Pepino Dulce/Solanum muricatum

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67352/
Good Mornin'!!
Please bear with me while I learn - and my apologies for "duh" questions..I promise I'll catch on with time...LOL
With regard to the Pepino Dulce - does this tree require growing 2 in order to produce fruit. I'm so confused as to which plants require 2 and/or male and female (i.e. Kiwis)...I think I need fruit growing for dummies (which sadly, there probably is at my local Borders...LOL)

Greensburg, PA

To my knowledge, pepino dulce is self fertile like tomato plants. I also do not think it is a tree, but rather a bush (it does not overwinter here).. I have grown this one from seed and harvested some fruit but have read that the best varieties are propagated from cuttings. I love the sweet, pearlike aroma of the ripe fruit, but think the taste is somewhat boring. It is difficult for me to get it to fruit in zone 5, so I have given up growing it, at least until I get a greenhouse.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting...thank you. Does make me wonder why they describe the fruit as having a cantaloupe x honeydew melon taste.

Greensburg, PA

I could not argue with that description of the taste, except that it is very mild. It is melon like in taste to me. If the fruits matured a month or two earlier or where larger or a little bit more strong in taste, then I think it would be a very popular fruit.

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Pepino is actually related to eggplants, they only get a couple feet tall, definitely not a tree.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Luzi - that's even better as it would be container grown for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.