CLOSED: offered:  Sunshine Tree seeds (Senna surattensis)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's another limited quantity offer . . . Back again but not to be "delivery delayed" by any stinky old pump dysfunction this year - - Sunshine Tree (Senna surattensis) . . . a.k.a "Scrambled Egg Tree" or "Glossy Shower".

Here's info on this plant:   http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64960/ . . . You can also view there a few pictures that I took of the plants from which these seeds come.

What I need:  
A self-addressed envelope (SAE) of self-addressed bubble envelope (SABE) enclosed with 59˘ in loose U.S. postage stamps. Please make note on the lower left corner of the outer envelope:   "Sunshine Tree".

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail for my postal info,
using this link == >   http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo   and request my postal mailing address.

ATBTY !       ~       ŁazŁo   ;--)

1. susan505
  2. cymoril99
  3. starsplitter7
  4. Patti1957
  5. jenlee
  6. gammy3

# # # # # # # # # # # # #     C L O S E D     # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Due to lack of further interest, the seeds are being donated for soil conservation.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by LazLo
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I would love some seeds if you think they will grow in zone 6/7 we are right on the line. Have really hot dry summer, but I have pleanty of water to put down and some frezzing temps in the winter. Susan

Steelville, MO(Zone 6a)

I would like to try some to but wander if they will survive in my zone.They are so pretty.....Thanks,Tina

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Susan & Tina - - around here these are cut way, way down for winter . . . they tolerate heat very well (these are also grown extensively in southern Vietnam, i am told) , , , here they bloom until mid-January then most folks prune the be-jeezuz out of them. these grow back to full height - - nearly 16 ft. - - pretty darned fast.

Once established, regular watering should be sufficient, Susan.

Tuna - i suggest you use some seedlings as plants for planting in the ground and at least one for growing in a large container that can be sheltered in winter should the ones in the ground keel over from the cold . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Steelville, MO(Zone 6a)

I guess sometimes you really don't know if it will grow in your zone till you try. I will do what you said. I will send an envy tomarrow. Thanks so much for sharing!.....Tina

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I recieved some of these seeds from Lazlo back in July or August and I started a few. I can tell you this. Easy to germinate on a wet paper towel and need to be potted right up then soon potted into a bigger pot. The roots grow like crazy in a black pot in the sun. Tells me they like heat. I started the seeds in August and today I have a couple that are 2 Ft high planted outside.

Important part. We got an unusual cold period this winter with temps down to 22-24 degrees for a few nights in a row. That is where they stopped growing and browned up a little. Leaves didn't fall off but they did lose their green color and a few turned a little brown. That was in late Jan. I think and right now they are putting out new leaves and growing again. Taking a guess, these guys aren't going under 20 degrees without die back. For me it's prefect so far and I will let these guys get up to full height most likely pruned into a small tree. Also I didn't put any protection around or over the seedlings.

I'm taking some pictures tomorrow so I'll take a picture of one of these guys.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I would absolutely love a couple seeds. :) I think this would grow well in Florida. Do you know if this is the Senna that Yellow Sulfer Butterflies like? I am just curious (and it would be a bonus). I think it would be nice to have some color.

I will put a SABE in the mail on Saturday (have to go out and buy one :). Thank you.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

starsplitter7:   you do not have to buy a bubble envy . . . i have plenty of bubby wrap so just send a regular business size envy and loose stamps . . . i will put the Lion's Tail seeds in the same envy after i receive it from you.

Thumbnail by LazLo
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much for letting me know. I am catching on. :)

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I will get my envie in the mail on mon when i go to town. thanks susan

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Here's a picture of a sunshine tree started in August and over wintered in the ground. New leaves are just coming out if you look close.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I would like to try this. I will put a SABE in Mondays mail.

Thank you,
Patti

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Patti1957 - - see my note to starsplitter7 (above. Mar. 19)

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry I missed that. A business size envelope with loose stamps will be in the mail on Monday. Thanks LazLo.

Patti

Collierville, TN

Hi Don, please count me in. Thanks, Jen

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

bump . . . still plenty to share . . .

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Little update. Not sure if the cold browned up my leaves now. All the old leaves are simply turning brown and falling off as the new leaves grow in. Might just be it's spring cycle. I didn't really pay that much attention to it so maybe the cold didn't get it.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

boop . . .

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Hello again...would like to try container growing this baby too....will have env.with stamps mailed in 2 days. Thanks ever so much for all your sharing...Helen

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Lazlo,

I WS these seeds you sent and I have babies growing!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

fantastic ! here in OzTown it has been springtime since the second week of Feb . . . all my WS trays started bursting by the first of this month - - i've moved up my garden schedule a full 5 weeks . . . right now i am doing chores and projects i had planned for early May . . . too bad we only got three days of rain since October though . . .

ATBTY !

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

# # # # # # # # # # # # #     C L O S E D     # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Due to lack of further interest, the seeds are being donated for soil conservation.

Thumbnail by LazLo

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.