WESTERN HUMMINGBIRDS VOL 1

Klamath River, CA

As per pelle's request I'm starting this new thread. I chose this pic of the South side of a female Rufous Hummingbird looking North because of the tail fan which according to resin is the best way to ID them.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Good one adel! Thank you!

Klamath River, CA

A male Rufous that just showed up today (first of the year) and he's still a little camera shy.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Awww he's adorable adel!

Woodbridge, VA

Your little Hummers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

They are so cute Adel!

Renton, WA

We are blessed to have these year around.
Some pictures of Anna's

Thumbnail by dirt_in_ozone7b
Renton, WA

anna

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for starting this thread, Adel. I have looked at the RT thread and added a bit there, (remember them from days living in Minnesota) but am now happy to see our side of the world represented as well. I put out my feeders on the 15th, as usual, but have yet to have a customer! This is late for here, but the weather has been so rotten so far this "spring" that I am not surprised. I did have an Anna's visit my suet on my regular bird feeder on New Year's Day, but that was the only time I have seen it. Was having a party, so had a bunch of witnesses! I will be anxious to watch for the progress this direction. Sharon

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics dirt!

PNW, Can't wait to see your pics when you get them.

Renton, WA

Pelle, thank you
Mountain Girl-- I leave my feeders out year round. Once Anna's find food and have some shelter, they reside
and soon you are "adopted" and have this gratifying relationship of a few birds who you will swear "know" you
and sing (rasp) and buzz you in seeming acknowledgement-- its all so anthropomorphic but its fun and I
want these little featherballs around.
This year I had to wrap the feeders and put out one light to warm at least one. The little guy didn't venture off
too far and most times I would walk past him with hardly any fuss. So maybe next year you could
try one and get adopted.
(posted prev on daily bird thread)

Renton, WA

snowy December 21 and it was sooo cold and this hummer would sit out close to the house
and when you pass the window it would "sing" and preen and sway its head back and forth
and after awhile so did I and had friends over who did the same bobbing and weaving and
creating that rasping song. You just wanted to let him in for the night and was happy to see him the next day.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 8:47 PM

Renton, WA

same guy.

Renton, WA

and one more.

Marlton, NJ

Oh dirt how sweet he is!! Great pics!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How wonderful to have one as a year-round co-resident.

Renton, WA

hey Pelle remember when I said I decorated the feeder Christmasy style
in honor of my 3 sisters esp the "crazy one" who collected doll heads?
I found pics of a small part of her collection so you could see how
appropriate it was.
pic ot the feeder for Xmas

Renton, WA

and her collection-

Renton, WA

anyways back to hummers.
Todays pic -- they seem to like this perch -

Marlton, NJ

Very unigue dirt! :-) Love the hummer, glad they like the perch!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

OK, so they are finally arriving! Had two hummers at my feeder around 6 this evening. They were pretty skittish yet, but think I had a male rufous and a male Anna's. More tomorrow when I get another look.

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations PNW!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

My 4 Anna's have been here all winter, but I now have a pair of Rufous hummers. The funny thing for me this year is that so far there haven't been any birds arguing over the feeders. Usually when the Rufous' arrive the fights begin.

Here's a photo of a Rufous from last year.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

One of my Anna's females.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

A pair of Rufous' from last year.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Oh duc I love that last catch on the pair of rufous but their all wonderful!!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice ones Duc...geez am I jealous!!!

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

we have several Anna's that regularly dive bomb the feeders. As requested by Pelletory, I'm posting this here from Bird Files.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

Duc, excellent shot of the duo in flight!
Kelseyville eh? We're practically neighbors!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Neighbor begoniacrazii. Nice photo of your Anna's. Are you seeing any Rufous' yet?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful shot begoniacrazii!

thanks Duc, Not yet this year and I've only ever seen one, last year or the year before. She didn't stay around that I could tell, I only saw her briefly.

thanks Dellrose!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

My female Rufous hummingbird is still quite shy so my photo had to be taken quickly through the window. Sure hope she's got her nest all set up. We're surrounded by heavy brush and trees which makes it good for her, but not for me to find her spot.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's another old shot of one of my year round Anna's. They love my solar fountain which I'll soon be putting back out for them to enjoy.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That Rufous is so pretty and that Anna's shot is just gorgeous Duc!!

Great capture on the Anna's at the fountain!

Marlton, NJ

Love that fountain pic!

Klamath River, CA

I hadn't seen any hummers for the past three days until this male Rufous showed up this evening.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

So cute adel!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

He's a beauty Adel!

By the way, I've been volunteering with some biologists and banding hummingbirds in our area. When you folks photograph your hummers, please remember to see if there's a band on their legs. The band is very small, but you should be able to see them.

Here's one of the photos where you can see the small band-sorry it's not real clear.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.