Chit Chat - Everyone Welcome - Part 116

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961649/

Good job! but why no picture??

Here are some things that are blooming for me!

Bromeliad (rescued from the side of the road last year and now rewarding me)

Thumbnail by

Another one; almost all of my bromeliads are rescues or trades.... I bought a few here and there. Some came from the 'dead rack' at Lowes.

Thumbnail by

This is one I bought...

Thumbnail by

A reason why I like the ground orchids under my plumeria trees

Thumbnail by

Blooming so early...you really must have a wonderful climate there, Hetty

It's why I live here :-)

Uncarina granddidieri has responded well to being put in the ground after living in a pot for several years.

Thumbnail by

I wanted to live farther south, but DW's son lives here, so we started looking at houses here. Couldn't convince her otherwise.

One of the really fun Crown of Thorns plants; I have quite a variety of colors.

Thumbnail by

A different one

Thumbnail by

Jatropha multifida - what an easy plant to grow!

Thumbnail by

Blue pea vine - this will bloom all year round.

Thumbnail by

I have forgotten what this sprawling bush is called; the blooms have an intense sweet almond fragrance.

Thumbnail by

I have an EE that over-wintered in a pot really well. It'll be going in the ground soon...

Thumbnail by skaz421

That is a beauty!! What is it called?

Here is a blooming Aloe plant.

Thumbnail by

Sorry, it's the best I could do...

It's a variegated Alocasia Mac-whatever-it-is

Gets big

With all of that - THIS is what makes my heart beat faster LOL - inflos on my plumeria.....

Thumbnail by

It's coming, Hetty - it looks as though it's dying to burst open, doesn't it?

macrorrhizos is the word I was looking for. I've already traded a pup, and it's not out of the pot yet!

Now I'm getting antsy, have to go play in dirt.

Nice talking to everybody.

Jacksonville, FL

Hetty
I won't be seeing any inflos this year!!! The lips and trunk are mushy on mine - some all the was to the ground! Waaaah!
Last summer I had 7 to bloom I want to cut them back but and scared that we may have another artctic blast fore Spring gets here for good

Cut them back asap or the rot will travel downward.
Cut all the way to white wood (and hopefully white running sap). This may be down to the ground... but it will come back.

Linda,

If you Google "worm farm Florida" or try "wormery Florida", you'll find castings closer to you. I found several of them that way. They're all over the state.

Steve

Now everybody went away Googling....

LOL
I need to get back to weeding ...

Me too, Hetty. Last cup of joe before I go...

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Good Morning, all! DutchLady - your white sprawling flower could be Meadow Sage? Salvia nemarosa 'snow hill' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/68585/ I bought a pot of it recently but haven't put it in the garden yet. I didn't notice a pleasant smell from the flowers, only a strong odor of the leaves smelling like cat pee, so maybe it is not what your plant is.

Christina and I are planning to make a rare appearance at our UU Church this morning, so we are up a bit earlier than usual for a Sunday. The choir is singing (in which I once participated, but couldn't keep up with the rehearsal schedule) and we need to say "thanks" to the congregation for their generous support during our recent financially lean times.

Friday the 13th lived up to its bad reputation for me: I was officially served notice of foreclosure for my house. It was a huge surprise and made me angry and hurt because I thought I was still in a negotiating stage with the bank. All their previous E-mails were about me sending in financial info with the bank offering a possibility of payments of "interest only" for a few years, so the foreclosure notice seemed premature. I am still working with the city foundation that provides foreclosure assistance and will try to get in to see a Legal Aid Society attorney this week, but that requires showing up early in the morning, waiting in line, and being one of the first 55 people in the line. I am not distraught (yet) because there is still time to turn the situation around through several means, but it was just very disturbing to find that the bank had skipped over the offer to work with me and went straight to foreclosure proceedings. It will take a lot of energy, focus, and resources of my talents to see this one through, but I will do what I can to keep my house and gardens. I've never been in a house that felt so much like my "cosmically intended" home.

On a brighter note, here's a photo of my Cherokee Rose (Rosa laevigata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55764/ that will soon reach its flowering peak. The only downside is that it only blooms once a year in the springtime, but it puts on a great show when it does. It is not a native plant, but has naturalized throughout the eastern states and is the Georgia State Flower. The story for it is that the colonists brought it over from Europe to keep deer out of their vegetable gardens. The thorns on the Cherokee Rose are large enough to do some real damage if the deer try to walk through it, and it grows into such an immense thicket that the deer can't jump over it. It requires no care and has no diseases. From what I've read, it was one of the roses used in the hybridization of the 'Knock Out' roses.

Christina is rethinking her attendance at church today. She was in a screaming rage yesterday (not directed at me, but at her work situation) and kicked something hard enough to possibly re-break a big toe. If I were not also a red head, I might not understand, but I am and I do. LOL

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Jeremy, I hope things get better in the foreclosure situation very soon for you! Hoping for Christina's toe to feel better too.

Just had to add a picture of my COT, this one has flowers that have flowers, so neat.

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

Jeremy,

What about the new Obama stimulus package? I know there are billions allocated to help prevent foreclosures...is that program up and running yet?

Re-negotiating mortgages, etc. - it's been all over the news.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - after being unemployed for so long, I know where you're coming from.

Steve

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Dutchlady, your white flowering shrub is called sweet almond. Its botanical name is Aloysia virgata.

Jacksonville, FL

Yikes Jeremy hopefully Chris's tow will heal fast and the forclosure thing will resolve in your best interest.
I too am having bizarre sleeping patterns due to my new meds. I am now back on Paxil after 7 years being off it. I began having panic attacks again an crying uncontrollably at work. So back ion the meds I went. I am waking up in the middle of the night WIDE awake like it's the afternoon and then crashing again and sleeping late..I didn't wake up till 10:30 AM today...very late for me. But I was awake for 3 hr last night. I knew I was having a problem when I didn't even fell like going outside to tend to the plants and wanted to watch day time tv...ahhhhhh I can't stand daytime tv, too trashy.

Michelle..I am so sorry about the DH and your back. I too suffer from back pain..I have a bulging disk between L4- L5, that pinches my siatic nerve. I was told to not bend stoop, twist or lift anything over 10 pounds..I laughed at the dr because at the time I was diagnosed my kids were toddlers..all over 10 pounds. I took and easy and today I will avoid things that I know I will end up paying for later pain wise. Just rest until you get the go ahead from the dr..you will be out in the garden soon enough..in time for spring when things are ACUTUALLY GREEN not brown.LOL

This message was edited Mar 15, 2009 11:23 AM

Hetty,

Been trying to trade for a Buddha Belly...hard to find. It's still early, though - most of the country isn't thinking garden yet. I'll find one.

Sweet Almond for a shrub that smells like sweet almond, that totally makes sense for a change!! Thanks for the 'proper name' amygirl.
Jeremy I am very sorry about the foreclosure, but maybe it will just be a pain in the neck dealing with it for a while and you'll come out ok. Fingers firmly crossed!!
Steve, do you mean the Buddha Belly bamboo?

Hetty,

Isn't jatropha multifida also called a Buddha Belly? Or is it a diiferent jatropha?

Let me go look in PlantFiles.

Steve

oops - it's jatropha podagrica that's the Buddha Belly:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2445/

I've grown them both, got them confused. Lot of that going around lately.

So many Jatropha varieties....
This one is one of my favorites I have to say, with its lacy leaves.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Fleur, it's time to bring out the Gloxinia. Mine has already started, with the velvety leaves...also the Alchimenes is ready to come out of hibernation

Thumbnail by monschi
Saint Petersburg, FL

Alchimenes

Thumbnail by monschi

I love watching tiny plants come up - so tentative, and so vulnerable.

It's hard to imagine that in just a few short weeks, they'll be on top of the world:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6271017

Steve

Thumbnail by skaz421

Cute shot, Steve.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.