Question about liatris

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

I purchased a small bag of these little marble sized bulbs and wondered if I could put them in a pot and put them outside now. I saw where you can wintersow the seeds so I thought maybe I could go ahead and put them in dirt outside and maybe they would come up when the time is right. Anyone?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Hi Shirley :) Not 100% sure if it would be safe to plant them in the ground yet, the biggest concern would be for them getting too wet this early in the year, the cold AND wet will rot them. You could certainly plant them in pots and leave them outside. Just make sure you place them in an area where you know they won't drown or stay too wet! We had a bunch of small pots of bulbs which were given to us the end of January. They were all hardy Crocus, etc. so we just left them outside because they had supposedly been overwintered outside. Upon inspection after last week's snowstorm, they were all soft and rotting even though they were sprouting new foliage :(

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Deb. I think I will put them in pots and leave them inside for a couple of weeks and then maybe put them outside. I can't rely on the weather to be what it should and I really wanted them to grow. I would hate for them to rot and I believe it may be safer just to do it inside. Thanks for responding.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome :) And I hear you re: the weather - 78 degrees one weekend, snow the next! Was just getting excited about major clean up in the gardens and then cold rain yesterday quickly put an end to that :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.