URGENT: How to rescue lovebirds???

Phoenix, AZ

Here's the situation. I have a pair of obviously lost lovebirds on my patio. They seem to be tame but just come close and won't light on my hand. One perched on the French door and, thinking they wanted in, I opened the door. It's still open. How do I capture them?? They must belong to someone close by? Help, help!!!

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I found a "lost" one in my yard once. Be careful, they bite HARD! I did manage to grab it but I sure paid for it.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A large towel or a throw, just lay it right over them.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Funny I just d-mailed that to her :o)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

:o)

Phoenix, AZ

Well, it wasn't that hard after all. I left the patio door open and while I was corralling the dogs, they went inside! Here they are perched atop the French door.

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

A closer view. I got the door closed and now they're flying around the room, squawking. Now what! I put a plate out with blackberries and some sliced apple. Should I try and find a cage and put some straw inside? I'm counting on you all; I've never kept a bird.

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Great! At least you got them captured and out of harms way. Now what are you going to do?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Start calling the neighbors? Put up signs?

Phoenix, AZ

~~Now what are you going to do?~~

Very funny; that's what I want to know! First I have to get them into a cage somehow. Anybody got any advice how to do that? Other than go get a cage first! This is a house of windows and doors. Not to mention CATS! I need to contain them and then I'll start trying to find out where they came from.

While I'm looking for a cage, will someone tell me how to get them into it? Please....

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 1:55 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a fun problem to have. I have no slightest idea, other than have a cage with some of their fav. snack inside to lure them in? Best of lucks. Look at those adorable pair! No wonder they're called lovebirds. :-)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm guessing that they are probably scared and more than a little disoriented. Is it possible to cover the windows so it's not so bright (calming for them), and get the cats into a different part of the house? Then if you give them a little time to calm down they might be a bit more cooperative. If they are used to being in a cage, they might actually welcome the safety of one and go in on their own accord once they calm down.

I'm not a bird person, so I really don't know. I'm just trying to think like a bird.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

Hey tomato, all you have to do is get a cage, put seed and water in it, line it with news paper, and wait for them to get hungry, they will go in. They should already be use to a cage, and probably go in and out at will. Put the cats in another room, until you have them in the cage. Then you can find out who owns them. good lake! Krispi PS, be sure to cover them at night, with a very light cloth.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 4:09 PM

Phoenix, AZ

Here's some info, take a look. You know there are large populations of peach faced love birds in phoenix. These people may be able to help.

http://mirror-pole.com/collpage/pf_loveb/pfl_1.htm

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

And put the berries and apples in there too...hunger will send them in the right direction.

Alan

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

If you're against trying to towel them yourself, then yes, put somefood and water in a cage very near and visible to them and wait. Put something bright colored in it, that should help draw their attention to it.

I haven't heard of any missing lovebirds so hopefully they belong to someone close to you and haven't been gone long. Does it look like they have full flight feathers?

You have 2 different species there, a blue black masked and a fischer's.

Phoenix, AZ

They've made themselves right at home. There are no cats in the room. the birdies could clearly see the salivating cats through the glass door to the kitchen - and seemed totally nonplussed. Still, I'm taking no chances. Cats are reeeeeely disappointed. Right now the lovebirds are 'roosting' on top of the exposed ductwork.

I realized I have a cage in the room that I use to isolate sick kitties. It hasn't been used for months so I cleaned out one large cell, put some newspaper down, a box with straw in it, the plate of food and a dish of water. Since I read Fishies link, I think I'll put a mirror and some jingly, shiny toys in there to try and lure them in. I saw them checking out the cage soon after they entered the room so maybe this will work.

Should I go get birdseed? Sunflower seeds? What do they like most?

Pueblo West, CO

I think the easiest way to catch them would be a net if you happen to have one. They may have to get totally famished before they will go into a strange cage.

I think the orange face one looks like a hybrid (masked/peachface).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pueblo West, CO

A huge favorite treat is the millet sprays.

Phoenix, AZ

Lynn, they are a bonded pair, no doubt. I think they must have come from somewhere close, but they can certainly fly. I think while I'm trying to lure them into the cage, I'll check to see if someone has put fliers up. When I called PetSmart looking for some advice, the clerk I spoke with said he knew a pair was missing from a Mesa home. Seems the boyfriend got mad when girlfriend broke up and he let the lovebirds out. Seems odd they'd come this far looking for me. ;o)

Phoenix, AZ

Nancy, is a millet spray just a stalk of grain? Where do you get it?

Pueblo West, CO

You can get it at Walmart in the pet section.
http://www.greatcompanions.com/store/picturepopup.aspx?id=6051

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

They should eat fruits and vegetables - greens, apples, berries, bananas - it depends on how they were raised. You can also try a little cooked oatmeal or something similar (trying to think of things you have at home) - just NO salt or additives to whatever you give them. And no avocado, rhubarb, fruit pits, chocolate, or coffee (you'd be amazed what they will go for) - those are the big no-nos. You could try some dry wheat toast, too.

Also, they might go for a small open box or some kind of cloth hut. Lovebirds are very nesty and like dark holes - watch it or they will be in your cupboards! LOL

Thank you for going to the trouble to help them. I have nightmares about our birds getting lost and not being helped.

Here's another site to check - http://www.911parrotalert.com/ - and post that you have found them.

Kathleen

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for all the help. I've posted a 'found' in the link Kathleen provided. Now, I'm off for some millet, some more fruit and some toys. They are now perched on a high window ledge and the cage is all the way across the room. The bright colored one (Fischer's?) is a bit 'ruffly'. Should I be worried that she has her feathers puffed out?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

In your pics I thought they both looked ruffled. They aren't exactly in a calm situation right now though so I wouldn't be worried at this point about ruffled feathers.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Best of luck in your rescue effort... you are very good at rescuing!

Phoenix, AZ

This adventure is aka "Cat TV". Just had to post this. They are fascinated!

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Too funny!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh that photo is hilarious! To me, that is, I can't imagine the birds are that tickled.

Gilbert, AZ

LMAO!!! Your cats look starving......for birds! I know someone who can keep them for you if they don't belong to the gal in Mesa.

If they don't fly into the cage on their own I wonder if you couldn't towel them when they go to sleep tonight? (Naive idea, probably)

Good luck!

Mesa, AZ

You can always wait until dark (it almost is now, but I haven't been home, sorry). turn off the lights and then approach them with the towel. Drop it over them (1 or both) and pick them up, put them in cage. I use bird nets, if you were closer I would bring one over to ya and then stay and help you catch them.
You can always make a fast/cheap net by making a circle out of a clothes hanger, then fasten a pair of nylons to it. Cut the legs off or tie them together (then cut them off, for ease of use) and just use the panty part as the net. A rough sewing job with yarn or even just duct tape it. then duct tape it to a handle from a broom or a mop, so you can reach them. Doesn't have to be too sturdy or fancy, you will only need to use it this one time to catch them.
Be aware, when you catch them they will scream bloody murder, but you are not hurting them, they are just protesting.

Let us know what happens!

Susie

Phoenix, AZ

These birds are unflappable - pardon the pun. The MOTH went into the room, sat down to read and next thing he knew, they were perched on his shoe! They walked up his leg and over his book, checked him out and then sat on the back of the sofa. I just came back with takeout MX food so I will ease into the room with a towel. Cross your fingers for me. Oh, yeah, almost forgot to say - I took a piece of whole grain bread in with me and it was a big hit! They were hungry.

Aren't they funny? It must be what they are used to. After all their adventures, it's not a big deal to them, I guess.

The photo of the cats is priceless. :-)

Phoenix, AZ

I'm crying.
I'm laughing so hard Bert thinks I'm sick.
This is one of the funniest threads I have EVER read! Tears keep flowing.

Alma! How much is this going to cost you? AND - THEN, best hope the kitties don't get hold of them!
OMG I'm laughing. I think you now have 2 LBs!
So funny!
You're a saint! When I get lost I want YOU to find me!!!!

Payson, AZ(Zone 6b)

This is tooooo funny. All I can say is when I had birds and they got out, I would us the towel. Toss it on them and then scoop them up. Be careful of the BITES>>> THEY CAN PENITRATE A TOWEL!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!! You do know that when you catch the birds, you are going to have some pretty peoed cats????? I'll bet they won't speak to you for days!!!!

Phoenix, AZ

I've used the towel technique, too. I used to have a parrot and used the towel during training. The beaks are sooooo powerful. Don't wear jewelry when playing with the birdies... they will CRUSH shiney objects. ... and after that.... they love to chew the buttons off of your blouse.

And whatever you do, don't let them near the remote!!

Phoenix, AZ

Well, I now have a big mystery. I went creeping into the dark room, towel in hand - a thick towel, mind you - ready to capture the little boogers and THEY HAVE VANISHED! I mean, I have crawled all over the floor, looked under every piece of furniture, over every ledge, in every nook and cranny, behind the TV and the speakers, even behind books in the bookcase. They are nowhere to be found. Just how devious are these little feathered escape artists??? How small a space can they squeeze into or through? If the A/C guys left a hole where the ductwork goes into the ceiling, they could be in the attic! Ay, yi, yi!

OK, keeping positive here, what happens in the morning? When do they wake up? Surely they'll come out looking for food. Then I get to start the big game hunt all over again.

Phoenix, AZ

Pay attention to the scat. That will tell you if they're still "guests" of Alma's.

They'll wake up when the sun comes up or shortly thereafter.

Told you they liked dark places! They are little breeding machines and if they are a bonded pair, they probably are building a nest somewhere. Wouldn't you? Out of the cold, food available, cushy furniture, hey they're in heaven! LOL They're probably used to finding a safe place at night. They'll probably come out in the morning, but you better find out where they were so you don't have a little pile of poop and chewed up whatever waiting to surprise you!

Sorry to laugh, but the first time I met our macaw was in a darkened house where I had to get her out of her cage and into a dog crate. She jumped on my shoulder and grabbed my ear - very gently, thank heavens. You're just making me remember my own adventure. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.