DayLilies, when 2 plant in Southern Delaware & rubber mulch?

Ocean View, DE(Zone 7b)

New house and just starting to plant things. This is the first time I've ever had sunny places to plant. I haven't done much outdoor gardening in the last few years. Mostly pots of tomatoes and herbs.

Is it too early to plant daylilies in my region? ( 8, I think.) I'm about 3 1/2 miles from the ocean. The rear of the house is most always sunny and looks out on to a pond. (We had 6 to 7 inches of snow when that storm came up the coast.)

I did plant two lilacs, eight daylilies and four coneflowers 2 days ago. We're supposed to go below freezing later this week. Will I lose what I just planted?

I also bought four hostas and two peonies to plant.

I bought the rubber mulch for what was already planted around the house. It looks great! Has anyone tried it?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The lilacs will be fine for sure, and the other plants are hardy, so as long as they were hardened off they should have no trouble... I've got daylilies outside in pots, and they've just been sitting out there all winter.

The rubber mulch looks like a great thing for some applications, but my soil isn't great to start with here, so I use the shredded wood mulch that gradually breaks down to enrich the soil.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi, gail~~
I expect everything willl be OK too. I'm cooler here, but my daylilies in the warm side of the house are really starting to grow! The soil is warming and they know it.

Rubber mulch should last pretty long. Only thing I don't like is that I dig so much, mulch tends to get mixed in and that wouldn't be too nice for me. Super for play areas though. I've seen it on playgrounds. I wonder what the voles think of it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Gail: I completely agree -- the daylilies will be fine. They are tough babies. So should your other plantings. The only concern I might have is if the plants have been in a greenhouse environment and you plunged them into freezing weather -- that might give them a bit of a start.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
The only concern I might have is if the plants have been in a greenhouse environment and you plunged them into freezing weather...

Excellent advice :) As long as the plants have been "cold grown" (no heated greenhouses) they should do fine. If they've been grown in heated greenhouses those poor babies more than likely haven't seen any temperatures below 45 and the freezing temperatures will definitely set them back. It won't actually kill them but the fresh "soft" foliage will suffer. Everything you've listed is pretty tough :) The only exception would be the Echinaceas and Hostas. Do they actually have foliage showing? If so you might want to wait or at the very least cover them with pine boughs or something similar to give them a little extra protection.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.