Which all white (or mostly white) Iris would you choose?

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Susan,

Skating Party is a good bloomer and does well every year up here in the mountains.

Skating Party

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Our 'Immortality' never made it through the first winter.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 7:48 PM

Raleigh, NC

I forgot that one! it grows quite well for me here. the bloom is fairly good size and the increase is moderate, but then again everything near it rotted!

found some of my photos - I'm still getting the hand of immediately naming them, so most are unlabeled. here's great one of Bride's Halo. I consider it white. It seems to depend on the light as to whether it appears white or pale yellow from a distance. mostly it looks bright white

Thumbnail by bonjon
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Diamond Bracelet. This is not my photo, came from Plant Files.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love the edges on Diamond Bracelet.

Santa Ynez, CA

I guess at this point it has to be Mesmerizer for me..........

Thumbnail by makj
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely. Somehow I don't have that one. I will have to get it.

Hebron, KY

I love the look of 'Diamond Bracelet' and just email Schreiner's (the hybridizer) to see if they have a rhizome to sell me (it's not in the catalog this year) and they stated, "Sorry, Diamond Bracelet has been deleted from our stock. We do not have any to sell."

Guess I'll have to find it elsewhere or not have it at all. I'm going to add it to 'my trade list/want list' on the PF.

Marilyn

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I did look for Diamond Bracelet in a Google Search and the only place that claimed to sell it no longer takes orders. The only thing I know to do is to Dmail the people who posted photos of it and see if they would like to sell or trade it.
But you can console yourself that there are many other beautiful whites on the market and some have been popular for years -- you could fill a large space with beautiful white iris, so try not to get hung up on just one. If Schreiners' is no longer selling it, I bet they have a newer one they like better.

Raleigh, NC

yes, they came out last year with an incredible white, don't recall the name.

Diamond B. is not increasing for me worth a bean. it's not blooming that well either. that may be the problem. I can just imagine when they get negative feedback from differing climates, once their intro's spread around the country, they pull any that don't perform in a stellar fashion. I just had to have one because of the name - figured it was the only way I'd ever get one!! LOL

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's funny, bonjon. I should have bought one, too. If you get a chance it would be helpful to put your experience with it in Plant Files. I bought "Winterfest" last year which I hope does something. So far, I feel good about Immortality and Lark Ascending. Maybe I will have more white favorites after the May-June bloom season.

Raleigh, NC

Winterfest, that may have been the new one.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is a Schreiner's and there are raves about it in Plant Files and some journals.

South Hamilton, MA

I think that it also has a white beard. Maybe you want that, or perhaps a different colored beard. So you have that type of choice.

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

The beard of Winterfest is a very pale blue at the tip, pale yellow deeper in the throat.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Schreiner's 2007 CE catalog: WINTERFEST (Schreiner 2005) ML. 40" $40.00
"The huge arctic white flowers have an ice-blue tint (see picture below). Winterfest's flowers
also have lavish ruffles, a wide rounded form and a wax-like appearance. This glacier beauty
will stand out like a snow queen in any colorful garden". Pic indicates faint yellow on rear of
beard. 2008-$35.00 2009-$25.00

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's the one. I have heard people on DG rave about it.

Santa Ynez, CA

still waiting for Winterfest to BLOOM,,,,,,,

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Me, too, but I only put it in last summer. How long have you been waiting.

Santa Ynez, CA

I think it is going on 3 years.....

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Bloomed the first year for me and every one since. Increases like mad, too. Maybe it prefers colder winters than it gets in California?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I hope that is the case, because I have it and read about how outstanding it was.

Santa Ynez, CA

well I will just wait patiently:)

Gainesville, TX

I like frequent flyer for the shimmer

Thumbnail by sharondippity

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.