Show and Tell

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay, so I've been out once again this a.m. trying to singlehandedly keep the nursery trade afloat...heh heh heh, oh, I've been having SUCH a good morning! I love Breath of Heaven /coleonema, but something about the pink flowers has always bothered me...I've grown it and actually pulled it out because of the pink flowers, just too pretty or something. I've never seen the white flowered form available, so either it sells out right away or nobody likes it because the pink is favored, so instead of waiting and waiting to someday run across the white, I finally asked our own Andy Maycen, who's currently working Plant World, if he could order it for me and he did. (Thank you, Andy) So, I go over to pick them up and I'm going to take all 8 that he ordered, 'cause maybe he had to do a minimum order included with something else and I'll sell the ones I don't need. Ha! You see this coming, right? Then I looked at them and picked them up and smelled them and the greed took over and I knew I had to keep them all. Then I realized what I want to do with them and got *really* excited about them. Without planning on it, a lot of roses have ended up in the same section over on the west side of my house and I like some kind of 'unifying' plant in my beds...I've recently put into the ground 2 roses that had been in very large pots and thought that I'd like to put the white coleonemas in between each of the roses around in this section. Our house is white board and batten, so I really like tying in some white flowered plants to visually 'connect'. So, not only am I getting these beautiful plants, I actually know where I'm going to use them....oh, joy!
Then, on the way up to pay for these lovelies, I pass boronias...in flower....oh, dear. Do you know what boronias in flower smell like? Could you pass them up? Two of those jumped onto my cart. Then, of course, there were some really healthy Waverly salvias. Yes, I already have those, but these are really healthy looking and mine in the ground are in terrible soil and not thriving. These will go into the really *good* soil spots and I can also take cuttings from them immediately..win / win situation....Then I get to drive around for another hour with this incredible scent filling the car. I also went to check out a new just starting farmers' market where I will make tons of money to pay for all of the plants I buy..(yeah, right).
If you are not familiar with boronia, now, while it are in flower, is when you'll maybe find it at the nurseries...absolutely incredible fragrance...and the Breath of Heaven, likewise.
So, dinner is already planned..quick and easy Beef Dips. It's overcast and yucky outside, so I think I'll just curl up with my new stack of library books and be lazy, maybe even light the woodstove. Already made my Starbuck's stop for the day and a tumbler of Irish Cream this evening rounds out just about the perfect day....life is good.
These are my loot for the day:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

This is the white coleonema:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

This is the boronia...not visually exciting, but, oh! The fragrance!:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

--- it sounds like you had a perfect day! It is the best to know exactly where you are putting a plant when you buy it - and doesn't happen often enough to me.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

It very seldom, if ever, happens that way for me either...lol....

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

It has indeed been a very good day, especially so since most others days are not always this good, and, trust me, I deserve this one.....with things the way they are lately, we all need a really good day now and then and I'm not going to let anything spoil this one.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Now that you've got all your chores done, and made us drool, by all means, fire up that wood stove, have a nice warm drink and a good read.
I am amazed at how some plants want to go home with us so much that they "jump" into our shopping carts. LOL!
WIB,
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I can't begin to tell you how far the scent of the boronia carries...it perfumes the entire area. I've wanted this plant for years, I was just never in the right place at the right time and opportunity was shouting to me today. Tomorrow is definitely planting day...it's just making all of those wire baskets that I dread.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I tell you the more you post the more jealous I am of you growing conditions !! Nice looking plants though. Plants always want to adopt me and just jump right into my cart. A lot of them even mail themselves to me!!!!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, good grief.....another fragrant plant I never heard of (boronia) that I now have to investigate.....DARN it!
wc, which variety did you succumb to? I see in plantfiles there are several.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I know, Marie...we shouldn't have anything at all to complain about, huh? Other than the occasional (every October) wildfire. I got a guy at the Market on Sunday who wanted things to take back with him to Kingman (he'd grown up here and was back visiting), and wanted to know what of my stuff he could grow there and I had to admit to him that I hadn't a clue what he'd have to deal with there, that probably he could grow the greggiis and microphyllas, but the best I could tell him was to go online and check out High Country Gardens. If he comes back this week, I'll send him home with one of their catalogs...and his growing conditions would even be different than yours, right?

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

It's the boronia megastigma, 'Brown boronia' and it is absolutely fantastic. Word is that it's better grown in a container for loose, well draining soil and will maybe make it for 2-3 years and does better from cuttings than seed. I got a good idea from shushinggrasses....bring it inside for the night!! I hadn't thought of that...you just cannot believe how fragrant this plant is and how it carries. I'm pretty sure the only time of year you're going to find it in nurseries is now, while it's in flower, so if you're out hitting the nurseries, look for it, or follow your nose...lol...

Will do....guess it's time for the first major nursery crawl of the year.....thanks for the details!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sierra Azul usually has a nice selection of Boronias so you may want to head over there first--I think every time I've been there they've usually had B. megastigma as well as a number of other Boronia species.

No, no, no....you mustn't tempt me----I'm cleaning out my closet today!!! Sigh....guess I'll just have to plan a trip over the hill later this week; at least it's closer than Half Moon Bay...LOL!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I brought some Ceanothus cuttings in the house the other day and they reminded me of grape soda. Lasted one day and I was sneezing and had to take them out. :-(
Why don't you bring a few stems on Saturday, Sherry, so we can sample the scent? I'm glad you are enjoying it - you need some simple pleasures that don't require work!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

.. you are encouraging her, the plant pusher, and now you want her to bring some to the party, you will all become addicted!

Well, what do you think the RoundUp is for? LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

: D

-oh, don't mind me, I just wish I was going to the party!

There's still time to get a train ticket! I've always thought it would be fun to have a bunch of NoCA folks have a party train trip down here for our RU.

Too bad our state is so looooonnnngg and it takes a lot of driving to go from north to south. I miss visiting my brother near Yosemite as we used to do every year. Not to mention going to Oregon to visit my sis and mom. OTOH, I'm glad I live here and not there!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You have me so wanting to go find some boronia to smell them! I have never heard of that one either. I am so much like you. I see a well grown plant and just want it! And they want me! LOL And they take so much longer to kill when they are so robust!

LOL marieortiz! Yes, it is so amazing how they even know my address!

Sounds like you had a so perfect day, Wcgypsy. I love those myself! I am off on a plant adventure tomorrow and hoping for one myself!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, yesterday was good also...lol...never one to say no when the DH says "let's go", we took a run up the coast yesterday and stopped at a couple of my fave nurseries...well grown plant? Oh! They had a 5 gallon salvia Purple Majesty that was so healthy, so lush, so in flower....and it wouldn't fit into the Wrangler!!! I am soo tempted to want to go back today, really fighting the urge. This nursery carries salvias in 5 gallon sizes, I should know to never go in a vehicle that will not carry all that I want to bring home! Both of these nurseries carry good stuff, so I was surprised to not see boronia at either one, but yes, you really do want to find some somewhere and smell it while it's in flower. I'm definitely going to have to see if I have any luck with cuttings from it.

Let's see, Roger's and Plant Depot?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

WC yes his growing conditions are different than mine. Here is some info. I think he might have it better than me in the summer and get more rain.
The warmest month of the year is July with an average maximum temperature of 95.60 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is January with an average minimum temperature of 31.40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Temperature variations between night and day tend to be moderate during summer with a difference that can reach 26 degrees Fahrenheit, and moderate during winter with an average difference of 24 degrees Fahrenheit.

The annual average precipitation at Kingman is 10.00 Inches. Rainfall in is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The wettest month of the year is August with an average rainfall of 1.41 Inches.

Oh, I really like Roger's.....whenever we visit our friends in Long Beach, I have to add a stop there to the itinerary. Love the hanging succulent balls they make!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

hmmmm, I love the sound of a DG Party Train ! :D

We are visiting So Cal during Spring Break - sounds like I should add some stops to DH's itinerary.

I'm sure you will get lots of recommendations!

I like to use the "Go Gardening" feature here on DG when I'm going somewhere---just put in a zip code and I get a list of places and their reviews by DGers.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, K, Roger's and Plant Depot. Ima, if you make it as far down as Roger's, then you really should go on down to Plant Depot in Capistrano...more to choose from, better prices, great nursery. You'd also like Laguna Beach Nursery on PCH in Laguna, small, but really nice stuff, higher prices, but great design ideas also. There are these certain garden art stakes that I love and get in Julian and at Green Thumb in San Marcos for $17...they're $30 at Roger's...always bear that in mind. Roger's is very big on succulents and suculent displays right now.

I think I've been to Roger's 3 times and actually only bought one 4" plant. They are SOO expensive---my little Scottish soul just can't justify it. But it's a wonderful place to go for ideas and inspiration.
Next time we're down that way, I'll add Plant Depot and Laguna Beach, too. Can we see a picture of the garden art stakes?

I just finished cutting up a whole bunch of prunings to put in my veggie garden & hopefully keep the cats out. I was thinking I might be able to actually make something attractive out of copper wire and glass globs and clay......still gedunking the idea.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

They may not be fantastic to others, but I love them....I'm a sucker for anything with stars and moons:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Number 2:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Some months ago we were at Roger's and I saw some shelves and tables that I really liked...custom orders..around $700 each. Jer came home and made us a bunch like them in different sizes, shapes....this is why I love Roger's for ideas...(my apologies to the original designer of said tables):
Guess I should mention that I love old children's books and anything with crows also......

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 1:06 PM

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Number 2, these are made of steel and 'rusted', 'cause I like 'old':

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 1:05 PM

Thumbnail by wcgypsy

Well, it helps to have a clever man at home - he is an accomplished creator. Like your stakes.

Ima, my Scots-Irish blood rebels at Roger's prices, too. We only went there once and got several things on sale (which made them normal price) and it is fun to walk around. Even DH enjoyed looking at the outdoor rooms.

Plant Depot is really fun to browse in.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, K...you know I don't 'browse'. I don't do museums, either. If I want it and it's not for sale, I sulk.....

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I love Plant Depot's selections...think their prices are pretty good, too. Yes, Ima, make it to Laguna and Capistrano.....you could browse through Laguna and even go to the mission at Capistrano.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Drooling!
WIB,
SW

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh my, you do have a handy man at home - nice job!

we do have 3 kids taking up alot of room in our van (but I'm pretty attached to them :) - I don't think my DH will hook a trailer to the back for plants, unfortunately. Still, I'll add a couple of those to our trip. - take lots of pics for ideas.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, toots...you always have to leave room for plants....somehow.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.