Who let the frogs out? - Part 2

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945151/

Here's a little guy who was in the reservoir for our front water feature.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Eugene, OR

Now that's a FROG! Or a toad, whatever. Cute little thing. How'd you do with the polliwogs?

DH decided to leave them in the fountain. They are so tiny and seem to be doing OK. The fountain looks cruddy, but what the heck? Babies come first. Did you see our neat lizard on the other thread?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, he's a cutie.
Here is another photo of the one I found the other day, just a different view. They look smooth until you put on the macro setting, then they are bumpy skinned.
Glad the pollies are okay.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Eugene, OR

I love their little feet.

sis...my pond looks icky all winter. I have to go break up the ice regular so the critters have somewhere to get water.
I keep Mom's covered up, so it won't crack. Ours is plastic, just looks like stone, so it won't crack. We get pollies in it every once in a while. I have to check before I clean it out.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

there was a toad or frog croaking yesterday and it sounded like he was saying "how do you do" I actually turned around thinking someone was in my backyard !

cute pictures!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

"Welcome Wagon" must have expanded their hiring pool....LOL!

Eugene, OR

LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Raining today, only croaks I hear are complaints!
WIB,
SW

Eugene, OR

Snowing today, don't hear anybody.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

is it cold enough to stick Sally? Talked to my brother yesterday ( he lives in Portland) and they had snow on their rooftops.

It's beautifully sunny here - you getting alot of rain SW?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Enough to keep me indoors, and feeling miserable, but not enough to do much good. Still hoping for that March Miracle. We still need rain here.
Just as long as it comes after this Saturday's Mini RU at KC's place. I want to see them polliwogs with my own peepers.
I was out in the GH earlier, and I did hear one cranky toad. He left a nice present for me too. Good thing that toad poop hoses off the concrete easily. LOL!
If you've got sun today does that mean that we get sun tomorrow? Hmm. ^_^
WIB!
SW

We had cloudy skies, then a little sun, and it was very breezy!

The polliwogs look fine - I checked them today.

Eugene, OR

I can't go to the roundup. sniff, sniff...bwaaaaaa!

Nope the snow didn't stick, but it was the craziest day. Rain, hail, sun,sleet, snow, sun, more rain, wind (cold), blue skies, foggy, sun. It just kept changing all day.

Sounds like Spring up there, Sis. Sorry you can't come to the RU - that would be fun!

Eugene, OR

Post pictures!

Oh, we will, for sure!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Still hearing that cranky frog in the gh. Tadpole eggs seem to be surviving the puppy who thinks that is his pool. None in the big pond at all. Too many hungry goldfish and turtles I guess.
Miss that one with the Ribbet, RibBet, ribbeet! sound.
WIB,
SW

Eugene, OR

Mine have slowed down, but it's been really cold the last couple of days. 29 deg last night down to 25 tonight. Hopefully we're going to start warming up some starting tomorrow. I'm tired of the cold!! We're about 10 deg below normal right now and have been for a month.

Fresno, CA(Zone 10b)

We moved to the San Francisco Bay area from Sacramento 9 years ago and I have missed the songs of the frogs....too many people around here have poison sprayed around their homes to keep down the very bugs those frogs would eat...grrrrrr....envy your little croakers....enjoy them

Eugene, OR

That's a shame, I'm very careful what I use. Wouldn't want to hurt my little buddies. They're quite again tonight, it was really cold again today. Thermometer said 40, felt like 30.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We got babies, or tadpoles. Looky!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Eggs around the leaves, and tadpoles!
Too cool!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Their close up. Sorry about camera reflection, couldn't figure out how not to get that. Oh well.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Eugene, OR

That's cool!! What are they in?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My Dad gave me the idea of sinking a watering container for farm stock into a raised garden bed. I have a miniature water lily planted in there. Right now there are mosquito fish, aquatic snails, leaves, tadpoles and the water lilly. Am trying to keep a certain four footed fur ball from thinking it is his personal swimming pool! LOL!
Here's a photo of my pup, Spirit.
Fits his name.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Eugene, OR

If I'm getting this right, you can see below the water line?

Pretty puppy!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yup, you sure can. I don't know if you can see in this photo, but their is a shallow inverted pot holding that water lily where I told it to grow. If you look past the reflection of the small wire fencing I was erecting when I discovered the polliwogs, you will see red leaves rising to the surface of the container. Spirit keeps breaking off the leaves and messing with the tadpole eggs, and I want him to learn early that is not HIS place, but mine.
The algae is green and you should see it drifting away from the container edge.
Hope that helps.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Eugene, OR

They use that method for water plants at the Japanese Garden in Portland, so they can change them out when they're not blooming. That is too cool, to be able to watch them in the water.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My frogs and toads are very happy, and croaking like crazy. I was wondering if I was ever going to catch the Olympic caliber toad swimming in my pool. I've been evicting the toads just about every day.
Here's one now!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Closer up, and he is mad.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Those black lines around the rocks are all tadpoles!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Eugene, OR

Lots of tadpoles!!! LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Look at all these guys!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess feeding the turtle helps. LOL!
Last photo of the day.
A macro of the tadpoles in the algae.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Eugene, OR

The big tadpoles!! They must be teenagers. LOL

Wow, that's a lot of tadpoles! Your hyacinths look better than ours, SW - they haven't recovered much from winter yet. The water lilies have settled in nicely, though.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sally, They could be bullfrog tad poles. Those are larger than the regular kind. These are probably just toads. I'll try to take some pictures and catch them changing into toads/frogs.
KC, Thanks for letting me know that those flowers are hyacinths, couldn't remember what they are called. LOL! Hope yours come back for you soon.
I'm glad the lilies are settling in for you. Have they started blooming yet?
WIB,
SW

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

holy cow that is alot of tadpoles and they're HUGE!

No blooms yet, but it's been breezy and cool here. No doubt when we get a few days of warmth they will pop up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.