Sally....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

cool article - I swear I am the ONLY person in the world who murders them (pregnant onions) within minutes of bringing it home....:-(

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Becky--

WHAT do you do that "murders them"????

You plant them just like Amaryllis--half in--half out. They like well drained soil and do not like to be too wet. That is why I plant them in clay containers......kind of hard to over-water....

Other than that--I have NO idea what would "kill" them.. They really do not need any care.....
Try ignoring them.....no fuss-no muss......

When the time comes to put them outside--choose a morning sun, or filtered light spot.

That's about it!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

MOI?? I am humbled... Imagine clicking on your homey forum and seeing your own name ! .At least you have access to a plentiful supply, between Gita and me. Bec, you with all the cool caudiciforms (right?) I could see a little Preg O on one of your shelves. I have a golfball siz one to swap. or maybe Gita will get hers hacked apart for a bigger one. No fear, try again, we have all killed more expensive things, right?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I think I water too much - and the one on the shelf is something else - I think...I dunno what I do wrong, they just tend to keel over and rot - so I'm thinking too much water - why I grow succulents gawd only knows, they don't like too much water :-)

It's hard to look at a plant not swear it NEEDS some water! I have those baby Mammalarias from Froggy, five jammed together in a little tiny pot, stuck to each other by the spines. I didn't know what else to do with them. I guess i needed forceps to handle them! So they look 'fine' and I'm hoping there's some kind of roots starting...can't check.

I think somebody in Plantfiles does state that Preg Onion wants good drainage. Don't they all? Mine tend to run dry because I'm neglectfull.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes! They do need good drainage! I was told that by the person who gave me my first one years ago. I believe I added some sand and small gravel to the potting mix. Then I have always kept them in this big clay window box--and when I have divided and given them away--they have all been planted in clay pots.

Bec---You could try using cactus Soil? Do you use a clay pot?

G.

blush--yes it was Gita's advice that told me needs drainage...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Since you have "your own" thread, I thought I'd use it to ask about my Pig Ears. They are doing great btw. Can you tell me exactly (or kind of close) what they are. I looked up Pigs Ears in the Plant files and there are a lot of them many quite different. I was wondering how big they will get. I cut off the bottom two leaves and tucked them into the pot when I potted it up the larger piece and them seem to be rooting and look at the tiny babies on the edges of their leaves. How kool is that!

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Hee hee!
I defer to Chantells superior knowledge on these- she gave them to me.

It looks like some kind of Kalanchoe. Those babies seem to pop out especially with some stress. I have a cut-off leaf sitting on soil of another plant and babies growing- Kool!

I had a small plant at beginning of last summer and put it outside. By end of summer it was about 12 inches tall, and the leaves were getting a bit bigger each layer. The big leaves you have are about as big as they got. Mostly erect stems, like a Sedum. Looks like it would readily bush out with pinching/( trimming and rooting LOL). I had the clay pot half-sunk in the ground-- I don't know if that helped or hurt.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"superior knowledge" *choking* THERE'S a first...ROTFLOL
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/165484/ Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi 'Variegata'

^_^
Those in Plantfiles look really good. I probably starved mine and left it too dry.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Then you have mine - frozen to a nondescript soup

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Chantell and Sally. LOL
I just love these. So cute.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just looked that up didn't realize that it isn't hardy in our area. I did notice Sally's comment about the half burried pot. It will fit in here really well as lately I seem to be buying a lot of non-hardy plants that need to be dug up in the fall. LOL

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Any one starting some of those beauties for Holly's Swap. Hint, hint I'd love to have one. Please.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just planted a lot of rooted Spider Plants.....Must have about 10 by now!
Of course--I have the Red Epis--and some of the rooted "Rose Souvelons" Brugs!!!!
HEY!!! One of these cuttings has a bud that will open any day now!!!! Amazing!!!

Chaantelle---Loved your pictures of the maya and Chloe!!! I did not even know the plant I gave you had a bud!!!!! A surprise to me as well.

Still have to cut back my aging Swedish Ivy and root all the cuttings They go straight into the soil---in bunches of THREE!!!! to make a nice plant! This is important!

Also have a bunch of the dark maroon Begonia Leaves rooted (got the Mama from Jill). It grew really big and I transplanted it last summer into an 8" pot.....Guess that was a No-No....Looked great for a while and then most of the leaves started dying off.....
I should know better--from all my experience with my Beefsteak Begonia....Even if you bury a small section of the growing leaf under the soil--it will be a gonner! It is so hard to keep it just at the right level as I transplant sections or rooted leaves......
In a way--you want to "anchor" it to help keep it upright----and, at the same time, I know it will be doomsday for some of the leaves....However---I will sacrifice the leaves (as I can root them) in favor of having the section take hold and grow.

Boo-Hoo on the weather--again!!! Cold and wet.....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady I was thinking of it, mine is pretty small, so the plants wouldn't be big but I might get a couple of them. Maybe someone else would have bigger plants. But I can put you on the list.

ladyg--I'll root some or at least have cuttings. Heck, I have these babies started, so I have the whole mama to cut up. But won't, I'll just get cuttings!!

hey Chantell, those baby Tiare I just repotted...I went from six sickos to three real quick! Oh well, it was one of those whatever doesn't kill it will make it stronger situations.! They had very tiny fine roots and not much of them.

I now have the baby Tiare, some seed pots , and some Brugs all surrounded with some mini Xmas lights for gentle warmth, as we are on a chilly house mode this winter. If the thermostat says 64, then surely it could get a couple of degrees colder than that in the bedroom by the window, or downstairs.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Sally - you're my hero - growing those from seed!!! I didn't even get sprouts!!

Gita - No where did I see a bud...this baby came from no where...seriously....it was the scent that caused me to go "in search of"

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL Chantelle---
And--YOUR nose.....knows........:o)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL....hey, love my smellie goods!!!

Sally - found you another one: http://summerhillseeds.com/kennedia-nigracans-black-coral-pea-new-for-2009-p-769.html?cPath=111&zenid=a0fddab96bc45c1d0fb94f706fbf84e5

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.