Need bulb advice for neighbor

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

My neighbor asked me yesterday about some bulbs she bought last year and didn't get planted in the fall. She wanted to know if there was any way she could plant them now and "trick" them into blooming this spring. I don't have any experience with bulbs, but I think I know the answer will be no. I told her I'd ask you all and let her know.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm no expert by any means but, what are the bulbs and where were they stored? If spring blooming bulbs and went through a chill period, who knows, might work. But then they did not have time to establish a root system.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I got some bulbs a few years ago and forgot about them. They were actually kept in the house but I went ahead and planted them in early, early spring and most of them bloomed. Anyway, tell her to go ahead and plant them now. If they don't bloom, they'll at least have a chance to start storing up for next spring.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I agree with hart, what has she got to lose? Even if they don't bloom this year at least she'll have blooms next year! Rick did the same thing one year, forgot about them in the closet and planted them in early spring. I think most of them bloomed, a little pathetic, but they looked much better the next year :)

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the input. I'll let her know. She always has good intentions but she also has a black thumb.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They do need that cooling off period, so it does matter where they were stored.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.