mislabeled iris

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

I purchased a number of repeat bloomer irises (growing in pots) in April of last year at Mori Gardens, Niagara Falls. About six weeks later, it was clear that one plant, purchased as 'Again and Again', was mislabeled.
Have spent some time trying to identify this Iris. The closest I have found is 'Feedback'.
The flower pattern, of the plant I have, is self: color violet-blue or blue-violet: color seems slightly iridescent: beard white but yellow at the back: lightly ruffled: quite noticeably fragrant. It seems shortish for a tall bearded iris, but it had been tightly growing in a pot.
All the Irises I saw at Mori's were labeled repeat bloomers and all were Heritage Perennials. I checked with Heritage and they have never knowingly grown 'Feedback'.
An image of my plant is included (I hope).
Does anyone know what else this iris could be? Can anybody support my identification?
Thanks,
Sunny

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe "Stellar Lights"
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36646/

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you tried contacting Mori gardens to see which purple ones they grow, and to see if they grow the one you think it is?...oops, sorry, looks like you tried that, already...guess I read too fast :0)

Seems they not only owe you an ID, but a refund, too :0)

This message was edited Mar 7, 2009 10:12 AM

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Sunny,
If this is the Heritage Perennials that you speak of, then here is the address to their website: http://www.perennials.com
Go to that link and on the left hand side of the page that opens...type into the search box the word Iris. You will get a search result that shows all the iris that they grow and the names of them with a description. A few do have pictures, but many don't. You can do a seach of your own on those names that are lacking photos and perhaps you will find your unknown iris. I believe I recall them having 126 iris listed.

This may not even be the Heritage Perennials that you speak of, but hopefully it may be.

Good luck.

Nana3

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe "Victoria Falls" although yours looks to be a bit dark than it.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36890/

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi all,
Thanks for interesting responses.
Seedpicker_TX - Glad you just crossed out your message and did not erase it. Actually, you're right. That's got to be my next step.I have contacted Mori, but quite unsuccessfully. Was asked to E-mail a picture, but E-mail address seems rather to be a web site. Will be taking picture to them, in person, when I go to Niagara-on-the-Lake next month.
Nana3 - Very systematic. I think like you and did that. Went through all those irises and then all the repeat bloomers listed by American Iris Society. Still not entirely confident with my results!
DaLoveRat - 'Stellar Lights': very close color match, probably the same. Most of the images also show that slight iridescence I mentioned. Got to pursue this possibility. I actually have a 'Victoria Falls' (also purchased last spring), within two foot of the mislabeled plant. As you say it is a bit lighter in color: so far I would say 'Victoria Falls' is a lavender blue, not a violet blue.
The guy from Heritage said that I certainly have the right to get my money back, but that if I liked the iris that was a happy outcome. The problem is I do like the iris, so I would like to know its name!
Thanks also for hyperlinks. Very efficient.
Sunny

Quoting:
The guy from Heritage said that I certainly have the right to get my money back, but that if I liked the iris that was a happy outcome.

LOL...smart business man!, lol...

Raleigh, NC

true, because it's far more likely that Heritage mislabeled in the digging process. If the labels are not attached to the plant itself, just in the pot, then those labels are subject to careless shoppers and kids mixing them up at Mori.

DELETE - sounds like you already did!
YOU NEED TO ASK HERITAGE IF THEY HAVE FEEDBACK GROWING. Most sellers do not offer all their selections every year in their catalogues.

INSTEAD -
This is a good time of year to get their help on ID. Call again and try again on the email address. Push now. emailed photos to growers resulted in ID 50% of the time for me. In another two weeks, they won't give you the time of day they'll be so busy.

never heard of Mori or Heritage, so doubt they are hybridizing new introductions. Far more likely they grow older tried and true cultivars, and not all that many are used. look for those that have been intro'ed about 8 or more years back unless you paid more than $10-14 for them.

Feedback is a very likely suspect, it is highly prolific and robust, thus popular with retailers. Again and Again has been very popular, and sells better than Feedback.

If you get a few different names, I'll check out the AIS descriptions for you next week or so. Your photo is far too dark for Victoria F. But there are a lot of rebloomers this color. I have City Lights, but it is, again, lighter. here is my photo of City Lights taken in 2007

This message was edited Mar 7, 2009 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by bonjon

...don't you just wish plants could talk sometimes...even just a one-time soft whisper for them to tell you what they are?, lol...

It just irks me when something goes without an ID. :0)

South Hamilton, MA

As a hybridizer of SDBs, I would like them to tell me which traits they carry. Anyone producing a 'talking' iris will make a mint.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks for additional comments.

bonjon - appreciate what you say re labeling. Apparently even the rhyzomes? supplied (as you say) to Heritage Perennials may not always be the correct ones (as per E-mail from Heritage). Went through iris descriptions of the American Reblooming Iris Society and I could only get eight possible reblooming iris matches . All of these were introduced from 1983 to 2000. Looking there and elsewhere at images re color, yellow in the beard and amount of ruffling, it seems to me that what I have is 'Feedback', 'Sonata in Blue' or 'Summer Holidays'. The list of tall bearded iris, at ARIS, may not be complete(?). There also seems to be a lot of variability in the quality of the color replication of on-line images at the various sites. Thanks for looking at these yourself, if you have time to.

seedpicker_TX and irisMA - appreciate what you are saying. I have to carry around a lot of potted perennials and I have often wished plants can walk. It was not until I came to iris cultivars that I too wished plants can talk. I typically buy perennials in bloom, but that is not always possible.

Sunny

South Hamilton, MA

The worst thing is when the plants do talk & say 'I'm not interested in growing'.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

and the gardener replies: "Your days are numbered". I think that gets through.

South Hamilton, MA

Sometimes it does & sometimes not. When you threaten 'compost pile' & say the plant by name, they may panic & bloom. Others don't pay attention & they ARE compost.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Closer to reality.
Amazing how tough it is to be a gardener. Or is it how tough you have to be to be a gardener?

Raleigh, NC

of course, then there's mine, where they are trying to grow but apparently they came out of the ground! either that or the ground was so soft after last week's surprise snow that they came up with the winter weeds! wonder what they say or think then??? LOL

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

not sure. I know what I'd say; "What are you playing at?" And then of course,
"Your days are numbered." Suspect they'd be thinking about the trip to the compost heap.

South Hamilton, MA

Compost is a little strong. Replant & say 'stay'.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

"Shovel prune" seems to do the trick for me!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Tolerant. But tough enough? There has to be consequences.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.