ISO: anti-transpirant wax

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I was given some very helpful hints about using this when rooting...has anyone seen this at any local gardening stores/nurseries?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure, "Wilt Pruf" is a common brand. Some of the pros in the tree forum aren't enthusiastic about it (outdoors on trees and shrubs,) but it sounds like it makes sense for rooting. I don't know, never tried it.

http://www.wiltpruf.com/Home/Advertising/tabid/399/Default.aspx

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Claypa...looks like, per their website, the Southern States up the road has it!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell...interesting, never heard of using it for rooting??? Please share :) I used to treat some of my Rhododendrons with it to protect them over the winter in Maine but I'm not thoroughly convinced that those which were treated looked much different than those that didn't after a long winter. A good snow cover seemed to work just as well :(

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Debbie - this is how she explained it to me "Also, last time I mentioned using anti-transpirant wax as a helpful tool to use when rooting cuttings. It's basically the same wax that's on tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers when you get them at the grocery store, haha. A big problem when rooting most plants is that they lose a lot of water at night, when they open the tiny pores in their leaves (transpiration). Since the cuttings have no roots, they can't absorb water to replace what evaporates during the night, so they wilt. The wax blocks the pores and prevents water from escaping until it breaks down naturally a few weeks later. By that time the plant hopefully has developed enough of a root system to replace water lost to transpiration. I believe that you can find it at most garden stores if you're interested, and it may help with difficult-to-root cuttings!" My feeling is ANYTHING that will assist my inept-ness in rooting, I'm all for...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.