I confess.....

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess, I have often bought things from outfits selling online before checking Garden Watchdog.

I confess, I am learning not to do that, but, I confess, so far my instincts have been pretty good.

I confess, I just bought some seeds from an outfit advertising in Classifieds cause it felt good....... fingers crossed but not much lost if a bad deal, so.

I confess I used to be on a forum that had an "I confess" topic and for some reason it seems a good place to post stuff that doesn't go much of anywhere else, so, I confess, I thought I would try one out here and see if it's still fun.

I confess, that felt good! ;-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Life is full of risks. If you take no risks you aren't really living. Buying seeds would seem to be pretty small.

I confess that I have done this too. More than once. And I happen to have an envelope sitting open and empty on my desk that had 5 packets of seeds in it a few hours ago. Half those seeds are now in contact with a nice wet potting mix.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Heh. I confess, the seeds I most recently bought (have not arrived yet) are heirloom tomatoes which is something I said I would not do this year having already planned four varieties to start with but hey.

I confess I am doing a happy dance cause now the last snow melted I have YET MORE seedlings out there,

Lavender!
Thyme!
Echinacea!
Basil!
CA Wildflower mix!

All germinated.

I confess, I am tickled pink.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Given the sort of threads we have here, it had not occurred to me that we had any leftovers. I confess...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess, I understand that thought! I confess, this was pure self-indulgence on my part.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I confess to being lazy on saturday and buying brussel sprout seedlings instead of seeds. I saw them in the store and thought about how much window sill space it would save for tomatoes in couple of weeks and since our spring is really short I figured the sooner I got them planted the better our chances of actually getting edible sprouts.

I was smoothing out the dirt next to the foundation along the south wall (I figured that would be a nice warm spot for the baby sprouts) and accidentally dug up our resident toad. Fortunately I was using a small, blunt trowel and didn't really hit him with it, just sort of turned him up in a shovel full. He is about four inches long now. I relocated him a few feet to an upside down broken pot after checking for injuries.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I confess that the thought of finding a toad in your shovel is rather humorous. Was he awake?

I confess I hope all toad awakenings will be so fortunate!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

If you bought seedlings of something brussels sprouts because tomatoes require more window sill space, that is commendable indeed, not a cause for confession.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oooo I like this thread.
I confess to having way too many dahlias already for the space I have, with another shipment still to come.
I confess to buying from suppliers that aren't in Garden Watchdog cuz if no one gives them a try who will know if they are good or bad? Also that would be a bummer for new suppliers if no one tried them.
I confess to seeding too many tomato plants. (Actually haven't done that yet but it will happen so I thought I'd get that confession over with).

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

How can there be such a thing as too many tomato plants. I confess I do not understand some of these confessions!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Verilyy truly true IMPO mulch but sometimes people wonder why I'm passing them out on street corners.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

They might wonder a lot more if you were passing out on street corners.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I do that too but I didn't want to confess that (blush). My plans for my new mini hoophouse bit the dust with another foot of snow and -27F BUT I have the design all finished ^_^ It guess it is actually a row cover kinda hoop house like this but with clear plastic http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=45724&cat=2,2030,33142&ap=1

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

How can there be such a thing as too many tomato plants?

You've never listened to Garrison Keillor, have you. ;)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Not about tomato plants. I suppose that means he had some sort of deranged event, huh?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want more info but only if its mater friendly. O and how's every one doing for artichokes? I'm thinking I might plant too many of those too ^_^

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I planted three in the hoop house a couple of years ago and harvested artichokes, but any more that would be three too many. They take up a lot of valuable tomato space!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

In his Prairie Home Companion expository on Spring, Garrison relates how his Mom planted 40 tomato plants. This was in addition to 12 hills of watermellon, etc. She wanted to be sure that they would have enough.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I grow more than forty tomato plants every year. They just did not sufficiently appreciate tomatoes!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think I had 70+ tomato seedlings last year (oops). It just seems like you should seed that many so you will be sure to have different kinds. I think I will seed the artichokes like cucs, 3 in a pot and get my DH to sacrifice 2 of them. I can't sacrifice; I can't even watch the sacrifce; so he has to help.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Do you supply the local food bank? Do you eat them all yourself?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I only have room for 12-16 tomatos at most LOL

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dahlianut, you don't replant your seelings and give them away in front of the local grocery?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't think anyone would take artichokes here sigh. I'm already getting pinged for tomato plants but not too many want artichokes (silly, silly peoples).

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I give away a few extra tomato plants to friends as I plant extras so I can have my nearly five dozen of the kinds I like best in the strongest plants. I give away some tomatoes to friends. I freeze a lot of them. And eat vast quantities of them.

I don't know if our foodbank could deal with fresh tomatoes, I will have to check and see. I could probably grow some more...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

If the economy keeps sliding they will want those artichokes.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My in-laws worked a community garden to feed into the local food bank for several years. The food bank had a dehydrator.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess I believe the tomatoes are taking over. And I confess I think they would do a better job than current leadership of most things...... and, I confess, I fail to be able to limit my tomato plans! I was going to start 3 varieties but now, I confess, I am up to 8. None started yet of course.

I confess to profound confusion about most things but in particular about the timings of planting things here...... especially tomatoes.

I confess, it might be much simpler to be a toad. Remember that curse form? Turning people into toads? Well, heck maybe it was a blessing in deep disguise.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I confess that I do not want to dig a hole in the dirt and sleep in it for the Winter like Toads do. I confess that I do not want to eat raw, wiggling bugs for lunch like Toads do.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess, though, if we were toads I believe that would be appealing. I do confess it has little appeal at this moment while I am eating my belated breakfast! (It was quite the hectic weekend and I confess I am a sluggard today. A happy sluggard nevertheless.)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Well, Mr. Toad was definitely awake after I turned him upside-down. I checked on him this morning and he's still under the flower pot. I hope he eats lots of bugs this summer. Speaking of wiggly bugs, the ammonia did not kill the white grubs in my strawberry bed. How could anything survive being drenched in ammonia?

I usually have about 40 tomato plants each year. We freeze a lot and give them to our family and our friends who own the little french restaurant. I have planted them in the front yard in the past but there are too many perennial flowers there now. We just dug a trench (8 by 3 feet, I'm kind of sore today) and lined it with metal flashing for our black bamboo to live in. Since it only takes up a small space in the center right now I can sneak in about four tomatoes around it this summer.

Since the weather is supposed to be rotten this week, I was going to go to the store and buy some clear plastic roofing to make a lean-to cold frame for the sprouts. But then I remember standing in my FIL's tv repair shop and he has a whole stack of the plastic screens from the front of old rear-projection big screen tvs. He brought them over on his way home and they work perfect. Not the most attractive material and they're not all the same size, but they were free so who cares right?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Not me.

;-)

I wish one day to have the space for 40 tomato plants. Not to mention the flower varieties I regularly drool over in catalogs. But, I confess, once the things I am planting get big enough to fill some of that empty wintry space out there, I imagine my lust will ease.

Reno, NV

I confess that I always go off the deep end with my projects and I am not remorseful at all!

I planted 36 pods of jonny-jump-ups, and 36 sweet williams this weekend. I intend to plant some cottage pinks too. I thined mustard and kale seedlings.

I confess that I failed with the lettuce. Sowed to thick, couldn't get any of them untangeled to transplant and then realized that they'd all gotten leggy.

I confess that I cut those mico lettucelings down, ate them with my salad and started over. And I may have managed to restrain myself and sow thinnly for once;)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess I hope to learn from your lettuce mistakes there, Duchess.

Reno, NV

I confess that I made a note of how well lettuce germinated in my book o garden. Even underlined and put stars with it.

I think part of the problem is how small the seeds are. Way to easy to over do.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Mix them with some sand, that helps spread them out more.

Reno, NV

That's a good idea. I've heard it but never seem to remember:)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I direct sow lettucelings right in the bed because they are such kid keeners (hence the need for blowerdrier thawing and my new fabby mini hoophouse row cover thingy)

Reno, NV

"kid keeners" ? have no idea what that means:). I'm still playing with a lot of this stuff, timeing particularly. I have the info from the cooperative extension but am still working it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.