Request for Hypertufa Trough Workshop

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I have seen people wanting to participate in a Hypertufa Trough Workshop. See the link below. I put on a workshop for our local Hobby Greenhouse Picnic. Also put on a workshop at the same time for cement leaves. See below. If there is any interest, we could put one on at my house.
Trough Workshop:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/529048/

Leaf Workshop:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/533171/

I would probably have to charge a fee to pay me back for the concrete & sealer, but I don't want to make a profit on this, just show my DG buddies how to make these things & have a great time. If there is any interest, please let me know. We could even make it into a RU and a covered dish. We wouldn't want to do this in the summer as it would be too hot but maybe in the autumn. Thanks Buttoneer

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a pix of some of the cement leaves I made.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi
I live in NC - but my daughter lives in Carbondale - is that near you? I could send her if that would be ok and she could show me. I know PA is large and so maybe she is hours away.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

We are in Carlisle. I believe she is up 81 North probably near Williamsport. I am 20 miles West of Harrisburg.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

You couold spend a weekend up here and shop Lancaster County, home of great Mennonite nurseries, shopping outlets & wonderful Pa. Dutch food.

You know...that is true!! I didn't even think of that. Autumn would be ok - cold but not snowy for the trip over the mountains to PA. I will watch this thread and if it is OK I will 'sign up' and ask Jackie to come with me. Her husband has a small rock quarry and I am always begging for a slab of this or that to make a garden bench... but her hubby says toooooo heavy to tote to NC. I may just snag one of those on that trip!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer, I'd be glad to help I have made the troughs before but haven't tried the leaves, yet. I have been waiting to get a huge leaf so I can do a birdbath. This year I ordered a couple of 2 Port Odora's maybe I will have some nice size leafs to work with. My Bougie is planted in the trough I made it's roughly 20 X 18 X 13 deep. Just came home from the Phila Show with a few suculant's that could use a small shallow one.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What happen to my pic???

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly
the snow cracked my chimnea (exactly like yours) didn't you have a problem with it?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't had any problem with it, it was a Christmas present from my children years ago, we use it often mostly in spring and fall. I usually do put a large terracotta tray on top of it for a little protection and there is sand in the bottom but that is all. I usually bring in all my other pots garden art that could freeze/thaw and break but deemed this too big and heavy to bother with.

Ah - maybe it is the sand - I have covered the top.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd love to learn to do the leaves!

I have rectangular heavy plastic containers from the dollar store that I want to use to make some troughs... Terri (aspenthomas) and Bobbie and i have talked about just getting together for a mini project afternoon. I'll be sure to post when we pick a date in case anybody else can join us.

If I can manage a simple container or two, then I'd like to try something a little trickier, like pieces that could be assembled into a fountain... can't you just see water cascading from one leaf to the next, into a basin? :-)

I'm assuming I'd need sealer for a fountain or a leaf-birdbath, but do you also use sealer on your containers?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes you do use a sealer. I can email you the recipe if you dmail me with your email addy. I can do the leaf workshop. It's much easier & quicker than the troughs. Or we can do both. Doesn't matter. I'm just putting together a thread to see if there is enough interest to do one or the other or both at my house.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Count me in, whatever you're doing!

:-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, great! Will see if there is interest & how many & then set a date. We have done workshops in the summer and in the spring. I'm gearing for cooler autumn weather, but even the warm weather of September will be fine.

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, how gorgeous are those leaves. I'll keep watching this; I think I'm interested.

Betty

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly - I just LOVE everything about that photo...the variegated leaves being back lit - then the splash of color with those blooms...positively yummy!!!

Judy - I think I'd be interested.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Interested !

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

When I find out how many are coming & figure out how much materials we will need, I will let you know how much it will cost. As I said before, I do NOT want to make a profit on this, just get paid for the materials. The last one I did, we made several cement leaves each & you get to take them home with you, along with a copy of the instructions. It's a lot of fun. I have given the course a couple times and it takes about an hour or so for the leaves. If we are going to do the troughs, then figure another 90 minutes. Everybody has to bring along a board or two to transport their creations home. Looking forward to this. We have tables, a wheelbarrow, water, shovels, a carport so we don't have to work out in the sun or rain as the case may be.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Absolutely - not the leaves so much, but the troughs

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'd be interested in both...I think the leaves would make pretty stepping stones (just not to "really" step on - LOL) When my EE's come up I could get some of their leaves if that would help

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, we will have to make this a covered dish lunch & afternoon course. It can be done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.