Shade Garden Inspiration - Show off your garden!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow, what a beautiful finished walk.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

GASP you folks are awesome!

jkom51, your post #6323938 got me thinking very differently about the "deep shade" under my 40+ year-old Fruitless Mulberries. I've several seriously neglected azaleas in the bed, but that's pretty much it. Lord knows how they've survived the neglect; lack of water, feeding, pruning, but survive they have, with even an occasional.

I simply haven't known what to do with it, assuming that nothing will grow in that "deep shade." Well, your post, jkom51, really spun my thinking around. Nevertheless, I said to myself, it's deep shade, running off to my thread in the beginner's landscaping forum to grab my photo of the space to prove to you that it is "deep shade." Aaaah, but it's not deep shade, is it? See it here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5537482 .

Moreover, even if it never saw a speck of sun on the surface, you taught me that it derives some benefit from the "light." Then there's the character of this tree's root system; large, heavy, with mind-numbing webs of bright orange hair roots sucking up any moisture in the ground. An arborist assessment of the trees 20-or-so years ago advised me that the trees are likely in the water table, thus not requiring surface water any longer. So, I "grew" my concrete patio on the eastern side of the concrete block fence, no longer inviting them to visit beyond that fence.

So, a huge thank-you to all of you for the lessons in your posts. I'll include your wonderful forum in my design briefcase and be back to ask questions, if you're willing. You are awesome!! I'll lurk and learn and be back.

Thanks again,
Linda

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda,

Your right, that is not deep shade, you have some sun coming in....so you can grow lots of things. The first suggestion is to do something with that concrete block wall. Paint, stucco, anything to take away the block effect and blend with the house exterior. That alone will add tremendously to the look of your future garden.

Your probably right about the feeder root problem. Take a section of the area and cut out or dig up those fine roots. Lay some of those stones in the background down. Check back in a few months to see if the fine orange feeder roots come back. This will give you an idea of what to expect, and what will or will not grow.

If they do come back like I suspect, then you will have to go with plants that have a woody type root. Holly ferns will do well, at least they do around the base of my oaks. Hardier type ferns and the like. Plants like hostas, certain high moisture ferns, and perennials plants with a softer root tissue that require water will be your worst enemy.

I think you do need to work on soil nutrition and organic matter. Those mulberry trees are heavy feeders and pull nutrients and moisture from the top soil. Start with a deep feeding for the trees. Look up how to root feed trees around the drip line. The ground looks bare, so mulch heavily and lay a stone walkway on top to start amending the soil now. Fertilize with a good balanced brand with a good iron and sulfur content.

If you want to start using organic fertilizer, start with a 50-50 mixture of organic and synthetic. The next time cut back to 25% synthetic, 75% organic. On your 4th feeding it should be all organic. Takes about a year to kick start an organic cycle, after that use synthetics sparingly as it upsets the organic cycle if too much is used.

Tour your area, visit landscaped homes, nurseries, and see what grows well in similar conditions. Finding the right plant for the right conditions is 3/4 the battle of easy gardening.

Chuck

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

doss, I had my gardener bring in a few cubic yards of top quality compost from the Davis St. Recycling Center run by Waste Mgmt. It's great stuff for the non-edible garden. Just dumped it atop the tired clay soil, keeping it away from the trunks, and planted container plants. Some plants have had trouble near the walnut but I think that's mostly to do with the fact it really sucks away all the moisture in the soil! The compost, lots of organic fertilizer and mulch really help.

Confession: once the nasturtiums and oxalis fade away, there's definitely bare spots that need filling in, LOL.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's for the hint. Sounds like a bargain. We have a composting facility here too although I've been worried about using it because of plant disease etc. Maybe it's worth a try.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

KaylyRed, if your new yard has a shady woodland, the woodland peonies are beautiful.
This is p. japonica.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

And this is p. obovata.
They won't do well in dense shade, but an open woodland suits mine fine.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Those are really pretty, Weerobin! I'm afraid the shade I have in back might be a little too heavy, but it could be worth a shot. Alas, my lot has 3 large maple trees along the south side that want to block out most of the sun. Fortunately I have some part-sun along the north privacy fence or I'd go crazy. :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Weerobin I love those woodland peonies! Im having lots of zone envy right now with all these georgeous photos. I look out my window and see nothing. I do have the ligularias coming up. That is great. A few daffys, I don't think to much more.... Snowy and cold today. Ronna

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a photo I took just the other day. This area is in bright but total shade. I like the azaleas with the hellebores. It's a larger photo of the area above with the baby tears.

Thumbnail by doss
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow, doss...that's lovely.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Very nice!
May I ask what that carpet-like ground cover is?

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Doss, that maple really doesn't get any direct sun at all?

I have one corner near the house I'd like to put something shrubby...but it's in the shadow of the house all day. Not dark shade, but no real direct sun at all. I was just wondering how many options there were for that scenario.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The ground cover is baby's tears. Yes, that whole planting area gets no direct sun. I'm not sure that butterfly would survive in your zone but there are other maples that would stand up for you. You might want to ask on the Japanese Maple forum. There are people who grow JM's in your zone there. You could ask there what trees might fit your space too. I have a number in pots that only get very dappled shade and they do fine there. I know that the hellebores would work and you can find another type of fern that would grow there.

doss, I have seen Butterfly for sale at several nurseries here...I even bought a little baby one to use in a container (because I love yours so much- I've seen you post it's pic before). Mine will never get to be like yours, of course, but it seems to have lived thru the winter in it's buried container...and it was pretty cold one. The guy at the nursery where I bought mine said he's had one in his garden for years (or so he says!;)) I guess I have to worry about the buds, though, if we get a freeze this month or next?

I wasn't actually thinking about a maple for the spot I mentioned...I need something lower and fuller, like a hydrangea or even just some perennial with some height and fullness. Just didn't know how those would do with absolutely NO direct sun at all.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You might consider a ligularia if you have enough water there. They are really stunning. A big hosta is another idea but it will take some time to get big. I envy you your hosta growing weather.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Will Viburnums grow there?

Doug

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Or acanthus mollis, maybe.

Yes, I've seen some viburnums in nurseries, but most of the ones I saw (when I was looking for something to use as a screen, against the fence) were larger. I'm looking for something 3-5 feet in height, I think.

Doss, I've always been tempted by that darker Liguaria, but I keep hearing about major slug issues with that, which scares me. Acanthus is something I don't recall seeing up here....I'll have to look that up. Anyone grow Rodgersia?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Weerobin, you're teasing me with those beautiful Peonies! LOL I've got several 'rock garden' type Peonies to plant in my new garden but P. japonica and P. obovata would look even nicer :)

doss, I've been admiring your gardens ever since I joined DG and your photos continue to inspire me :)

Noreaster, Butterfly might make it for you - I remember seeing my first Butterfly Maple years ago in a garden at a nursery near Castine and they've got to be colder than you, probably Z5a? I was so taken with it and years later when I met DH, told him the only reason I fell in love with him was because he had Butterfly in the landscape! LOL Not sure if Viburnum would do well if there's no "direct sun"? They'd live but you might not have as many flowers. Two of my favorites that don't get real tall are Viburnum 'Conoy' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84418/ and Viburnum lantana 'Variegatum' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/84452/. Conoy has lustrous glossy foliage and incredibly fragrant flowers. Most reports say 4'-5' but some I've seen used in landscapes are only about 3' - it's possible they were pruned to keep them shorter. Variegatum doesn't have the sweetly fragrant flowers but the contrast of the red berries in the fall is spectacular with the variegated foliage! I've seen VV's comments in PF and I totally disagree with him - I think it's just a "male" thing because DH feels the same way -not me, I love the variegation :) Ours has been in the landscape about 4-5 years now and is less than 4' tall. I looked for my photo but darned if I can find it this morning! I think it's too cold for Acanthus to work for you :( We're Z6a and we have a tough time keeping it alive here. Now Rodgersia, YES! I have it growing in the gardens but not nearly as spectacular as it was when growing in my Maine gardens. I took a division of my original plant to my in-laws' summer place in Michigan. I know it actually prefers moist soils but I also know where it's planted in Michigan and it's thriving even with the competition of the trees it's planted under AND my MIL's neglect of the poor thing! LOL I think it's just much happier with the cooler temperatures :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Noreaster rogersia and ligularia do well here in shade. In fact ligularia 'Rocket' is not sun tolerant at all. Another choice for the height you're looking for is actaea simplex (bugbane)

dahlianut, Actaea is a plant that just confounds me. I have a few different cultivars in my garden- Brunette, Hillside Black Beauty, and Atropurpea (sp). The Atro and HBB are planted together in the shade, and will be four years old this season. HBB just does not seem to grow at all! It flowers, but the height is not there...Atro towers over it. But Atro hasn't put on a lot of fullness, either. Maybe this will be the year for that one. I like it, but I think I want something with more density for this particular spot near my house.

I planted Brunette in a more dappled light location ( a little more direct sun than the other two cultivars), and it promptly turned an ugly shade of green and many of the leaves continued to shrivel and die all season, despite lots of water. I just don't know what Actaea wants to be happy!

rcn, thanks for the suggestions on the Viburnum. Your post reminded me that someone told me they really smell...but in a bad way? I think I'm leaning towards giving the Rodgersia a shot...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They are really slow to establish I know. Mine have suffered from our drought conditions these last years too. What about a shorter dogwood? Some are in your height range. I have a 'Halo' in full shade and its establishing well.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The slugs do eat the ligularias but with a little Sluggo it's not a problem.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't have slugs. I think they'd get their butts frozen off here. Seriously they're here, just not in my garden. I haven't heard of them being a problem with ligularia before. Thanks Doss for that info. I'll pass it along (to gardeners, not slugs).

That dogwood is very pretty...and yours gets no direct sun?

Doss, Sluggo stops working for me by mid season...either I can't keep up with the chipmunks eating it all, or the slug population in my yard is just too formidable by mid summer.. I have the ideal conditions for them, with all the rocks to hide under, and there is no way to change that. I'm going to put out more chipmunk proof traps this year, baited with Sluggo Plus.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A little dappled late evening sun and in the spring before the green ash leafs out. Otherwise its under the ash canopy.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I replace my Sluggo about every two weeks so I imagine that if you are only doing it once that it would stop working.

I have to replace my Sluggo every night, since the chipmunks stuff their cheeks all day long with it!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Now that's crazy. Who would've thought the chipmunks would EAT it?

Maybe give them an alternative feeding station somewhere else?

Yeah, they are quite brazen about it and will do it right in front of me. I've watched them stuff their cheeks..they scarcely miss a single piece.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Great! I've got chipmunks here. Who knew they'd eat Sluggo?

So far they haven't stolen my bulbs. Shhh! Don't tell them.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Reminds me of the time my nephew confessed that he picked out the most tasty things from the Scrabble mix. Of course, I thought he was referring to the nuts. Turns out he was picking out the pretzel sticks. I told him to go right ahead, that I didn't think anyone would care . . .

The Squirrels aren't realizing that they're hoarding the iron phosphate granules. Ew!

Here's another DG thread on Sluggo and wildlife (though it doesn't refer to chipmunks)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/719090/

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Noreaster, a lot of the Viburnums have incredible fragrance (i.e. V. carlesii, V x burkwoodii, etc) but then there are some, like the V. lantana 'Variegatum' mentioned that "almost" stink! The fragrant Viburnums are delightful in the gardens but you don't have to worry about those that tend to "stink", you'd have to get real close to detect any fragrance :) I have problems with the Actaea here :( After three years in the gardens they've finally established nice clumps - look gorgeous in the spring but by the time they get ready to bloom the heat here really knocks them down. I'm experimenting with different areas trying to find a spot where they'll actually thrive and bloom but haven't been successful - yet!

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Wow, such great stuff going on here by everyone!

I'm posting these pics here upon Katie59's request, instead of a whole new thread. Sorry :-p

I took this picture of this woodland clump (it's not in my yard unfortunately) this last weekend.

Thumbnail by redchic01

two others from the same clump, the weekend before.

Thumbnail by redchic01

the last of them.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Those are lovely. They are sort of ethereal looking.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Aren't they beautiful? And the size of the stand is amazing. I haven't yet convinced redchic (Shelly) to sneak over and night and dig me out a few, but I'm working on her. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.