something new something old something fun

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I like the dog

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

1913cat, LOVE your picture of Innovator.

avmoran, your seedling is very pretty!

Gemini_Sage, several places sell spuria, including irisloverdee.
http://www.snowpeakiris.com/

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks D I love her too she is on a fast track for intro even though it is only a one time bloomer I am lining her out to easily check fertility and give her a chanec to take off.

1913cat - well I'll know in a couple of years if she was worth keeping I crossed her with two different types of arilbreds, Esther the Queen (OGB) and Persian Padishaw (OGB+) I am hoping she produces as well as Lakeside Elf

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That OGB you're going to intro is lovely Anita. I like the OGB that you said is very fertile, too.

Lebanon, OR

For a an area that is not suppose to be able to grow Aril/Arilbred Anita does wonders...you would not believe it or how she has.

I am looking forward to many more Aril/Arilbreds out of her, I think she now has 3-4 she has intro...

D

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Dog get's better every year but she will never be introduced just too many thing wrong. I am so hoping her kids are not this ugly. I am hoping for some dry time this year to cross her with Rick Tasco's Nobel Warrior that has settles well here dispite the humidity.

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is a reverse cross to the first seedling with Nut Ruffles as The Pod parent

Thumbnail by avmoran
Lebanon, OR

better and better!

Sib to Fern's Magic

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

one of my coffee series

Lebanon, OR

another coffee

Lebanon, OR

Betty Cooper
Spuria

Lebanon, OR

Autumn Sunrise

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

OOOOOH COFFEE

Lebanon, OR

I have about 4-5 of what I call the coffee ones, they are different tones/shades of brown

D

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I do love coffee I drink a lot of it ;0) those are lovely !!
Gloria

Lebanon, OR

Thank you Gloria

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Here is the link to the Spuria Iris Society. Does anyone know the zone ranges on these?
http://www.spuriairis.com/

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've just been drooling over the Spurias on the Snow Peak Iris website, I had no idea such work was being done with these beauties! A whole new world of Iris has been revealed to me!!!

Like hesperis, I'd like to know more about their culture and requirements. Having read they like to be dry in summer, my interest in them is extra piqued!

After having looked at a bunch of pics, I believe I may actually have a white species Spuria. I dug it from an abandoned and falling house site many years ago, and never had any idea what sort of iris it is. They are very tolerant of neglect, I'm curious if that is typical of Spurias.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Really like the coffee series, Dee. Can't wait until you introduce them....

Lebanon, OR

Thank you Neil, 2010 or 11 should be coffee:)

Grows in zone 3 to 9; full sun best, but will do well on half a day’s sun throughout the year. They will tolerate partial shade, especially in areas that have extremely high temperatures in the summer.: Spuria prefer a neutral to slightly alkaline soil and they must have good drainage. Enrich soil by adding alfalfa and manure (see more about manure below). Heavier clay soil is much better than fine sandy soil.Basically spuria need water, manure (see more about manure below), and mulch to become established. Begin the planting by making sure the soil will allow for good drainage and is enriched. Then make a hole about two inches below the surface. Add fertilizer (14-14-14 is suggested) to this hole. Then put lots of water into this hole. Finally add the rhizome, cover with soil and mulch. Watering this new spuria rhizome from the top of the soil is not sufficient for establishing a clump. Mulch spuria the first year of growth. Saw dust is the best mulch to use. After the clump is established, the mulch may be removed during the blooming season.
When you order them you get a care and culture sheet with them
D

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

D, thanks so much! I've got want they want! Sun, rich soil with high clay content, neutral to slightly alkaline (limestone soils around here), and excellent drainage since I'm on a hill. Right in the middle of their zone requirements, and I live on a cattle farm (with a few horses), so I've got access to poop galore!

I know it would differ in various parts of the country, but in relation to the bloom times of bearded, Siberian, and/or JIs, when do the Spurias bloom?

Lebanon, OR

Bloom Season: Spuria usually do not bloom the first year after planting. The second year should produce several bloom stalks. The bloom time is one to two weeks after the tall bearded irises.

Hope this helps

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Neal, here they bloom beginning when the peonies are still blooming, but lasting longer. About the same time as the sibs, but before the JIs. I know it's different in different parts of the country, but you should be about the same as here.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Excellent! Sounds like they fill in a gap when most others aren't blooming- oh to have some kind of Iris blooming all season long, wouldn't that be great!

South Hamilton, MA

snow iris rather than snow men? I've been thinking of our white irises when I see the blanket of snow. Some melting getting a good start this afternoon, finally!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.