Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #31

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

this is an image of Husker Red at the end of may --- very burgundy-ish foliage

Thumbnail by tcs1366
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Lea you are priceless! I do miss Suzy but you are a darn close runner-up!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

mine never grew that tall stem it stayed like the fist picture just short so will have to move it lol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

scicci -- that one wider clump in the back never bloomed.. it got more afternoon shade ..so i moved it up front.

great I have about two dozen of them all lined up at the back of a bed that is in full shade the old lady didnt know what she was doing I always check sun needs before planting anything if I am not familiar with a plant, now since I didnt know what it was I just left it but will move it now and put columbines in its place they will be very happy there

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

La, I'll take that as a big compliment :) I hope it helps you! I refer back to Suzy in my office every now and then lol

tcs, you're making me want to check to see if mine is coming up yet lol I won't get to that bed for at least another month. Lots of cleaning out front to do yet, I still have a huge bed that's my nectar garden :)

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

tcs, I started my huskers red from seed (trade) 4 years ago. I was disappointed, the leaves have never gotten as purple as yours. It gets big beautiful white flowers that Ilove and the bees are always all over the plant, so I keep it. Somewhere I read that if you start it from seed it may not have the dark purple hue, so I guess that included me. :o(
I wonder if that is from cross-pollination with other penstemons?

I also grow Violet Dusk penstemon here. It is in a sight that gets kind of wet in the spring, so I'm always amazed it comes back each year, this will be it's 3rd and I can see it starting to poke up.

Last summer I planted several different penstemon in a cold zone 5 which gets a lot of snow. I'm hopeful they will come back. If not, at least they put on a nice show last year.

scicciarella - I'm impressed with all your plants!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lea, it was wintersown Penstemon plants, a bunch of them! And you (if it was you, lol) thought there may some bright blue ones in there. Does that ring a bell? Well, what got me thinking of those was I've been wanting to find a goody to send to say Thank You, so I'm sending you some Dahlias, lol. Seems like at the time you were overwhelmed with stuff to plant, and didn't want anything to add to it.

toofew, Sometimes Husker's Red reverts back to its green leaved species counterpart, rather than cross pollinate. Most of the seedlings that I found had the dark leaves, but I did have an occasional green leaved one. I like them both.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I just finished catching up, and I think it is so funny you all are checking for plants growing! I still have a foot of snow on the ground. lol 6" came down yesterday! Me and the family made a snowman yesterday. It was that perfect snow for it. Maybe I'll post a pic later. My penstemons pretty much stay evergreen here too. I have P. barbatus, that will be in it's third year. I can't wait to see how much better it does! I have some others that are in their third year too and they haven't bloomed yet. Very excited to see those because I am not even sure which ones they are. They came up from seeds I just scattered right on the ground. They are either P. cobaea or P. grandiflora - either way I'll be so happy to have them bloom. Hopefully there will be a little of both : )

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

We need a new thread big time, but was wondering, what simpe would look good in a container with some yellow or orange bonazan marigolds? Any body got any ideas. I cna landscape with trees and shrubs, but just don't have that eye candy eye olor thingy going on for containers and baskets.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here ya go.....

New thread.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961308/

i know once it gets over 200, the dial-up gang starts having troubles....

penstemon tubular bells I planted this one the flowers are so pretty

Thumbnail by scicciarella
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, I had no idea penstemons came with such huge blooms! Is that an annual variety?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.