Heidi Chronicles: Got Milk?

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

You're so right about the "salt or sweet" conundrum these days. I feel really bad for those (including many cats and dogs) who are allergic to, or can't digest corn; they (or their people, in the case of pets) must spend hours and hours at the grocery or pet store trying to find SOMETHING they can eat.

Heidi's varying reactions to your "okays" at different stages of the kits' lives makes perfect sense. Remember that the kits are born with eyes and ears closed, are totally helpless, and depend on their mother's body warmth to maintain the temperature they need. At that stage, Heidi can only leave them very briefly for a quickly snatched meal and potty break, and return to them immediately. ANY threat, however minor, that might delay her return risks their health or survival.

Once the kits' eyes and ears are open (after 10-14 days), they have also grown a bit more fur and are better able to maintain their own body temp. At that stage, she can be gone a bit longer, but still will not take any undue risks; the kits at that point are like guinea pigs - fat chunky bodies with very short legs. Their mobility is very limited, and there is no chance for them to survive if she were killed. She will take the time to listen to your reassurance, and can spend longer at the diner, but won't risk a fight or serious encounter with an enemy.

Once the kits are fully mobile, she will likely trust your word on scary human noises every time. At that point, her trust in your understanding of the human world will be enough for her to take the risk involved in staying to finish eating. Her nutrition needs are huge at that stage, with big and rapidly growing kits to feed.

BTW, your instincts are right on target with the decision to never reassure her about noises in the forest. You can't match her perception of what's going on out there; and, as you said, a reassurance that turned out to be false could irreparably damage her trust in your "okays."

Your relationship with Heidi, and your gradually greater ability to communicate with each other, is just remarkable and always fascinating. This is especially so in that Heidi is perhaps the wildest of the tribe: acclimated to humans prior to your meeting in the sense of raiding human yards for food, but a fully mature wild creature with a strong instinctive distrust and fear of humans. You have come a long long way together, and continue to grow in your ability to understand and communicate with each other.

LOL at the story of the dog food taste test with your brother. I think we've all done that a time or two, usually as kids; though with presumably healthy treats, it does remain a temptation even for adults. The absolutely stupid example of this behavior came from a young guy on my kennel staff at the animal shelter. He decided one day that he had to taste a product called "Bitter Orange." This is a nontoxic taste repellent typically used to keep animals from licking/chewing at bandages, sutures, hot spots, etc. [You may have heard of a product called Bitter Apple, used for the same purposes; Bitter Orange is in the same vein but much much more concentrated, bitter, and disgusting.] The kid on staff took a big old gulp of the stuff, perhaps on a dare, who knows.....and proceeded to be violently ill for the next hour or so. Needless to say, we made him clean up his own mess - our job was to clean up after the animals, not him - and hopefully he learned a valuable if bitter, so to speak, lesson.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

What about 'Sham' as a name for your impostor?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooo, good one, Melody!
LOL at the dumb kid drinking the yucky stuff. I do remember Milk Bones not being too bad, but not tasting at all like milk...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions for raccoon names. Lots of good ideas!

While I agree that Rich Little is the ultimate impersonator, that name fails the 'callability' test. I just can't see myself saying "Rich Little, Rich Little, here Rich Little!"

Sham is cute. I'd prefer to keep to names with more than one syllable. I have to think about issues of callability and about keeping the names different enough so that the raccoons can differentiate them. (Yes, I know that I already have "Bast". I'm imperfect.) Sham is still in the running though.

I'm also considering Scammer, a name which came to me in a round a bout way while I was trying to think of a way to add a syllable to Sham. Another name I'm considering is Bernie. The 'imposter' connection isn't perfect here, but I can make the leap.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG, Ruth,

I could maybe see cautiously touching ones tongue or lips to that stuff (bitter orange or the like) just to see what it tastes like. (I could have seen that when I was a kid, that is. Thankfully, I now have the benefit of age to keep me from trying such things.) But to chug-a-lug the stuff or take a big gulp would just be fool-hardy. Were all of the animals rolling around in their cages laughing like crazy?

The part of the brain responsible for impulse control (and otherwise evaluating 'is this a good idea?') is not fully developed in teens. (Science has 'proven' this, but I think parents have known it for ages.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night I took out 2 packs of those mm chicks (can't think of the name). I had forgotten just how popular those things are! 2 packs is only 20 items. Since I have 15 raccoons now, I had to 'break' them in half (the treats, not the raccoons) so everyone could have 2. They inhaled them, and tried to trick me into thinking they hadn't had one yet.

I'm seeing some indication that age may confer some degree of status with the raccoons. Now that I have such a large group of youngsters with a handful of adults, I'm noticing that even the most aggressive of the kits will usually back off when growled at by even the timidest of the adults. Even Dennis, who never used to growl at any of her contemporaries has been known to growl at a kit if one gets too close to her food. While the adults have never paid Dennis any attention (Bast just walks up and takes Dennis' spot and Dennis leaves.), the kits will actually listen to her. Seems unlikely those unruly kits are afraid of Dennis, so I figure there must be some kind of age-related status w/in their ranks. Just a theory though.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night the most adorable moment came when Bast arrived. As usual, Bast strode right up and took Dennis' spot beside me. Displaced, Dennis wandered away. At the time I was still passing out treats and had another one for Dennis, but as I scanned the area I could not find her anywhere. Usually, when Bast takes the good spot beside my legs on the 'table' side, Dennis goes around to the other, albeit less desirable and less protected, side of my bench, but this time she wasn't there.

If you recall, the bench I use out there is just a small, 22" wide, one person, faux wicker bench. It has slightly rounded sides/arms and no back and is just the right size for one person.

Anyhow, there I was sitting on my bench, Bast eating peacefully beside me, kits all around me (a few steps back) waiting to see if they could get another treat, me calling Dennis, and no sign of Dennis anywhere. About that time I felt a 'tap' on my right shoulder. Confused by who might be doing this, I turned to find Dennis perched behind me on edge of the little bench where she was standing upright on the edge of the seat one paw on my shoulder looking like a passenger on the back of a motorcycle. She was behaving herself, not being aggressive or anything, just gently trying to say, "here I am!"

I held the treat over my shoulder where she took it and hopped down. I just had to laugh at Dennis sharing the tiny bench with me. I had no idea there might even be that much room left ove back there.

Edited for clarity

This message was edited Mar 15, 2009 11:59 AM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

What about Bogus? Not a 'cute' name by any standards, but it does get the message across.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

melody,

Can I adulterate it to Bogie? I know that obscures the intent, but seems easier on the lips?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

For some reason I'm having a lot of difficulty with this one. Sometimes it takes a little while for a name to grow on me. I can't begin to tell you how long (weeks) I tossed 'Heidi' around before deciding to go with it. Same with some of the others. One of the names you guys have given me may well work for me - in time.

This may even be a mute point soon as I find that I am having so many Jerry's lately that it is even difficult to find the 'real' imposter.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are a few more synonyms: copycat (copycoon?), parrot, parody, carbon, counterfeit, echo, reflect, repeat, parallel, shyster, sharper, quack

I like Echo and Parody. :-)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I like Echo too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn, Terese,

I like that one, too. Cute, multi-syllabic, different from the other names. Still thinking but leaning in this direction.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

You might notice that I haven't mentioned Trouble in a while. That's because I haven't seen him around in ages. I thought it odd given his appetite but I just figured maybe his work was done here - and maybe he had work to do elsewhere. So imagine my surprise tonight when I went to the back door and switched on the light at 10PM, running late, and looked out to see maybe 4 or 5 raccoons out there on the patio waiting for me -- and 2 of them in the 'extra friendly' position.

The two in question were both relatively smallish looking as compared to say HRH or Trouble. As I turned on the light and looked out at them, the one in the uppermost position looked over his (I'm just guessing here, but it seems to fit) shoulder at me as if to say, "Could you give us a minute her please?" They made no attempt to alter their activities. When I left the door to go fix the food and put the dog away a minute or so later, they were still working at their little project.

So, that was certainly interesting. I guess we must have at least one more fella out there.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ROFLMAO.... they were doin' the nasty on your patio??

OH -- now you've seen it all.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

well, guess maybe they wante d to show ya how it done in the woods. LOL Well looks like ya gona even a bigger gang than what ya thought .

By the tiemya get yoru book wrote ya gonan know everythign ther eis to know abotu the life style of the racoon. and mroe so maybe than ya wanted too LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A couple nights ago I looked over at one youngster and noticed how odd the fur on her upper back appeared. She was off to one side and in an area cast in shadow, so I could not see her very well but something seemed odd about the color and texture of the hair on her back. For a moment I thought maybe that hair was wet. Maybe that was why it looked different. (Clearly, at the time I had forgotten how easily raccoon fur sheds water and how they look dry as soon as they step out of the pool.)

Perhaps while she and the area around her were in heavy shadow a spot of light shining through a gap in the foliage was shining on her back producing that odd color and texture. The area was, afterall, lighter than the surrounding area, so that might explain it. But then as she moved about, I realized that the 'spot of light' was following her.

Eager to solve the riddle, I reached into my bag for my flashlight. As I turned the flashlight towards her it illuminated a grissly sight. Her entire upper back was bald, scalped, completely devoid of hair. I shuddered just to see it. She looked as though she had stepped out of a Stephen King flick. My heart wept for her. Yet, she stood there eating as though nothing had happened.

The hair on her sides and rump sat out a good inch or more from her body making it appear by comparison as though a deep section of 'raccoon' had been carved away from her back. Most of the hairless skin on her back was a light gray, but the area up near her shoulders was a light pinkish color, and she bore evidence of a wound in the area just behind her shoulders, the same area where Blondie had been injured the year before. There on her hairless back were two gashes now healed over, each an inch or so long, the two roughly an inch apart.

She was a frightful, ghastly sight to behold, but she didn't appear to be in severe pain, at least not enough to keep her from eating, and the wound appeared to be healing. There was no sign of blood. Based on our discussion after Blondie's injury, I gathered that this one had also been in a run-in with a large dog somewhere in the neighborhood. The dog had apparently caught her by the back in that area just behind the shoulders. That seems to be a popular spot for dog's to grab hold of raccoons. I figure those two gashes were made by the dogs upper and lower teeth as he held onto her. I'm wondering now whether the hair on her back was ripped out in the getaway that followed. It was an expensive lesson, and one which I am sure she will never forget. I am equally sure that she will not make that mistake again.

The following night she came up to me looking for treats, all the way up to put her nose to my calf. This gave me a great opportunity to view the wound up close as I looked down at her back from above. Although still a hideous sight, it appears to be healing quite well. I don't think there is any risk of complications, and I'm sure in time the hair will grow back. Just a reminder of what life in the wild is really like.

Omg, that rips my heart out! Poor little thing, I guess she's lucky she survived.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Yes! And they were very non-chalant about the whole thing. It was so cute how the guy stopped and looked over his shoulder at me without otherwise changing positions. But for the fact that they paused the action momentarily when I turned on the light, they didn't otherwise bother to change positions or curtail their activities.

I had been late getting out there. I usually aim for 8:30-9 lately, and it was 10PM when I turned on the light. It seemed as though they were waiting on the patio to make sure they didn't miss dinner and were just multi-tasking. Or maybe they got bored out there waiting. LOL

Since I know some of you read the story to your kids, I wasn't quite sure how to articulate the activities of the evening in a kid friendly manner. (I guess I'll have to leave this part out of the kids book)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, starlight,

Yes, I'm definitely getting to know more than I wanted to know.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I was thinking the same thing - that she was lucky to have survived. Looking at her I couldn't help thinking how amazing it is what animals endure and how quickly they heal. The wound is healed over now, and there is no sign of pink or red skin anymore. She looks like she will be fine.

I really felt for her that night when I 1st saw her naked back (thank goodness the cold weather is pretty much over since she no longer has a decent winter coat). After I saw that, I tossed her all of the remaining treats. Everyone had already had at least one treat by then, so I just gave the rest to her - which is probably why now she comes up to me looking for treats.

The other raccoons don't seem to be treating her any differently, and she doesn't hesitate to get after them if they get too close to her food. All in all, except for how she looks, she seems fine. It has been a few days now, so I've had some time to accept the situation. It's not so garrish to me now as when I 1st saw here over there looking so 'butchered' and scalped yet still alive.

If it helps at all, I really do think she will be fine.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I was just getting ready for bed when I noticed that I had left the outside lights on in the backyard. As I approached the patio door on my way to turn off the lights, I saw a raccoon just on the other side of the door. I was quite surprised as I am unaccustomed to seeing raccoons on the patio this time of night. Usually, the are here maybe a half hour or so before feeding time, and they leave after they eat.

I figured it must be Dennis. I reached into my tote bag and retrieved the remains of the loaf of bread and can of frosting from earlier that night and opened the door intending to give her a sandwich. I called out to her a few times, and a minute or so later one of the youngsters (not Dennis) appeared on the patio. Then I heard Heidi speak. I don't know if she was talking to me or the kit, but I'd know that voice anywhere.

Heidi had been there earlier for the buffet but had left hurridly without finishing her food when a sound from the neighbor's house frightened her away. It had happened while I was busy interacting with the kits, and she was gone before I realized what was happening. I guess she was still hungry and, seeing the lights on out back had returned in hopes of finding a snack.

A couple of years ago I hit upon the idea of using the lights to signal the raccoons when it's dinner time. I turn them on before I fix the food to let them know that I'm on the way. When the buffet is closed, I turn the lights off. Otherwise, I rarely go out there at night, so I rarely turn the outside lights on and never leave them on. I was wondering if the raccoons would come to recognize the lights as a signal. The fact that Heidi and the kit were waiting on the patio this late at night on the evening when I left the lights on by accident seems to indicate that they do 'get it'.

Anyhow, upon hearing Heidi's voice, I called her name a time or two and she poked her head through the camellia bush to look at me and then stepped out onto the patio. Heidi is a 'truly' wild raccoon, and as such she has her idiosyncrasies. She is most comfortable when we follow the routines because then she knows what to expect and how to act.in my world. Whenever we vary from the comfort of routine, Heidi doesn't quite know what to do with herself or what the proper protocol is. So it was when she stepped out onto the patio in response to my call. She knew it was me and that I was calling her, so she stepped out onto the patio to say, "Here I am", but this was not part of our routine, and so she was uncomfortable with what to do next.

At times like this, I can almost see the wild raccoon on one of Heidi's shoulders telling her not to trust the humans and the sudo tame one on the other shoulder saying, "but this human is ok". I can literally watch as Heidi vacillates between between trusting me and doing the non-routine thing vs doing what comes natural to her which is to run. So it was that almost as soon as she stepped out onto the patio, she danced about a minute and then ran off the patio to disappear into the shrubbery once more.

I made her a nice, fat frosting sandwich and called her name again. Almost instantly her face appeared in the shrub once more. Still standing there in the doorway, I held the sandwich out to her and called her name again. The face in the shrub looked at me and I could clearly see her struggling with whether to come or not. Then I realized it was an awful lot to ask of her. There were just so many 'new', non-routine elements of that moment: me standing rather than sitting, the open door with me in it all of the distractions and scary things w/in the house behind me, and so on. Not wanting to put her in such a difficult position, I tossed the sandwich to her. It landed about 10in from the spot where her face was peaking under the camellia at me. Two furry arms reached through the shrub to grab the sandwich. The kit nearby made a run for it, but Heidi's claws hooked it just in time, and she pulled it back into the shrub.

After that I carried the remaining bread and frosting out to the buffet area intending to feed Heidi and the kit. As soon as I sat down raccoon started coming out of the forest in droves. At least 1/2 of the gang was out there. I passed out sandwiches until the frosting ran out. Heidi came right up to my knees of her own accord to retrieve and eat her treats.

Oh dear, you would think those two raccoons would prefer a bit of privacy...shameless creatures. Guess it was a good way to pass the time while waiting for dinner (lol).

Sorry to hear about the hairless wonder, and it does sound like she ran into a fair-sized dog. Dogs will typically try to grab the coon at the scruff or shoulder blades, rather than going for the "pointy end" that's facing them. Unfortunately for the dog, raccoons do not go limp when scruffed, as cats will often do. They are still fairly mobile, and especially are able to twist quite a bit while scruffed; thus they often manage to put a serious hurting on the dog's nose and/or eyes, which causes dog to drop them before more harm is done. Unfortunately, there certainly are times when a dog particularly skilled will manage to kill the coon, but rarely if ever without collateral damage to himself. A raccoon seriously ticked-off, or whose life is in danger, is one very formidable foe; the damage they can do in a matter of seconds is quite impressive.

Had to laugh at the tale of the late-night serving at the diner. The change in routine may have given them pause, but certainly didn't deter their appetites.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Creatures of habit, aren't they?
An unnatural habit to them, but still....a new habit.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Later last night I heard a knock at the back door. I got out of bed to check. It was Dennis. She wanted to know if she could come inside and sleep at the foot of the bed with Widget. Turns out, Dennis is a total comforter 'hog'.

Pffffftttttt......(coffee all over the keyboard here!)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sharon,

I was just checking to see if anyone was listening. : )

The other night I was so shocked to find Dennis in the chair behind me, but it seems like no matter what Dennis does no one is at all amazed. I started thinking I could say, "Dennis climbed up and sat on top of my head" and everyone would go (y-aw-n) "I knew that was going to happen..suprised it took so long."

So I thought I would try saying something totally off the wall - just to see if anyone was listening. ;-D

Maybe it's just that I'm feeling pretty spry these days.

It's great that you are feeling good, finally. Nice change, isn't it?

I think everyone is reading. I almost didn't open the thread when it came up this morning because I like to read your stories late in the evening. Being a night owl, it's my favorite thing to read last, or first, depending on the hour.

But yes....I am always reading every word. And living vicariously......

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sharran,

Thank you. :-)

I didn't mean to suggest that you 'guys' weren't reading. I was being somewhat 'tongue in cheek' about the whole thing. Guess I'm in a silly mood again now that I feel better.

It's just that after years of telling 'Dennis stories' I've come to the conclusion that there may be absolutely nothing that I can say about Dennis to even raise an eyebrow 'out there'. I find that humorous and a bit endearing. It is as though everyone has just accepted that Dennis is just a big ring-tailed, masked dog now, just a big pet who happens to sleep in the forest.

Anyhow, I was just joking around and checking my hypothesis. I figured I'd tell the biggest Bill Cosby (aka The Cosby Show) tall tale about Dennis and see if anyone would react. I'm starting to think that even if I said Dennis joined me at the dinner table (inside) and poured tea or Dennis went to work with me this morning and is currently writing software or..., everyone would go, "oh, ok". It's like nothing Dennis could do would amaze anyone anymore.

That's all. I was suggesting that you guys had deserted me or anything. : )
But thank for the kind words. One can never get too many of those.

Oh, I know. Never fear. I throw zingers like that into my articles sometimes...and yes, one can never get too many kind words.

I am watching my bluebirds this morning, and the titmouse who will not leave them alone. The bluebirds are trying to build a nest in their box, the titmouse is having none of it. Sometimes it is a Carolina wren, but today it is a titmouse. Sound familiar?

This picture was taken last week when they first appeared. It has been a battle ever since. Forgive me for taking up space on your thread, but thought you might enjoy their squabbles...the titmouse won't sit still long enough for a picture.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Awhhhh! What adorable blue birds!

Yes, LOL, I am quite familar with titmouse antics. Here in the Carolina's those wrens are very well behaved, however, and never cause a problem.

As much as I enjoy all birds, I sure hope the bluebirds win this one. I had a family of gorgeous bluebirds move into my yard a few years back, but the mockingbirds were absolutely determined to chaise them away. I would see the mockingbird chaising behind the bluebird time after time all day long. For the longest time, the bluebirds persisted. They managed to stay long enough to raise their young but did not return the following summer. Bummer.

That photo was taken through a sliding glass door, so not as clear as I would like. I'll keep you updated as per their antics.

Oh, Shar, the bluebirds are beautiful! I've never seen one up here in northern KY.
ROFL, I'll bet Dennis would indeed be a 'comforter hog'. I can almost see her chasing Widget off, then gathering big wads of the comforter all around herself!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hahahhaa. Just havign a chance to catch up. Good One Cheryl. Now I really be laughign ym head off if oen of these nights, Dennis doe s knock in racoon fashion and scoots on past ya and refuses to give up her side of the bed. LOL

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Reading...but I could never picture Dennis sitting down and having tea...at least not properly!! LOL :)

Edited for my bad spelling and omitting words!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 8:43 AM

I'm with you, nanny; granted Dennis has calmed down a lot as she's matured, but a tea party seems like a stretch for her, even these days....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I think Dennis would accidently push Widget off the side of the bed and then cast a look of great concern at him down there on the floor that way.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

With the raccoons it's amazing how often something we joke about one year ends up happening for real the next year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

nanny, Ruth,

You would be very surprised at the new Dennis. Now that she is all grown up, Dennis is very calm and well mannered - so far, at least. She is very sweet now. Also, her ADHD seems to be much better now. These days she crouches beside me and eats quietly and w/o all that wandering around and such. It is amazing to see the difference time and a little maturity has made with her.

Man, bet there are a lot of human parents who wish that maturity cured ADHD in our species, also.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.