What Iris Do You Have Coming ????

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

What a gorgeous picture, Booj.

Is it actual straw you use? I thought that seeded?

Lebanon, OR

If I get what they call wheat straw it does not seed.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I know some are not winter hardy, maybe the wheat straw isn't. I had a bale of hay one time, and spread it out, and it looked like a field of grass, and even came back the next year. I really need some for my walkways.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I use straw. It is supposed to be wheat straw, but it picks up the seeds of all the weeds in the field. But it makes a lovely mulch. Probably much better than hay. Most of the weeds are actually just wheat that didn't get harvested. Yes, it is weedy, but no, it isn't too bad.

Winnsboro, TX

Hey I think we should all be able to get a huge bail out in order to purchase as many irises as we want and from whatever hybridizer we choose.

I just know there has to be something in the presidents bill for us Iris ADDICTS. There's something for everyone else.
If any of you are up for trading please look over my have list and let's work up some trades or exchange.

Happy Gardening, Marian

Raleigh, NC

boojum, please put me in your dmail list when you post your RU. Randall has wanted to vacation to New England for years and years, and it's not likely we'll get to go in the autumn. since I'm not working (rather, since i"m not getting paid anymore) maybe we try for it. I haven't been back to the Boston area since college, except for one reunion. would be nice to show Ruth Jean where I attended school.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Will do.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Okay...here's what I ordered from Napa Iris....and this is it...I mean it....no more!!!LOL

TB Iris "BIRTHDAY GIRL"

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

TB Iris "SKATING PARTY"

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

TB Iris "STARRING"..............(all photos are from Napa website)

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

TB Iris "WAIMEA CANYON SUNRISE"

(Doesn't this one just scream "come to Hawaii!!!!"lol)

Thumbnail by grannyh
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Great Choices granny
:)
A

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you, A

Santa Ynez, CA

grann....you should have said something, I have Skating Party and Starring....would have been happy to trade or something with you:)

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

grann, just start a thread "Looking For" and some will respond, great way to obtain iris. Those are great choices, Starring usually sells out so dang fast everywhere.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Wish that idea would've crossed my mind this time....but oh well!!..lol! I'll definately check here frist before I order any again. That's a good idea to start a search thread first for ones I'm thinking about getting.
Thank you both for the ideas!!

Lebanon, OR

Any of you got to Boojam RU remember you can not go unless YOU POST A TON OF PICTURES that is one condition! LOL

Wish I could come

D

I love seeing others pics of my garden. They are always different from what I take.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Well more money - probably down the tubes but I ordered some Really cool Junos and some Regelias from the Lithuanian Rare Bulb Garden, Thankfully A friend has a direct line to them so with sharing the cost is not totally outrageous.

http://www.litbulbgarden.com/catalogue4.php#iris

The Juno
The dwarf Juno TOVIL DARA
the Iris (Juno) x WARLSIND
and Iris rosenbachiana VARZOB were just too good to pass up

The regilias got more hoogiana and Thor and Vera but really like their own introduction ILION which is a cross between (I. stolonifera x I. hoogiana) . This is I. hoogiana's 5th year here so I have big hopes for this one.

I This is where I hope to get Oncos once I am ready for them.
:)
A

Raleigh, NC

wow anita, those sound fascinating.

well, unless something major happens, looks like my iris $$ is going to new camera instead. we can't find my good one after my trip to San Antonio - had it at Bjwilson's house, saw it on the seat in the rental car as I was returning it, think I recall it being in the way when I rummaged for my ID at the airlines. But now it's no where. ooooooh. all my riverwalk photos were in there.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, Anita! Those sound like truly cool bulbs! I expect there will soon be some very interesting new avmoran introductions based on these.

Shepherd, MT

Got my order in Blyth

Arthouse
Hysteria
into temptation
Glances
Partygoer
ticklish
yallah
Arrianna
Blue flirt
Echo Catcher
Irish darling
Love the Look
Mykonos sunset
Storm song
Wordsmith
Crave
Hearye
Tweek
Apricot kisses
Awake
Olives & umber
Gluise
Stash
Fine idea
Silk & Honey
Sirocco Mist
Purr

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! That must have cost an arm and a leg!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm impatiently waiting for my iris to get going for the year! I ordered some last year from Dea, and am thrilled that it looks like they all made it through their first winter (except maybe one dwarf, but it may yet rally). I just cannot wait for them to bloom! I'll be out there every day with my camera!

Granny, that Cupid's Arrow in the first post is incredible! You'll have to let us know if it looks that great in real life, or just in the promo photos! LOL I love Foreign Legion and Starring, too. They'll look fabulous together. Hmm, seems I'm drawn to the really dramatically colored ones.

Boojum, is that your YARD? Oh, I think I've died and gone to iris heaven. And I was excited about my couple of dozen or so. I guess we all have to start somewhere. I sure wish I lived close enough to go to your RU. . .I've only been to the Iowa one, and it was a blast!

Angie

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Mainecoon, have you already recieved these beautys?

Yes, Bookerc, that's my yard. It is my third garden so I also started small. But beardless irises are the reason I started gardening so I have a lot. This used to be an old dairy farm so there's lots of open sunny spaces. Wish you could come too!

Raleigh, NC

wish I had sunny spaces, more of. Randall is leaving for VA tomorrow, be gone three days. wonder if I can work the chain saw by myself? ^_^

South Hamilton, MA

Blyth irises often arrive in April. Remember, the seasons are reversed. We have potted ours & planted them in the ground in July. They may take an extra year before they bloom.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes we've ordered from them the last 3 years, they pot up really well.(Actually had all but 2 rebloom after their bloom cycle) I know we recieved ours in March last year, and was curious to see if he had started mailing to the states. We usually get an email from Barry before shipment actually begins.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2009 5:33 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I ordered from Blyth for the first time in 2008. I got lovely plants and all but one or two bloomed in the fall of this year. I look forward to seeing what happens in the spring.

Nice pictures grannyh!!!!!!!!!!!

Shepherd, MT

I had other people from our iris club order also, so the $40 cert fee will be split between all of us. All of us ordered different irises, hopefully next year our club will be trading our Blyth orders among ourselves.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a good idea! I wish I could talk the members of my club into it. They love Blyth irises, but they don't even order all the ones Keppel offers. I do think the world of Blyth's irises. I notice you all ordered a lot of medians. I assume that is because of your northerly climate. I don't know much about Blyth's medians.

I would love to be able to order Blyth's iris, I tried but they made it as far as the post office 45 minutes away and were shipped back. I might have needed an import permit, but what is unusual is I can order no problem form Cayeux, they always arrive with no issues. I am a big fan of his and Darlene Pinegars iris.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Booker,..cat.....~~Thank you! I hope they all bloom true to photo, also. I'm not ususally disappointed in the Iris that I get from Schreiner's or Napa. 'What you see is what you get' ....from both of them, but I'll be sure to post pics so we can compare.

South Hamilton, MA

Cat--you don't need an import permit from Blyth & I'm sure there was a phytosanitary certificate with them. Your post office people are obviously ignorant or playing games.

Just plain RUDE, thankfully Barry refunded my money and I was able to recoupe them from Keppel.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, at least they returned them. Mine probably would have kept them. Did you ever ask what happened? But apparently it wasn't your local PO, it was a hub? Or is your PO actually 45 miles away? I would have been so ticked!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is terribly frustrating, cat. I would be very angry. I had that happen once with a wooden bowl that I had shipped from Hawaii. Luckily it wasn't perishable. The postman couldn't fit it in my mailbox and took it back to the post office, but never left me a notice. The post office shipped it back to Hawaii. I had it traced and found it was sitting in the PO in the town in Hawaii where I had purchased it. I finally got it.
I once ordered some silver from ebay. Since it was valuable after a reasonable amount of time, I contacted the seller. The seller must have really known his business because he told me to check with my PO. So I did and sure enough it was there and definitely no notice.
I have since met a person who worked in a Post Office and he told me the reason things were such a mess is that the PO treats its workers horribly and as a result they take no pride in their work. This probably isn't true everywhere, but it may explain some of their problems.

It was a hub. I had 13 pots waiting for 8 months for those iris, I was so upset. I told Barry if we did this again I would want a tracking number that way if it gets stuck again I could just go and pick them up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.