Who was in ISO of the shade...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

...loving plants? Was it you, Devon? Got my Garden Gate magazine in yesterday...all kinds of stuff for shade in there....so speak up who ever you are and I'll share the info.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Chantell -- yes, it was me -- and a million thanks for remembering -- I get Garden Gate too (don't totally love it though -- my current fave is Fine Gardening) -- but I'll check out the shade lovers! I keep stretching the envelope, by putting sun loving plants where it is only occasionally sunny, plants that like it mostly sunny where there is only a hint of sun, and so on. I have an area of quite deep shade I'm struggling with. . . .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok-dokie...then I won't need to retype what you already have to read...LOL The magazine is ok...but not something I'd spend that amt of money on for every other month when, at least to me, it doesn't appear to have THAT many articles etc.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That was what I thought -- not enough articles, plus the articles were a little too simplistic.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Fine Gardening, on the other hand, might just get a subscription from me thanks to their free issue offer. :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I find I read it cover to cover. The writing quality is indifferent. Their writers use "I" constantly ("I did this, then I did that"), which gets on my nerves. Plus the editors must give instructions to authors to end each article with a zippy line, which gets tiresome when every article does it because they are so contrived. But FG often names plants I haven't heard of that I really want to try, and that gets me excited (pitiful, isn't it?).

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not pitiful at all...that's exactly why I stalk Tops Tropicals site...there may be a fragrant I don't have yet...LOL

FREE? Jill did you say free...hmmmm...going ISO the free FG issue - thought it was the Garden Gate freebie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

it was a September offer, and I think it's over (didn't get my magazine until a few weeks back).

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/905698/#new

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh well....now that you mention it I'd signed up for one of the freebies last year....Dynamite, maybe? Never got it...so sad.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy - look someone's tryin' to help you out http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957565/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the heads up, Chantell! I scooted right over there!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here I am just falling so in love with the shade plants and not near enough shade to go around. I just renewed my GG magazine. I had decided not to as I get so much info here and thru other websites but then I was looking at some old issues and decided to keep it. Old magazines are one of my worst clutter problems I just never get rid of them and have piles sitting round.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL I hear ya...I've got one of Glen's last catalogs for FCG still upstairs as a reference - how bad is that?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Speaking of gardening mags - I just picked up 2 x FG - and also a Birds & Bloom issue called "Thrifty Gardener" - awesome, awesome stuff - instead of sleeping last nite I was reading ^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I ordered the latest edition of Tops T. magizine - it's got "pushing your zone" in this one...just screamed CHANTELL!!! So I HAD to get it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Tops T?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bet that's a Tropical Mag???

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL Why yes it is...how did you ever guess... ^_^ http://www.ttmagazine.info/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That might be interesting when I get my Greenhouse up.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh a greenhouse....I'd be in heaven for sure. When are you gettin' one/????

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

In the plans for this summer. When you come up for the swap there may be a footer started you'll have to walk around and I will point and say "This is where the little pond goes and this is where the Orchids will grow." "Where do you think I should plant the Tree Fern?" LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Woooo whoooo what fun!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.