Who's got ⚇ EYES!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I can finally join in as well! I think all of my hosta are present and accounted for. Yay. Some look like they have multiplied as well. My Junes were the most prolific, though. They went from 2 eyes to 6 or so. This will be my 2nd year with them. Even the Sum and Substance that I thought I lost last season (dog trampled it, shredded it, and one last remaining leaf rotted off), is popping up with 3 eyes! M. Aureomarginata is leafed out already, as are most of my plain jane no-name hostas (plaintain lillies?).

Dallas, TX

two NOIDS flanked by a Villosa Heucherra

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

White Wall Tires beaten down by the rain.

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

June of course!

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

LIBERTY from Naylors about six weeks old.

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE spreading all over the place.

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Springville, IA

Beaux. DW thinks it is 4 or 5 years old. It is definitely happy where it's at.

Steve. Thanks for the compliment. That is the first bed we started out with. This year we hope to pull the plants out, work in a load or two of pony poo, and thin out some of the hostas. Things have gotten real crowded in there.

Gary

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Gary, I was gonna ask you if you had a picture of that bed all filled in from later in the summer. I think I've got some of mine overcrowded...since I don't have a lot of room, I tend to do that. I need to figure out this year which ones I really want to keep, and which ones I can give away.

So after the extra warm temps, a few are starting to unfurl..and of course it's supposed to be near freezing tonight, depending on which weather site I check. Ugh!

Springville, IA

These were taken in July of last year.

Thumbnail by kitgary
Springville, IA

Another pic. This bed is only about 4 years old so most of these hostas aren't even fully grown yet. We have the same problem with all of our beds. We have a tendency to pack as many hostas as we can into each bed . As they mature we will be going through this process more. That is the price a Hostaholic pays for the opportunity to HAVE MORE HOSTAS. We said we weren't going to buy hardly any this year and already have a half dozen new ones and are scouring every garden center for their new intros. Oh well we might have to dig another new bed.

Thumbnail by kitgary

LOL, Gary. I wish I could add more beds, but there just isn't any room, unless we move. I've been out moving things around, trying to accommodate for their mature sizes, but I'm worried...I know I have too many. And I too have new ones on order!! I'm totally out of control.

What is the one on the far left front corner in your first pic, and is it slug resistant? Just asking out of curiosity, of course!!

Springville, IA

Far left corner is Clifford's Stingray. It seems to be a little more resistant than many in that bed. That is another reason we are redoing the bed. It seems to be a slug smorgasboard. We will move out many of the tastier hostas and get a head start on slug control this year. We have already given the bed an ammonia bath and treated it with Sluggo earlier.

Springville, IA

Noreaster. I don't know what your room situation is but if it is just a lack of shade you could do what we did 2 years ago when we ran out of shade. We built a pergola. Unfortunately it's full now also.

Thumbnail by kitgary
Medford, NJ

I have hundreds of eyes...but unfortunately, so do the local deer. A few nights ago one or two of them must have spent several pre-dawn hours munching their way thru my entire yard, they hardly missed a thing, probably ate at least 75% of what was on it's way up. One good thing, I traded with Bev last year and I planted the trades in a bed up closer to the house, and they missed those!

Oh well, the eyes that got chewed on will produce some ugly leaves, but they will live, I can just prune out the chewed stuff as the plants grow...so depressing though. I try to look at it in a positive way, and I think about how last year very early one morning, I looked outside and saw a doe with two fawns in the yard. That was a pretty site. I love animals and would think the world a sad place without them, but it is still frustrating to garden around here!!! I am afraid to plant my impatiens now...another one the deer find yummy...

Gary, I could expand to the front yard, half of which is shaded by oaks, but I'm afraid to do it for the reason jmp24 just mentioned- deer. Right now, the deer do not cross over our fence into the backyard, which I know they easily could do. So, not only do I not want to feed them from the front yard, but I don't want to lure them into the yard at all just in case they are tempted to jump the fence.

Sorry about that, jmp- that is just heartbreaking!

Now that I have eyes, I'll tell you what I really want- leaves on the trees. This time of year bugs me, because our trees don't fully leaf out until the end of May. My yard is too sunny right now!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Gary your Montana coloration is the bomb dot com! lol Love it!
and your Gold Edger is just CRAZY!! 145 eyes is amazing!

Noreaster - I hear you on the trees.
I was worried about a few things getting too much sun - especially late in the afternoon but then the trees filled out rather quickly.
Hope you get leaves on your soon!!

Everyones stuff is coming out so nicely. SO GLAD winter is OVER!!!

Kristy

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sylvia,

Never say never! Look what I found had popped up after I got back from IA tonight....my Tokudama - we'll see what it does.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, that is good news. I wanted one of those. :(

Dallas, TX

Steve, I rest my case, Patti told me hers was struggling but was coming along. So I reordered the Flavo and the Aureo from one of the top growers in the country. Actually Steve I dont think I even planted Tokoduma, because after my sugery was over and I was able to get around ... I found about 45 hostas still in the fridge. Someone was going to come plant them for me, so I decided to soak them ... they never came and the plant turned to mush.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, not good Sylvia! Did you lose them all?

Dallas, TX

yes I did! I had this spot next to the carport and they were such a mess, I just spread them all out and covered them with soil. I never saw anything come up until last weekend, after I placed a shelving unit on top of that soil, there is two leaves appearing and coming up thru the wires. I had placed pots on the shelves ... so when I water the pots it goes down in the ground. I dont know what i am going to do if they all start coming up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.