Who's got ⚇ EYES!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Yay! I have seen 7 different ones so far.
For my first season this is pretty exciting! I can't wait to see them this year.
Reckon I'll go check out the threads about dividing. Never done that before so should be interesting.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

these eyes are this hosta near the middle right.
Have no idea what it is but I love it

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5988452

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

ARGH!!!!! It will be a month or two before I see eyes!!!!!

Congratulations! :) LOL

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got some just barely clearing the surface, and others with leaves starting to uncurl. It's exciting for me too because this is the first time I've grown hostas, and they survived last summer and the winter! Woo Hoo!

Now the question is...can I find room for more? LOL

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh sure, rub it in, Lowellsf!!! The agony of it all!!

You could at least post a picture or two to give us Northerners something to gaze at that's green!! :) LOL

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

:D sorry bout that ticker! I bet ya'll are still freezing up there aren't you?

lowell, I am the same way. lol I have ordered a ton & have 120 seeds going. We'll see how it goes.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't started my seeds yet. I bought so many. I'm afraid if even some of them germinate, along with all the plants I've ordered from these %#@&%% Co-ops that I'll run out of room. ^_^

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A couple of mine are showing up right now. It's snail bait time! Most of them will be up later in March but we're having a very weird early spring. The winter has been very mild so I'm worried that I'm going to lose a lot of them. Just wait and see I guess.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

GREAT its pouring rain here we have weeks yet be for any thing should be comming up you guys are sooooo lucky!!!! ;0)

I go out and tell mine NOT to even think about comming up or they will get there little heads froze off !!!!
Gloria

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

doss, thanks for the reminder about snail/slug bait. I wouldn't have thought about it until much later.

Sarah

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I put mine out several weeks ago. They had been enjoying some of an early clematis. Haven't seen a sign of them since.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

OH! I better put it out soon then. I've got some clematis that I planted last year just starting to come up also. Sheesh. So much to do, so little time. LOL.

Sarah

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

yep, get it down or sluggies will have the munchies!

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

The slugs seemed to only bother my hostas last year. The clematis didn't seem bothered by them. The clematis didn't do well because I don't think I planted them in appropriate places. A couple I planted in a spot that had lovely filtered winter sun, but was totally shaded in the summer. Others I planted in the shade because I didn't want the fierce TX summer sun to scortch them, but I don't think they got enough sun. I'm going to have to move all of them this year. Where, oh where to put them???

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh, I'm so jealous! I have so much spring cleaning to do out there, though, that honestly I need to get that done. Ticker, you really think we'll see pips in a month? I'm thinking at least mid-April but I never really paid much attention in the past.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have suprise lillies coming up allready. Yikes I hope the hostas don't. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

of course they are calling for snow now starting tomorrow.
I just got back from the dentist & have 4 wisdom teeth trying to come thru & don't have room for them. :(
No wonder I thought my jaws were going to fall off! I have a consultation with an oral surgeon for wednesday.
Reckon I'll go pop a pain pill and head out to cover the hostas. Good thing I have a huge compost pile going. Leaves round here are never ending.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry about the late snow racer. I sure am glad that you have noticed that your hostas need to be covered so that they will be fine. What happens to hostas when they get snowed on without protection?

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I checked again this evening when I got home and I've got all sorts of eyes coming up. Here's a picture of H. Venusta. I planted this very late last fall, and I'm thrilled it's coming up.

Sarah

Thumbnail by lowellsf
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Congrats Sarah! I see those green eyes! lol

Doss, I have no idea, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. We never get snow down here so I'd rather just cover them up & not worry all night if my new babies are going to freeze to death or not. lol

Dallas, TX

Sarah it behooves me knowing you got all those Hostas coming up and we are next door to each other :( I saw two or three pips coming through today. ... the yard is full of leaves,the man is coming in the morning to blow them out, hopefully I will see something. ... we had a very mild winter and no rain...its supposed to be 28f Sunday ... the poor darlings will be so confused!

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm concerned about the forecast temperatures for Saturday night/Sunday morning. Do I need to cover the hostas that are starting to come up? I've got clematis that are starting to come up also. What do I do? !?!?!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

What are the temps going to be?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Alright now that is enough of the showing off!!! I agree with Ticker.... we are all so jealous here in the northern states. Still snow and frost in our immediate forecast!!! I also am shaking my finger at the hostas Gloria... Stay under ground if you know what good for you. LOL. We say this every "spring" don't we? Ronna

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm new to gardening outdoors and need your advice. It's supposed to get down to 31° tonite with a wind chill of 22°. I've got hostas, clematis and daylillies that are starting to come up. Do I need to cover them?

Thanks.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

lowell, I honestly don't know but I covered all of mine with leaf piles & the big clematis on the mailbox got double covered with big garbage bags and tied at the bottom. (my neighbors prob think I'm nuts) Better safe than sorry. It's supposed to get down to 29º tonight here too. If your worried about them cover them. If you don't have leaves maybe old raggedy towels or something???

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

They've got a pretty healthy covering of leaves, so I think I'll just leave everything be. Any that don't have leaves will get covered some other way.

Thanks.

Wyoming, MN

lowell

You may experience some damage at that temperature, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. If current growth is affected, they will try again.

Gary

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Guess it's about that time of year that we get to experience spring vicariously through our hosta buddies in warmer climes :-)) Smiling here!

Sandy

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I love early spring in Michigan I spend more time covering and uncovering than I do any thing else makes time go by faster if your running in and out all the time ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I would just leave them alone. They will try again thats the beauty of perinneals!! Very hardy. We had a little warmer spell here a few weeks a go and now I noticed some daffys poking there little heads out. They will be fine I have had them poking out for a good two months before and still had beautiful blossoms. LOVE Daffys!!! Come on spring!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The daffodils are up here as are the flowering quince. I've got eyes on plantaginea and korean snow. Korean Snow is actually up fairly far and the leaves are beginning to unfurl.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Doss my neighbor has a quince bush and its so pretty. We do not seem them until late April or June. Not fair! But georgeous!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Its so cold here right now that even I don't want to stick my nose out yet ;0)
Gloria

Dallas, TX

Sarah it dont cold enough here to worry about hostas. I still dont see but three pips! the fruit trees are blooming, lorpetulum and those (80) White Metal something or the other I got in a coop last year are coming up all over the place! I sure hope my Hostas were not sacrificed planting those lillies. Its awful when you cant do things yourself ... you always worry if they did it right.
I saw blooming qunince at Low's yesterday ... so I ran home to see what mine was doing ...it growing but not blooming... strange ... it always bloomed.
Daffodils and Hyacinth was marked down to 87 cents, I left out of there with thirty of them. :)

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey Gloria, didn't ya'll just get slammed with more snow?

Sylvia - 87¢? Now that's a deal for hyacinth. I have a few blue ones under my clematis out at the mailbox. They haven't bloomed yet but getting close. I love those! Squirrels will probably dig them up though knowing them. ACK! Rascals!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh a week or so we did but not much since then its just bone chilling cold now but i think it's going to warm up by the week end I hope it stays that way my son and his girl friend are getting married in Shamrock Park on the 17 St Pattys day goofy kids !!!;0)

Gloria

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ha ha, good for them!
Dh & I got married on the 1st day of spring - March 20th. It'll be 5 years this year. ☺

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

congrats to you and your hubby they were going to get married in june but though St. Patricks day would be more fun I think its so my son can remember there aniversery hes a lot like his dad we will be married for 38 years this September whuuuu ;0)

Gloria

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

38 years?! That's amazing! Good for you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.