DG Marketplace: THANK YOU DGers Mix Match Clematis KOIGARDEN

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Did anyone else see this on the Marketplace? This is a GREAT DEAL! I am off to go look now, I just wanted to let you guys know.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

oooo, off to see too. lol

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ok. I'm soooooooooo interested, but are they good plants? trustworthy? etc?

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I just got five. I checked them out in Watchdog and they got good ratings. So I will trust everything to be fine.

I particularly like that they had one for shady spots. I got three of those to go under a large grouping of oaks. It gets dappled shade.

At least I have until May to get their homes ready.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Any idea how long it would take this size (2.5" pot) to bloom?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I really can't answer that about these. I have never ordered from them, but I know a few people here have.

I have purhcased a few from Lowes and Wal Mart, and they usually grow a bit the first year and maybe put out a few blooms, but take off the next year and are COVERED by the third.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought a small pot two years ago at Lowes. It put out one bloom and didn't grow very much. Then last year it put out several blooms right up until first frost and grew about five feet. Kind of spindly. Now it is putting out new growth everywhere.

There is a saying, and I know it to be true, "sleep, creep, leap". The first year a plant is planted, it sleeps. Doesn't grow much. The second year it creeps, grows a little more. The third year it takes off.

I suspect these 2.5" pots will take at least one year to establish roots and not do too much. The second year there ought to be a marked increase. I'm willing to wait for the plant to grow. Most perennials do take a couple of years to get really established.

I planted a NOID from Lowes last Fall. It already has new growth on it and it was in a 2.5" pot. I also bought two more from another grower and neither one of them are showing signs of life. So they may need more time. They came in a 4" pot I think.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

It's nice to see two great minds think alike. :)

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

LOL...And you both told me what I already knew...Was hoping for some magical, mystery answer...LOL

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

don't we wish! Instant gratification. NOT. My plants have tauhgt me a lot about patience. Something I'm in need of. That's why I like my annuals. At least that is almost instant. And most of my annuals I over winter in the GH. So I pretty much have color year round.

(Zone 4a)

What is the link? I would like to see.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

TexasG...Patience is NOT one of my virtues. Every year I tell myself if I had planted this or that last year, I'd have it this year, but NOOOoo, I didn't want to wait. So then I don't have it at all. My greenhouse doesn't overwinter much (anything ) at 50 below in the winter.
That sale is too good to pass up but I have to overwinter them in the garage and since last year's clem's have come out of dormancy way too soon, I'm questioning why I'd want to buy more to overwinter next year...That rationale usually slows me down but it doesn't stop me...

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I I I ddddon't kknnow whwhat tttto say. My teeth are chattering just thinking about where you live. I think you'd be lucky to grow anything.

I'm kind of like you, putting it off because it takes so long to grow. But since retirement I say, I've got nothing but time. So I have been planting a little each year since moving here in 2005 from SW FL. Some of the plants were already here. The ones I added the first summer will leap this year. So I have been enjoying the process.

Jerome is very nice to work with and already has my order and is waiting for my payment. Then he'll send them out. It's been a good experience so far.

Delaware, OH

i have heard good things about koi gardens, but have never ordered from them. i noticed they do ship in very small pots.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Go to his site www.koigardenclub.com and scroll down to his pic and explanation on how he ships dormant clems and why. Then click on the "Limited Time Special Offer" and scroll down to the pics of the plants he sends out. You won't be disappointed. A 2.5 pot sounds small, but the plants aren't.

I asked if I could throw two more of the specials in with my DG 5 for $35 offer. Waiting to hear from him.

DGer JeanneTX has said good things about Jerome and I trust her judgement. I am excited about getting my new clems. I hope I have helped you Niobe.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm sorry Niobe, I got it reversed. The link will take you first to the pics of the special offer clems. Scroll down to see the pics of the clems you would be getting. Then in the upper right hand corner click on the link to clematis and you will scroll down to see another pic with his reason for shipping small dormants. Yeesh. I complicate things don't I? I am taking darvocet for what the Dr thinks is rheumatoid arthritis, undiagnosed for sure, until the blood work comes back. I'm blaming my mix up on drugs. :) that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Delaware, OH

hope you feel better texasgrower. i have only heard good things about the folks at koi. not too many varieties on the site i do not have, and on the sale i have all of them, and multiples on most of them, so can't take advantage of it and give it a try.
every time i have bought a clem from anywhere in a 2.5 inch pot however, the risk factor is higher and the number of years till they truly establish is longer.

they have a great reputation however and that is a great sale for someone trying to expand their collection.

Athens, PA

If these are Jerome's plants from koi gardens, yes they come in small pots - but the root systems are tremendous. I have ordered from him in the past and have been thrilled. I too have most of the varieties that he has on his site. The root systems on the plants he sends are far larger than some of the plants I have received from some of the larger nurseries.

If the plants are from Bluebird, I have heard very good things about them from some of those on DG that live up that way. However, I have not seen them myself as of yet.

Delaware, OH

Hope to buy some from koi eventually and compare. Silver star vinery has the biggest roots i have ever purchased on a consistent basis( they would need a gallon pot).
I have purchased over 500 clem plants in the last 8 years, the minority from local sources, and the majority from mail order across the country.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Where do you all put these clems? I'm having a hard enough time figuring out where to put the seven I just bought. I already have four. That makes 11. Five hundred? Wow. I have a looooong way to go.

I am willing to wait longer for the plant to mature to save money. The bigger gallons are nice, sure, but more pricey. So as long as I'm getting healthy plants that will grow a little more each year I'm satisfied. Besides, the older I get, the faster time flies. So my little clems will be big before I know it.

Niobe, thanks for the well wishes. Once I know whether or not it's rhuematoid it will be better. I hate not knowing what's wrong. You can't fight an unknown. So, whatever it is, as long as I can still garden and take care of my grandbaby I'll be happy. But a little Darvocet ain't bad either. ;)

Delaware, OH

as for space for them, i have 2 acres. several clem gardens on the property and fewer around the house.
and many are planted as multiples. only 300+ (afraid to count) varieties. i grow them on shrubs and evergreens as they would in nature as well as on artifical supports such as arches, trellis oblesik and the like.

example of growing them on shrubs. here is clematis niobe peeking up behind alberta spruce and boxwood form 08. there is a small oblesik behind the alberta that doesn't really show and reallly isn't necessary with the clem plant maturing.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Athens, PA

Texasgrower -

I do the same as niobe does. I use shrubs and small trees, as well as fences and climbing up decking and obelisks and I also had my son put some of the plastic chicken wire around the areas on the house where the gutter spouts come down the house. I am at work, so I can't send any pictures right now. I am on a 1/3 of an acre and have 50 clems and still consistently find myself ordering more.

I'll send you some pics when I get home tonight.

Carolyn

Delaware, OH

nice to meet you carolyn. good thing you don't have your pics at work, or you might not get anything done!!! would love to see some of your clems.

Athens, PA

Nice to meet you niobe! Oh! I would much rather do this than work. However, in this economy, I better watch what I say.......

I'll send pics when I am home.

Carolyn

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a thread started titled, "show me your pics" on this forum. I asked people to show me how they display their clems. Please go over there and post ALL the pics you want. That way I will have them all in one place.

Hmmmmm, up bushes and trees huh. I thought they would look pretty going up a tree or two but my problem is the roots. I can't plant anything at the base of the trees except MG seed. I have tried to, but run into roots. I do have a 34ft x 8 ft arbor with wisteria growing all over it. I wonder if I were to put a clem on the end that gets less sun, it could fill in the thinner spots. The wisteria is real full until the last 10ft, then sort of thins. It is still blooming and leafy. Would the wisteria choke out the clem?

Athens, PA

Texasgrower - yes, the wisteria will choke out the clem. The roots of the wisteria will take over and choke out the clem.

I'll post my pics on the other thread.

Carolyn

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I thought it might. It's a very strong vine. See ya over athe pics thread.

Delaware, OH

i have some clems next to wisteria.
also in nyc there is a wall of clems on a public building on 8th and 56th st (brick wall, kennel fence in front of the brick) that plants with wisteria.
for me the issue isn't the roots, but i prune the life out of the wisteria so it does not take over. i sacrifice the wisteria blooms and just use the structure of the wisteria to support the clems. so the witeria rarely blooms, i cut off most foliage agressively 3 times a year. keep the foliage right where i want it. i just grow the wisteria for the purpose of filling in and supporting the clem. don't have a good pic of this but will take one this spring.
the building in nyc i am mentioning does this too, quite a coincidence i ran into it. the wisteria is pruned down in late spring but fills in nice in the spring while the clems get going.
sometimes with trees, there is a place at the base of the tree, very close to the tree between the main roots where there is space. i do not grow clems on tree bases because the tree just takes all the water . i think that is the issue. however, certain evergreens and planting the clem out near the end of the bottom branches i have had good luck with. here is a pic of hagley hybrid growing thru a norwalk spruce. the clem is planted about 3 feet from the trunk of the tree.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I couldn't sacrifice my wisteria. It's so full and blooms profusely and has the most wonderful fragrance. The bees and bumble bees just swarm it when it's in bloom. It's down by one of my beds. When I'm cleaning that bed up in the spring I share that space with the bees. They serenade me with their humming.

I'm not concerned about the roots as I am the vine. Wisteria sends out it's vines and grabs anything. It can bring any structure down with it's weight. It's not something you'd want by your house if you were to let it grow freely. It grows wild here in East Texas, and in the spring when it's blooming, you can see it growing upwards to 40 ft or better into the trees all along the highways. I'm just afraid it would strangle the clem rather than share the space.

The hagley hybrid has a nice color. Kind of bright and fresh looking. I like it.

Delaware, OH

if you do not prune the wisteria agressively it will take over the clem and strangle for sure. obliterate sun etc.
i use the wisteria simply as a foil to the clem and like i said 3 or more times a year prune it to the trunk, leaving foliage only where i want it to fill in the area.

if you have a gorgeous wisteria , mature and exactly what you want in a landscape i would not try to grow a clem on it either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.