Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: DG Marketplace: THANK YOU DGers Mix Match Clematis KOIGARDEN, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: DG Marketplace: THANK YOU DGers Mix Match Clematis KOIGARDEN

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DG Marketplace: THANK YOU DGers Mix Match Clematis KOIGARDEN
ClematisGuru wrote:
i have some clems next to wisteria.
also in nyc there is a wall of clems on a public building on 8th and 56th st (brick wall, kennel fence in front of the brick) that plants with wisteria.
for me the issue isn't the roots, but i prune the life out of the wisteria so it does not take over. i sacrifice the wisteria blooms and just use the structure of the wisteria to support the clems. so the witeria rarely blooms, i cut off most foliage agressively 3 times a year. keep the foliage right where i want it. i just grow the wisteria for the purpose of filling in and supporting the clem. don't have a good pic of this but will take one this spring.
the building in nyc i am mentioning does this too, quite a coincidence i ran into it. the wisteria is pruned down in late spring but fills in nice in the spring while the clems get going.
sometimes with trees, there is a place at the base of the tree, very close to the tree between the main roots where there is space. i do not grow clems on tree bases because the tree just takes all the water . i think that is the issue. however, certain evergreens and planting the clem out near the end of the bottom branches i have had good luck with. here is a pic of hagley hybrid growing thru a norwalk spruce. the clem is planted about 3 feet from the trunk of the tree.