Our favorite rocks, parte dos.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Since we're approaching 200 posts in the first thread, I thought a clean slate was in order. Here's where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948760/

No need for scientific names here, just post pics of your favorite rocks.

Obsidian lumps and chalcedony from (appropriately enough) Mineral County, Nevada.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you! for the new thread, now we just need HJM to move some dinosaurs over here. ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

HJM???? I missed a chapter somewhere...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My apologies, Mulch, I was referring to HappyJackMom who posted lovely photos of dinosaur and fish and shark rocks in the first iteration of this thread which reside here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948760/

And, let me say too I did not mean requesting HJM to move anything, but hoping for more of the same.......

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

OK Gals & Guys, what do you see in this rock?

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It looks like its had a hard life.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I see a face looks like it just got smacked by a baseball and is P.O.ed about it. The baseball is still there too, gee, I'd be in a bad mood too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Canto 30 by Salvidor Dali as interpreted by Rocks.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I dunno, Dahlia, it's missing that stretchy quality you see in the painting.

I'm think Dali as a teenager chewing gum.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Ahhh, I thought that you could look past the wrinkles, and see an emerging Beluga Whale! We once met a pair at the Stanley Aquarium in Vancouver, BC. As we walked around looking at them in the glass, they followed me like a kitten. Of course, I finally figured out that they thought I was a relative. 8^)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

*going back to look for whale*

Now that you mention it......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Reeeeealy HJM? I saw belugas in the Beaufort Sea from a chopper and I used to take my nephew to see them regularly when I lived in Vancouver BC. I always wanted to learn how to speak beluga. I can work with this ^_^ Let me look again. LOL Picante, maybe Dali Druids?

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Boy, insult our poor old ugly rocks. At least my lizard likes them. He follows me all over the yard and will perch on the nearest rock, I talk to it and it will cock it's head as though listening. He will sit there and watch me hoe weeds, water plants and move rocks around. Can only wonder what he is thinking.

Donna

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Zee Beaufort Sea? Oh là là, c'est fret désespoir! (That's French Canadian for "it's bloody cold".) Were you in a chopper, Dahlia, or a biplane? Or a glider?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'll bet the lizard is waiting for you to turn up worms or grubs or something HJM.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Love the lizard Donna!! I went to Flag this past weekend but could not convince the sis to pull over for rocks before we got there, it made me crazy so I am hoping to go to the Boyce Thompson arboretium and then road trip in the area to see what I can find. I just cannot wait for the snow up north to melt. I need rocks now!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Chopper.

Reno, NV

Hmm. I see the Beluga. And the wrikels add to athenticity. Aren't Belugas the ones that swim up a river to scrub on the rocks?

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Be darned if I know, Duchess. They are pure white and flabby, and normally stay in the colder waters of the ocean. Other wise, don't know much about them. They are neat animals though. They gotta be, they seemed to like us. LOL

Donna

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Speaking of critters, here's that lizard again. He just kept following me around. I'm used to the Robin following behind me, but not lizards. It will be interesting to see how much he/she has grown over the winter.

Lizard on favorite rock.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Marie, here's some rocks that are up for adoption.

Pile of rocks....

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will adopt them!! Now if your snow & cold would just go away!!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Found a site that indicates the Belugas give birth in rivers.

Reno, NV

Hmm. I found the peice I remember about them being attacked by polar bears but can't find the piece about them cleaning in rivers. If I remember right they gather for birthing, socializing, and they roll on the stones in the river to get clean. Something about it removeing parasites from their skin.

(and they must have great taste in humans to follow;)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 2:21 PM

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

That's interesting about the habits of Beluga Whales.

Reno, NV

I've always loved marine animals. The oceans are fascinating places that we know practically nothing about. Check out Narwhal whales for an interesting looking creature:)

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Yep, they believe that the Unicorn came to life when someone found a Norwhal horn. LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

NOOOOOOOOOO HJM there are unicorns. I do believe..... I do believe...

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey did anyone look at the moon tonight? I was walking to the grocery and noticed a huge star just to the right of it. I gather through the grapevine that it is actually Venus visiting us! This is as close as she will ever get to Earth?!? I don't know if it is true but you all should take a look! It is a beaut.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

We saw it too, it as brightest just after sunset.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Did you get a good pic marie? I tried but I have too many trees around my house.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I did not even think to try and take a pictre. I wish I would of now since it was so clear.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The moon and Venus were gorgeous together. I quite enjoyed watching them.

Dahlianut, there are Unicorns. The Narwhal is a relative. Unicorns are better at hiding and like more privacy anyway. There is an old story about a unicorn that fell in love with a goat. That is how we got Oryx. It is also why Oryx look like Unicorns in profile.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

There is also a breed of goats that the two horns have grown into one. Saw that on TV one time. So, there are unicorn goats, too. 8^)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Saw the crescent moon and Venus together. Magic in the air. Unicorns, too. Not to mention flying Ukrainian dancers last night. I saw them with my own eyes.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My camera is working so I took pictures of my orange/purple rocks. :) I went out to the Bisti Badlands in Western NM a few years ago. Its a site affected by a combination of coal deposits that burned and erosion. There are some wild looking formations and some incredible rocks. The base color of this rock is Orange. It the shade of that Orange rock sometimes used for landscaping and is almost the color of the ceramic tiles used for Spanish style roofs. When this Orange rock gets cooked it changes color and goes from Orange to Red to Purple to a dark Purplish Brown. I got lucky and found a couple rocks outside of the area as they discourage collecting.

The first picture shows a split rock with colored rings corresponding to different degrees of cooking. Orange and Red in this one.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 9:09 AM

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

This rock is the dark Purplish Brown color. The texture of the material also changes noticably.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

dparson those are amazing!! I really love that first one.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Aren't volcanoes cool? Much of central Nevada is volcanic geology and there are lots of neat spots with a jumble of cool rocks. I never did that much rock collecting before I came to Nevada because in most of the places I have lived the rocks are all covered up by plants. The desert vegetation sure makes it easier to spot the neat ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.