RI Flower Show

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi all,
We went to the flower show in Providence. Heard several great speakers. Ken Druse was a highlight! The show seemed more crowded may be since the Mass Hort show is on hold this year (except for the smaller display show they are having called Blooms!). Any one else go to the RI show - impressions?

I put a few photos in Picture Trail. See link below.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid21606638

Here are my thoughts on the show:
The theme for the RI Flower Show 2009 was "Gardens of the World". One returning display for the show was Sandtasia who sculpted statues and scenes from Ancient Egypt using sand. The sculptors are so talented it was amazing and captivating watching them work.

In addition to the show, we attended two talks: Secrets of the Garden Revealed! Planthropology: The Myths, Mysteries and Miracles of Our Garden Favorites by Ken Druse. One interesting note from his talk was how many designs in nature have mathematical models. Who knew Fibonacci numbers were so prevalent!

The second talk was Landscapes Around the World by Karen Beck. This talk highlighted visits to famous public gardens in Germany, Japan, and Madison, WI (Thai inspired public gardens).

Finally the theme for the judged portion of the show was "Around the World in 80 Days". I love to read the judges comments and see if I agree. Also in this section some house plants and bulbs are forced. You can often get some good ideas. See the last four photos in the album showing bulb supports and forcing paperwhites with stones.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I thought you were going to go and I was going to say I would go too! Oh well, looks like it was worth the trip - great pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice shots.... thanks for sharing

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

beautiful, thanks for sharing

South Hamilton, MA

Thank you for the pictures. Did the slide show to rest my weary typing fingers. I think you did a good job of covering different aspects of the show.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.