Winter Boredom part 13

Santa Ynez, CA

here is Kinkajou Shrew have a good sunday everyone>>>>>>

Thumbnail by makj
Santa Ynez, CA

how does everyone feel about an iris swap?????? is everyone over it...... my unknown beautiful Peach

Thumbnail by makj
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Love the idea.

Santa Ynez, CA

everyone who is interested, keep adding on, what do you think????

Cherryvale, KS

Ghost Train TB Schreiners I guess it would be fun if you can figure out a fair way to do it.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Santa Ynez, CA

I putting on my thinking cap......it could be a few days LOL I will think of some ideas and get back to you all on this thread.....any suggestions are welcomed....:) I just thought will all these wonderful iris out there ,and great people maybe we could come up with something fun...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would be into it -- but it would be a lot of work -- well maybe not that much for the person who distributes the names and tastes.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Count me in! Already in trouble, so a few more won't matter. I envy all of you with understanding spouses. Hubby hates my gardening, thinks I waste too much time, and said that I already have more than I can take care of, but I just can't help myself! It makes me so happy, the beauty of it all. Oh well, last year I didn't get to plant any. I guess it doesn't help that I also have a perennial garden take care of, plus the time I spend on the computer. Oh well, at least he knows where I am 24/7, since I work at home 40 hours a week with my job too. LOL!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 11:09 AM

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great photo, shadow. Doesn't DH have any hobbies? Maybe that's why he is jealous of your garden. Tell him to get a hobby of his own and leave you alone. Tell him you would turn into a wildly insane growling beast without gardening and he wouldn't want that.
I am lucky. My DH is an amateur actor and is often out at plays and rehearsals. He knows that he doesn't dare criticize me for gardening!

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL

"Tell him you would turn into a wildly insane growling beast without gardening and he wouldn't want that."

That's funny, ROFL!

Shadow

Color Me Blue

Thumbnail by Mshadow
South Hamilton, MA

DH turns into a growling beast if he doesn't have the garden so I am lucky--except that he is a better gardener than I am.

Cherryvale, KS

Gnu Rayz My husband spends so much on boy-toys, he doesn't care what I spend. My biggest problem is getting help in the yard!LOL Happy Monday my BIF's!!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Your All Crazy, Just Nuts. Why am I here? Oh HAHA

Santa Ynez, CA

My DH loves the iris, not the work, but will help, he spends a lot of time in his man's room, music is his thing, I tease him and say He would be happy in his man's room for days, would not see him if it weren't for the fact to eat.:)

YESTERDAY GOT MY SUPERSTITION CATALOG! Boy, am I in trouble. I better hurry up and send my order before the ones I want are all gone, since everyone already got their catalog before me.

Got outside to take a snow picture. Still between 12 and 18 inches of snow on the ground after the 8 inches we got the other day. Supposed to be another big storm coming Friday, but we will see. Hopefully they are wrong. Deer are out there all the time eating seeds dropped from the bird feeders. This was taken from my back door.

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I may not be able to swap much til next year.

Kansas City, MO

I would love to participate. I have an abundance of beauties. How would it be done? Would there be a wish list and what is offered in trade?

Irisawe

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're not ordering historics are you Shadow? If so, I better get my order in, too, LOL.

No historics. I love them, but not enough room. I am ordering a lot less TB this year because there are still some Siberians I would like to get, trying to cut down on the tall bearded, and a lot less funds than last year. The Siberians are so much easier to take care of, and they are so pretty. Polly, when is your website going to be up?

South Hamilton, MA

Possible order written on the back of the catalog--still can't see the ground on the iris beds. I also wait for the other catalogs, look for space priority. Trying to find types of iris I need, plus the club, I order the bearded for our auction in Aug. Will check with members at hybridizer's meeting this Sat. Yes, Polly, Marty & Jan order the beardless. Auction is club members & their friends only.

Santa Ynez, CA

here are some thoughts... one way is to have everyone that wants to be included, write down the say 4 irises they want to swap with, say I have Puccini, Rare find, Breakers, and concertina......one can look at those and say I want to swap with so and so, that could cause up roar....or plan two pick 4 iris that you want to swap nothing older than 10 years, and mix up the colors, not 2 blue ones etc... I write down a list of names, then all the names go into a hat and are drawn for each name going down the list.....does this sound crazy???? what are anyone's thoughts......

Santa Ynez, CA

and anyone interested can d-mail me to be on the list, when the list is complete, I will post that we are ready to draw names, and then do so.....I think one has to be willing to get a "surprise" swap.....this means no "getting rid of crap iris" this is "Iris I myself would like to get" type thing....I think we all know "good choice iris" does not have to be top $$$$$ iris, but something you would want yourself......just thinking......

Kansas City, MO

I think we could all submit wish lists of up to 10. Then we can see if we can match up with someone who has some of those available. Then negotiate from our own list of what is available from our own garden.

Irisawe

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Probably we should just say what we have to swap. I have hundreds of iris but most of them have only been in the ground 1 or 2 years so I don't have so much to swap. And we shouldn't do this until after they bloom in May or June because that is the right time for dividing iris. What do you all think?

Santa Ynez, CA

ok, then we each list 10 different iris that we are willing to swap???? then pick and choose from others???

Santa Ynez, CA

I agree no swap until July/August same time we all dig and divide.....pajar...do you think you would have 3 or four iris to swap????

Santa Ynez, CA

I am trying to think of the simple way.... less fuss, me there are A LOT of iris I would love to get/buy... I think we all feel that way...and lets face it if it is something we simply can not live without we buy it.... now sometimes you just have to say next year, the $$$ should be down....but I have gotten some really cool stuff that I did not buy, I ended up with one way or another and was really glad after I saw it bloom, however not everyone wants a surprise package....
so lets see if anyone wants to risk getting something they might like.....

Kansas City, MO

Well, in my case I have maybe 150-175 to swap but I am only interested in maybe 5 very specific ones. I would like to state the ones I want and see if someone wants some of mine. It makes sense to me that way in practical terms.

Does that make sense? With space limitations there are only a few I am interested in but there are alot to choose from that I already have if someone has some I want.

Irisawe

Santa Ynez, CA

we could try to do a list/swap....you put down the one's you want..... and the one's you want to swap...see if someone will make a match...if this doesn't work the people who want to do a surprise swap can do that.....what do you think/??

Kansas City, MO

Sounds good. Though to list alll that I am willing to swap would be lengthy. I could send it to someone in PDF form if they have some I am looking for. I would really like to know what someone wants first to see if I have some of what they are looking for.

Irisawe

Cherryvale, KS

Golly Gee Whiz Burseen Sounds like fun, but very confusing. If you can work it out-I'm in! Happy Tuesday BIF's!

Thumbnail by NickysIris

irisawe, I am looking for:

PAINTED PONY
DYNAMIC DUO
STEELER LITTLE
DIZZY LOVE
DOCTOR MOODY
CHOCOLATE TEMPTATION
COLOR SPREE
ELECTRIC ELF
POWER WOMAN
GYPSY BOY
HEINZ MUELLER
LILAC DELIGHT
OASIS MELODY
OLD SANTA FE
OASIS DO DA
SILENT SHADOW
REDPIPER
QUAIL HOLLOW
PASTEL RIBBONS
VAMPIRE'S KISS
WILL
ZEBEDEE

If you have any of those let me know.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't have a single one of those. It may be more important for makj to know what each of us has than what each of us wants. Also, maybe we should Dmail makj to tell her both so she can do the matching on her own. She doesn't need to have people telling her who they want as a secret partner. It is supposed to be a secret!
The person who was my secret partner last time gave me really good stuff, but I would not have had the sense to ask for any of it.

Santa Ynez, CA

yes I agree, send me your thoughts, iris to my dmail.....I could match what I can....if it seems like that won't work I can figure something else out, we all have hundreds of iris, but think of the really cool special ones, unusual whatever and choose some of those, otherwise it could go forever, cause we all have a lot of iris and it could take some time....
getting back to the original idea.......a surprise swap.....don't you think there might be things you would be crazy about that you didn't know...as pajar said her she has hundreds or more iris and not one that cat wants....there are a lot of iris out there, I would not mind a "surprise" one of two

I have too many to list, like irisawe.

Santa Ynez, CA

thats why I was thinking, think of 3-4 you can part with, and list those...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And it should be okay to say -- blue iris or SDB's or medians or Tall Bearded or arilbreds or historics. That would make it easier for makj to match you up. You might add SDB or TB or IB if you know of a certain type of iris you want and the same for the ones you have. Then poor Makj won't have to look it up in order to match Double Your Fun with someone who wants IB's or Bling with someone who wants SDB's.
I thought it was fun last year and look forward to this year's secret iris exchange. Thanks Makj for offering to be in charge.

Santa Ynez, CA

we will give it a shot and see what happens, people start sending your iris list...those who are on the fence, it is your call if you want to do this, if you think it is too crazy or don't want in that is fine too.....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Shadow, my website is up. The site is listed on my home page. Thanks for asking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.