Philly Flower Show, anyone going?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We were chatting a big at the end of the swap party today, and I wanted to see if people were planning to go to the Philadelphia Flower Show... thought if you were going on a certain day, you might be able to arrange to meet up with other DGers there.

Here's the link to the show site: http://www.theflowershow.com/home/index.html

The show starts next week Sunday and runs through the following weekend (March 1-8). This year's theme is "Belle Italia!"

Aspenthomas and I are planning to drive up on Wednesday, and I think Becky (Bec_no_va) and her friend might try to join us also. Is anybody else thinking of going on Wednesday? Post and let us know! We'll make sure to exchange cell phone numbers and/or set up a meeting time so we can cruise the blooms together. :-)

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 9:40 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Actually, the dates of the Phila. Flower Show are 3/1 - 3/8.

I may go up the 2nd wknd - have to play it by ear.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, still fried from a fun but busy day... I corrected the month in the date above. Thanks.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Critter, tomorrow isn't March 1st :))) we still have a week lol. Sounds like you had a nice day today. I thought of you all as I planted a few ws containers that included the chocolate daisy seeds.

I'm planning on Friday the 6th for the Phila. Flower Show.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

belle Italia--oooh... We'll see what's up next week. This Wed. is my son getting wisdom teeth out.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFL, I have no idea how I messed that up... Is there any way I can blame DH's kooky schedule?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry I can't make it this year but I will watch this thread for news & pictures. Have a great time. I've been there 3 times now and it is so awesome.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, I think I've got it right now. Sheesh. Got a migraine driving into the sun on the (short) trip home from the swap party, so I'm a bit discomglobulated.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, Holly and I are probably going on Wednesday, the displays are usually still in good shape and the crowd gets thinner as the day goes on. The Reading Terminal, just across the street has a bunch of great little food places, (think inner harbor) for lunch. I believe there maybe a walk over to get there too. Ric

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sounds like maybe we should meet up & go over there for lunch, then cruise blooms together? Unless we leave quite early, I'm not sure we'll get there much before noon... it runs until 9:30 pm, so I think we'll have enough time LOL

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

They have a place over there in reading terminal where you serve yourself whatever they have and they weigh it & you pay for it by weight. Lots of great salads.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I haven't been to the Reading Terminal Market in years, but it looks even better than back in the old days.

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohoo! Note extended hours and "Taste of Philly Food Tour" during the flower show.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Is anybody else planning to go to the show on Wednesday? Terri (aspenthomas) and I are going up together. We may not get there until nearly 1 pm, so I was thinking maybe whoever was going could meet up at 2 for a late lunch, then we'd continue on with the show. After 4 the crowd is supposed to thin out a bit.

Holly, I'm Dmailing you now with my cell phone #. :-)

Have a good time ^_^ and a safe trip. I'm looking forward to going, but can't go on Wednesday.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tip on the Reading Terminal, I've always just stayed in the area of the show and eaten in the food court. Very limited fast food choices.

Sorry to miss everyone I'll be there today, Tuesday with my local garden club.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We'll need a report! Somebody should start a photo thread for the show. :-)

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I was there on Sunday. It was a visual feast. Just one of the photos below. Snug

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, lovely!

Please start a photo thread for us!

Also, I'm wondering if you remember any particular exhibit that was near the entrance to the show and would make a good rendezvous point... ?

I know we could just meet at the main entrance, but it would be more fun to look at amaryllises or something while waiting. :-)

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter, the entrance we used was near wheel chair booth, at that point of entry, you will be facing the exhibit in the photo below, however, I would meet near the Rock Garden Society exhibit. It has many small-scale gardens that are very creative and hold your interest longer while waiting. The rock garden exhibit is located at the left of the entrance indicated above and located closer to the front of the room--that is, you would make an immediate left at the entrance. There will be lots of people giving out brochures that will display a floorplan as to where the booths/exhibits are located. Hope this helps. Snug :o)

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

An example of the Rock Garden Exhibit:

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

If you want "you can't miss it" landmark, the lady with the head of pink feathers is certainly a spot that no one could misinterpret. This exhibit is located toward the back--walking straight past the columns you see in the photo above.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! The Rock Garden Society exhibit it is, then. :-)

We'll be meeting Holly & Ric there at 2:30. Anybody else who might be there on Wednesday, please feel free to join us! (Dmail me for my cell phone # if you'd like.) We're thinking in terms of grabbing a bite to eat and then going through the "big" exhibits when they're less crowded.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll be thinking about you guys while I'm at work. Jill, looking forward to seeing pictures tomorrow if you're still free before I go to italian class ^_^

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Have fun! Will be looking for pictures. Ron and I are doing our usual Friday visit to the show, staying over and coming back on Saturday morning. This year it's a warm up for Chelsea in May except that I can buy at Philadelphia but not so much at Chelsea -- customs takes a real dim view of that, sometimes you can't even get seeds in so not much use to try. . . .

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OH gosh did we have a fabulous day! If I start downloading photos at this hour, I'll be up all night, but I promise, I took lots of pictures! (Terry was very patient while I snapped away, LOL... had to try for multiple shots sometimes to try to get a focused one with the low light in some areas, but I'm crossing my fingers that I got a clear shot in there somewhere.)

Miata, I'm looking forward to seeing you -- some time after 4?

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll be there. I'll be bringing your coleus cuttings too :)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh you fortunate ones to be able to go and see the feast of flowers. Please post a link to all the wonderful photos. We had wanted to go, but Steve was not up to it, so will just thrive on what others have seen.
Candee

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry Steve wasn't having a good enough day to go.

We REALLY missed Holly and Ric -- Ric was just finally over the 'flu, and Holly started coming down with it yesterday morning. :-( I'm crossing my fingers that she was able to rest up yesterday and throw it off so they could go today!

If you're going, definitely try to be there in the evening. The crowds really thin out after 3 or 4. We hit up a random bunch of exhibits before taking a late lunch break, then did some shopping in the vendor aisles in Hall C, and by the time we got back it was really pleasant to wander around the exhibits we'd not yet seen.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, so what did you bring back? We are dying to hear.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm downloading 425 photos now... even allowing for blurry shots & label (plant name) photos, that's a lot to go through! :-)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow that's a lot of pics. I wish I could have made it.

425 photos!!!!!!! I guess I don't have to bring my camera tomorrow hehehe

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes you do! I got a lot of blurry shots... Miata just sat through them; she'll tell you! There are also a lot of sequences like 1. plant, 2. closeup of the bloom, hmm, looks blurry, 3. another closeup, is it blurry too? 4. one more shot, might be OK, and 5. photo of the tag so I don't have to rely on my memory for ID.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter and I had a great time. I brought back a couple of ideas and a couple of odds and ends from the vendor hall. I got an african violet 'frozen in time'. I've only ever had a few houseplants, so this is another area that DG is expanding my interests! I also got a cute little bunny figurine to tuck under a hosta, and Critter got a cute little frog from the same vendor. I didn't take as many pictures as critter, but I'm starting to go thru the ones I did take LOL. I'll post a few of my favorites when I get a chance... Terri

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh please post them. We are dying to see them. Did you see Dragon Agro's booth there? He is from the Phillipines & has some really neat plants. Also expensive and some of them are very rare.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Posted a couple dozen images here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/959798/#new

That's a start, anyway!

:-)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a great time! Enjoyed the photos and will be waiting for more - 425, yikes!!! Any chance you got a picture of your frog? I'm always adding to my collection and it might be one I have to look for :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't taken photos of the goodies I brought home yet... but there's time! I actually picked up a toad, but they also had a nice fat frog... both fairly realistic. I'm sorry I didn't remember you collected them! The little concrete birds they had looked familiar... I'm thinking there's a chance that the nursery out rt. 40 from us (Stonybrook? Miata knows it) carries those, and maybe the frogs too.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Speaking of hypertufa workshops:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/959834/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.