Yesterday....

Keaau, HI

Mai'a is Hawaiian for Banana, Musa x paradisiaca. Mai'a is one food source that Hawaiians commonly had; it was cultivated in wet to dry environments.

Most Hawaiian bananas are cooking types, including this variegated cultivar known as 'Ko'a'e', meaning "striped". It is a sport from Mai'a 'Maoli', the traditional cooking banana of Old Hawai'i; the World's most nutritious banana!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

Here is a new Spring shoot of 'Uhi the Hawaiian Yam, Dioscorea alata. 'Uhi was a secondary food source, cultivated on the edges of argricultural field systems.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It is impossible to get a local to mill or even cut down an 'Ulu tree...considered really bad mana!!!!

Dave...we lost a couple of our Ko'a'e this winter due to the cold. How did yours do?

Keaau, HI

To get to Hawai'i, you have to float or fly. That goes for all creatures!

There are several other Canoe Plants of the Hawaiians. As they become photographable they'll be posted here. Hope you arrive on the Island soon!

Aloha, Dave

Keaau, HI

Hi Carol! In our winter, all of my bananas slow down. They also get very vulnerable to the Banana Weevil. A black bug that burrows through the roots / rhizome. Most established banana patches here get them. To keep your banana patches healthy, you may need to propagate and renew the plantings every several years.
If these critters are responsible, you will see tunnels through the root clump / rhizome; the bugs are about an inch long with a curved snout.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

good thing your prodigy is staying warm in another state!

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Keaau, HI

Good going Randy! It is a very rare cultivar!

el arish, FNQ, Australia

In the meantime the California Academy of Science contacted me (I must be on some list????)
That list :).
Awesome stuff Dave, I'm supposed to be just getting my hat as I'm on the clock digging ag pipe trenches. Oh the joy! Will post a bigger thingie later. Ann

Dave, I really am thankful that you add your knowledge to this site. I am just now viewing this thread and I would like to add as well......YOU ARE A TROOPER and a tremendous person!

Maybe one day we will meet in person.

Rachel

Keaau, HI

The Hawaiians called this Mai'a 'Oa, Musa acuminata; this plant is used to make hybrid varieties of bananas. In Old Hawai'i it was also a sacramental plant.

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I agree with Rachel, this is fascinating Dave. I'm overwhelmed with your knowledge and so happy you share it.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Dave, is the Musa acuminata different from Musa zebrina? They are so similar (in the leaf)....

Keaau, HI

Musa acuminata & Musa zebrina are synonyms! M. zebrina is a modern term for the plant in the landscaping industry.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

So much knowledge on this thread, I learn so much here. Thank you, Dave, Carol and everyone.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Soaking up all the info and pictures here too, and learning a lot - now if I can only retain it! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.