Well, Phil was right!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Lake effect snow today, I stayed home from work due to the driving conditions, just getting to old to deal with it.
Look out side one minute and it looked like this.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Looked again and it was like this.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, yes he sure was right...we don't have anything like that but the wind picked up and it is COLD!!!! out there.

It is cold here too. Blowing and drifting snow, rained before this so ice is underneath the white stuff. I don't remember when it has been below freezing for so long. Not many days above 32º.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

BRRRRR
Well, if you have to be cold, at least you are inside and warm and have a pretty view. It's amazing this time of year to look at a summer picture and see how GREEN everything is.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ever consider moving?

Jen LOL. Easier said then done, lived here 37 years, have 37 years of junk and going on 60 years old. Maybe when we finally retire and have nothing up here to do.
Sally I love looking at my summer pictures

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I posted about Eliot's line about April being the cruelest month in the Wasteland in another thread. Here's the full section. Warm snow, cruel April are interesting counterpoints.

The Burial of the Dead
by T. S. Eliot
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.
Bin gar keine Russin, stamm' aus Litauen, echt deutsch.[1]
And when we were children, staying at the archduke's,
My cousin's, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.

What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,[2]
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,[3]
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only
There is shadow under this red rock,
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Frisch weht der Wind
Der Heimat zu
Mein Irisch Kind,
Wo weilest du?[4]
“You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
They called me the hyacinth girl.”
—Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence.
Od'[5] und leer das Meer.[6]

[1] I am not Russian; I come from Lithuania, I'm German. (Infoplease Editors)

[2] Cf. Ezekiel 2:1.

[3] Cf. Ecclesiastes 12:5.

[4] Fresh blows the wind / To the homeland / My Irish darling / Where do you linger? (Infoplease Editors)

V. Tristan und Isolde, i, verses 5-8.

[In this opening scene, a ship sails from Ireland to Cornwall carrying Isolde, accompanied by Tristan, to meet her betrothed, King Mark. A young sailor sings a melancholy song about a woman left behind. Later a magic potion is drunk by both Tristan and Isolde and they fall deeply in love. (Infoplease Editors)

[5] Od'→Oed' (Editor).

[6] Desolate and empty the sea (Infoplease Editors)

Id. iii, verse 24.

[In act 2 Tristan is mortally wounded and leaves Cornwall for his castle in Brittany, where, in act 3, a musical conversation takes place as he waits for Isolde to come to heal him. A shepherd is asked to look for Isolde's ship and this is his reply

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 1:16 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi ladygardener...........When the lake froze over I thought the lake effect snow was mostly finished for the year. Then last weeks thaw opened it back up. February is almost behind us though and spring is coming.

Photo........I was returning home from work Thurs. afternoon and passed this Amish girl who was most likely heading home from her job. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "tough commute".

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Hi Early, That was a quick lake thaw last week, surprised some ice fishermen in Toledo too. I just wish the temp would start creeping up more, it seems to be staying colder longer this year.
She is lucky her church elders permits bikes, they didn't for a long time. When that Amish man moved into your area that repairs bikes I guess they relaxed the rules. That is a great photo, by the way.

Crozet, VA

Hello, I agree, that is a great photo. Thanks for sharing it.

I am sitting here this morning watching the white stuff falling steadily to the ground. They are large flakes though and I have heard that they don't accumulate the way that small flakes do. I actually feel a bit cheated in terms of snow this year. We have only had a couple and they were very shallow and didn't stay around too long.

I love to look at snow but hate the traveling issues that come along with it. I cannot imagine living in an area like some of you folks do where it snows often. I would be singing another tune then.

I am trying to do a bit of catching up on the Mid Atlantic Gardening forum. I have been away for a good while and truly need to be more involved here. Each time that I see a person's name, I smile with memories of some of our get togethers.

I am looking forward to seeing you LadyG in May at Holly's. It will be lots of fun and I can't wait to see her place because some of her pictures of her yarden are very interesting.

I hope that this will be a good day for all.

Ruby

Well, Hello Ruby! Maybe we need to do a house swap in the winter LOL. It snowed again last night, not a lot but it was really coming down when I went to bed. The radar shows more coming this way today right along the Lake shore. We are going from sunshine to snow right now.

I am also looking forward to Holly's Swap, I hope to have some nice plants to share. It will be a busy time, I have the bus trip to Amish, Holmes County the weekend before. And my seed starting endevors will be at it's peek, lots of seedling to look after.

I want to start some Fuchsia seeds today, and get my geranium plants in pots that have been hanging in the basement. I order more seed starting mix today, it is on back order till Friday, but I have enough in the basement that I ordered last fall when Gardeners Supply had their free shipping offer.

Early, stay warm, it's been a cold winter this season.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Lady, They were calling for snow here today, but so far it rained and now it's bright and sunny! I bet you're really tired of it. Spring will get here. When you named your thread after Phil, it reminded me of your GH bite story.

Early, that is really a great photo. Imagine her trying to watch out for aggressive drivers in those conditions.

Hi Storm, The sun can come out and stay out any time now and melt the white stuff, I'm up for that for sure. You remember that story! that was quit a while that I posted it, people don't consider GH as aggressive but any wild animal can turn at any time.

We have had some buggy verses car accidents in our area, I am always careful when driving in their area. I wished I had a camera the day I saw a group of young Amish men ( no beards- so not married) on line skates going down the road. Early, they were on 6 N near the ice cream stand on Cherry Hill, there was about 12 to 15 of them.

Crozet, VA

That would have been a great photo too Chris. I just learned something new. I didn't know about the beards meaning the men were married. Very interesting. I love hearing tidbits about other cultures. Thanks for sharing.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.