FIELD OF DREAMS (for the hibiscus lover)

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone,

Today was the day that I decided to take a trip to see my friends the DuPont’s on Bayou Plaquemine in Louisiana. We left at 6:30 am. It's a long drive for us and taking in the sites of the blue roof’s and seeing remnants of hurricane’s Ike and Gustav were still unsettling. We arrived at about 10:30 or so. Robert met us in the driveway with a warm welcome as usual. We then walked to the hibiscus house to see Grandpa (Bobby) which I can say it is always a pleasure to talk with. As we walked into the opened doors there it was, A TRUE FIELD OF DREAMS. Breathtaking!!! I felt like a kid in a candy store!!! Colors beyond any imagination! Baskets blooming away! Huge single blooms the size of dinner plates. Doubles that were Huge and Beautiful. We got to see beautiful new seedlings as well as unbelievable blooms from many of my favorites. I just wanted to share some with you.

The first picture is when you walk in and look to the right.

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

When you look to the left.

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

I am just going to post pics. Most are seedlings and some are my favorites.

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

#12 Night Runner

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

#14 This was 10 to 11"

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

#15 Saffron Moon
Huge Double Yellow

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

#16 Funny Voodoo (off center) LOL

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

#19 Powder Puff

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a bunch more but this is the last for now. It is a combination of "Hanging Gardens" in the tree form and "Mon Ami" in the base of the huge pot. I have to say I broke my vow not to get any hibbies this year ;-) It's a sign of a true ADDICT LOL

Enjoy,
Robert

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Dallas, TX

Robert, Do they have a web-site? Or a catalog? How can we get to buy from them? Thanks. Jerry

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

yes Jerry
http://www.dupontnursery.com/ProductCategory.aspx?pcid=%206

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Jerry,
They sell 4" pots on their webstore only and ship them. They are a wholesale nursery. Gallons are available as well in their area at garden centers and other growers on the web. Beware of others that are brokers that deal in liners or so called 4" pots and have never seen a bloom and in their life. The Duponts are awesome as well as their plants. Their hibiscus site is http://www.dupontnursery.com/ProductCategory.aspx?pcid=%206 They have some beauties.

Robert

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks DMJ
You beat me to it. I'm exhausted and now crosseyed LOL

Dallas, TX

Dmj1218, Robert, Thanks for the link. I will be buying from them very soon!!!! Wish some of the stores were closer to me so i could get the gal. size plants. Thanks. Jerry

I put an order in with them last week--they ship very fast an it arrived this afternoon. Great plants too.
Debbie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Be still my heart! # 17 is calling my name, OMG, what awesome flowers. # 6 is pretty cool too.

Lindenhurst, NY

Wow are they gorgeous. What a great place to visit.

That double yellow looks a lot more impressive in your "in person" shot--I like doubles.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for sharing pics Robert--that truly is a field of dreams! I love some of the new seedlings, I hope they decide at least some of them are "market worthy"

Dallas, TX

Debbie, Sounds great, I'am sold! The hardest part will be to choose which ones to get! Jerry

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Debbie,

It is one of their newbies and a beauty in person. My daughter took the camera and decided to go off and get lost LOL She took a few. It's like a jungle and she is short LOL We had to play Marco Polo in the hibiscus for a while to find each other.

Robert

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Jerry,
It's simple.
ALL OF THEM (LOL)

Robert

Dallas, TX

Robert, YOUR RIGHT about that!!! Jerry

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Liz,

They are evaluating soooo many. The bushes on many are as beautiful as the blooms!!! That's what they are looking for. I think many should make it. Grandpa (bobby) is picky which is a good thing. Unfortunately some will probably be dropped and when that day comes I hope to be there with my truck LOL I'd gladly load them LOL

Robert

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.