How Do You Support Vegetable Plants?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

This is season two for me, and I'm planning on growing lots of vigorous plants that will need extra support. Please use this thread to share your ideas on this subject, along with pictures. (I love pictures!)

Last year I put four bamboo stakes in the ground and wired them together at the top. Planted - I think it was three, maybe four - cucumber plants at the bottom. Zinnias next to it on a whim. But it might've helped attract the bees, which is a good thing. I liked doing the cucumbers like that because it looks cool, works well in a smaller space, and it lets the plants air out. I got powdery mildew anyway, but the cucumbers were lovely.

Other DGers are talking about bamboo A frames and tripods, some with top support. (We love bamboo!) I'll leave it to them to explain their methods in this thread.

Feel free to chime in on how your support or trellis any vegetables.

Thumbnail by dividedsky
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I use a tripod method for my tomatoes; this is how they look although the photo was actually taken in the south of France where most people seemed to use this technique:

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal
Clarkson, KY

How economical are these to get? I'd love something durable that's not $5 a stick...

I bought 50 8' bamboo poles for $59 from Gardener's Edge, paying $10 extra for shipping. That was the best price I saw and the poles are nice and heavy. I also raided a friend's bamboo patch and got a bunch of them that way, too, although many of those aren't as stout. Still, they work well for cross-pieces.

I don't know how durable these are. I pulled mine up as soon as I was finished with my tomatoes and pole beans and stored them in the barn. I should think they'd last awhile if you don't leave them out unnecessarily.

Leslie

Trying to remember the price on the pack of ten I saw in the garden store this weekend. I think it was around $5 for ten, 7-foot poles. You shouldn't have to pay much more than $1 a piece, if that. And the ones I had seemed skinny, but I found them to be really durable.

Clarkson, KY

That's much less than I was afraid of! Thank you! I'm planning on putting out fence sections for my pole beans, but the tomatoes and cukes will need their own sumpin' sumpin'. Do you know where I can find a friend with a bamboo patch?lol

Clarkson, KY

Well maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots then...I need longer stake for my tomatoes and their friends the cukes would benefit as well...'sides -it's pretty!!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Just drive around and then make map of locations then go back after dark oops
um drive around and locate then knock on door and ask if you may have some preferable free

Clarkson, KY

Shoot. Had we had this conversation yesterday...the parentals are driving thru Mo on rt60 even as we speak...coulda snuck into YOUR bamboo...or at least gotten the local poop, I mean scoop!!lol.

Do we have bamboo in KY?!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I am not far off 60 they should have at least waved.

OK, I'll do tomatoes today, because that's what Podster really wanted.
This is not rocket science.
If you can stake a dahlia, a cosmos or any floppy flower; if you can put a name tag anywhere in your garden for anything (you know, even one of those poorly fired pottery stakes saying "Parsley" that your sister-in-law gave you) you can stake tomatoes.

A million ways to do it. Here is how I do it.
You'll need:
A tomato plant
A 1-2 litre (and I'm sorry, but I can't do the US conversion) water or juice bottle, with the cap removed and the bottom cut off.
A tomato stake : I use pieces of bamboo from my own or my neighbour's garden; all our local garden shops sell bamboo tomato stakes; these are about 1" diameter. Other options seen all over here are 1"X1"s; or metal kind of "corkscrew" posts. In any case, since we are dealing with indeterminate tomatoes here, they should be about 6'/2m long.

Get a tomato plant.
Take it to the garden.
Dig a really deep hole (I say that because I raise all my own tomato plants indoors, altho I am going to try a few WS this year for comparison/contrast).
You want that hole to be deep enough that you can bury that poor tomato plant clear up to its ears.
Well, at least up to just below its last set of leaves.
Why?
Well, tomatoes can (and do) grow rootlets all along their stems. More roots, healthier/stronger plants.
Put that plant in the ground so that its top leaves will just stick out nicely aboveground when you fill in the hole.
Put a little bit of dirt in the hole to stabilize the plant.
Just beside it, place the bottle, top down
On the north or east side (or whatever works), stab the tomato stake into the ground.
Fill in the hole.

As the season progresses, the water bottle allows you to water each tomato plant with a watering can or your hose, sending water directly to the roots and not watering the leaves and/or spreading disease.

Also, as the season progresses, you both prune and stake your tomatoes.

First of all, mercilessly and without any kindness whatsoever, cut off any "new shoots: that pop out of the soil beside your real plant. You buried it deep, remember? And, in some cases, this means you'll get "shoots" as well as roots. Kill them!

Watch your lovely plant. Every time it grows a leaf, it has an equal tendency to grow a new stem in the place where the leaf intersects with the Main Stem. (This is different from "fruit stems", where the tomatoes grow and which appear ON THE MAIN STEM in between leaves).
Anyway, PINCH OUT these extra stems! We want all energy to go to fruit, not to vines!

As it grows, tie it to the stake as is necessary to keep it from folding over. I always tie just below each fruit bunch, as a minimum. If you have grown tomatoes before, you'll know what I mean. If not, trust me, you will very quickly learn and, if you don't, you'll stick to flowers!

When it gets to the top of the stake, just let it go (altho I would continue to pinch out the lateral stems).

A bit extensive, but as I understand tomato culture, staking and pruning go together.
I suspect that you can prune tomatoes without staking them, just as one prunes melons and squash; but i would not think that you would stake tomatoes without pruning them.
On the other hand, I would guess that you could let tomatoes run rampant without staking,
In fact, I have never done that.

Clarkson, KY

I have let them run rampant... they produce well still, but finding your maters in time is hard!!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Terrific tutorial!

Clarkson, KY

{snort!} Yes. I should have thanked you and said how much I needed it instead of merely confessing my inadequacies!! It was MUCH appreciated, Jim!!

you guys are fast!!!

I'm so slow.

Before I had my own bamboo grove and access to a neighbour's, I bought bamboo.
Don't you all have Pier 1 or 7 or some number nearby?
I bought about 5 years' worth of tomato stakes for about 50cents a piece at Pier 1 here for about 25% of what they would have cost me at the garden stores, because there the same bamboo stakes were being sold for "indoor decor"!

Clarkson, KY

Now there's an idee!! Jim -I'm home with a cold and can't move without sneezing or coughing so I'm VERY fast -today anyhow!!

What have I now missed, grownut?
I think we're cool.
OK?

Clarkson, KY

Yes! I may have missed something. Excited about the Pier 1 idea and guilty of being at the computer all day long because anywhere else makes me sneeze!! -Kelly

If I get "BINGO" here,
I get all your property and
your first-born child

Clarkson, KY

!?! Did we shake on it? (!!!)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm a bamboozler too. Just another comment on longevity of bamboo stakes. Mine are going into their 7th year and still going strong. I store them in the shed/greenhouse over winter.

That was my explication of what I do with tomatoes.
greenhouse gal has other ideas : I've never seen her tripods, for example.
There are SO MANY ways to do what we do.
That's why it's always fun.
I am 60 years old.
Most of what I do, I learned from my Dad
But I have seeds from "kids" who are trying to make the good stuff better;
And I have ideas from everyone here and from a whole bunch of other places

We just feed one another.
And the whol;e world benefits

I found this http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/cucumber-fort/index.html and I'm super excited about it.

Clarkson, KY

Alas----(siiigh)---I didn't get anything much in the way of hand-me-down gardening knowledge. But I did get to watch my grandmother guild topsoil out of sand. She lived beachside and would walk every day and gather seaweed to compost in her garden. By the time she passed away at age 97 she had 4 inches of topsoil. And huge trees. The land was created in a hurricane so I call it a feat to have built it up like that!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

How to Support Tomato Plants (by Suze):
http://www.settfest.com/2009/01/support-your-plants/

So, you see?
Sometimes I wonder why I spend the time
It's all on the Internet, huh, feldon30

Meanwhile, where is podstter?

Clarkson, KY

Ohh Pooooddsssteeeerrr....

BTW.
WHO IS feldon30?
Has he.she been any part of prvious discussions?

Clarkson, KY

Seen him around. (I think him) Can't say where, but relatively frequently...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I see him/her on the Tomato Forum.

Clarkson, KY

Those mater hounds....lol!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I am getting to be a frequent poster here on DG. Hopefully my posts have been helpful to others here.

I just found that rather than re-post a lengthy well-written article on supporting vegetable plants, I would point a link to my website. The article was written by Suze, co-organizer of the South East Texas Tomato Festival.

I abhor spam and hope that my post was not viewed as such.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 4:48 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I certainly didn't think that feldon30. Thanks for posting the great article.

Clarkson, KY

Notabitofit!! Keep posting!! (well I do it madly so certainly I'm hoping others do the same -protective covering you know!!)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the thread and the input... regarding where podster has been? Earning pet food and seed money. Sorry no cold here and please don't sneeze my direction, I NEED to be at work. LOL

Yes, it may sound shallow but I found y'alls staking "bamboo'zling discussion very interesting and am sure there will be questions that pop up from me as well as others. I agree on the photos or schematics as being descriptive. Please post those too.

And Potagere I appreciate the blow by blow tomato info. Interesting about the water funnel to put the moisture directly to the roots. Thanks for that suggestion. I have also heard to never allow leaves to grow below the first fruits on the tomato plant ~ true? or false?

I was interested as I have staked out a patch of wild bamboo. I intend to harvest some and have noticed the patch is already being raided, either by gardeners or fishermen.

I wonder, when given the option, what diameter bamboo I need to harvest? And someone please, offer suggestions for tying it off?

And, did I thank y'all for the thread and the link to get here? 8 ))))) pod

pod, I just measured the bamboo that I used for the cucumbers (and cosmos), and it's less than half an inch in diameter and pretty sturdy.

I'm no expert, but as far as tying it together, you can wrap some thin wire around the bamboo where it meets. For tying the plants to the support, you can use regular household string - or hemp if you wanna be all hippie about it. You'll know where on the plant to tie it because you'll hear the plant go Oooooh! Thank you! when you lift the heavy top part and take the weight off.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Indy you're goooood. Mine say oooo too. I use old panty hose as ties because it breaths and drys fast.

Podster, when raiding my friend's bamboo grove I went for the thickest stalks I could find. I don't know that they were more than about an inch in diameter even so. Of course I ended up with some that were thinner, but when I did tripods for my tomatoes I used at least one, preferably two, thick ones. We brought them together at the top and tied them off with baling twine; any twine would do. And then we stabilized them by running poles from top to top and tying all of that together. Another thing I did was to hang my labels from one of the horizontal poles. I had six of each tomato variety, so for each pair of tripods I had one label, facing the entrance to the garden.

I have also used tripods for pole beans, but the last time I did it the beans didn't want to climb and I kept having to retrain them. Must have been the variety - I think they were Fortex or Violettos. When my kids were little they used to love to play in the bean teepees, though. This past year I just did the crisscross twine from an upper horizontal bamboo pole to a lower one, and that seemed to support the beans well.

Leslie

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Good info ~ thanks. As this bamboo is tall, I guess I can whack off what I can't use. Someone please tell me it won't take root? LOL

Dahlianut ~ I have to disagree with you... I have NEVER heard anything go "oooo" with pantyhose on! GRrrrrr! I doubt I even own any and would have to go buy some for a funeral or wedding. I am sure that would be good to tie with. I suspect tying with metal in the south would fry the plants where it touches. Wiring the bamboo with metal would be ideal tho.

The bamboo certainly appeals to my aesthetic sense more than the metal tomato cages or twirly metal stakes. Now if I really wanted to appeal to the hippie in me, I would tie them off with grapevines or wisteria vines or...

Clarkson, KY

Now yer talkin'!! How may years has it been since I owned any pantyhose?! Keep wondering about you pantyhose tie advocates?! The stuff must be vintage?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.