Pruning semi-dwarf cherry

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

My cherry is about 8-9 years old, a Stella. It's gotten too tall for me. Does anyone have a photo of a well-pruned semi-dwarf cherry? I've found some verbal descriptions of what to do on the internet, but I'd do better with a photo or drawing.

Anna, IL

My semi dwarf cherry trees may not be well pruned but they produce well and are managable. I was having so much bird damage that I wanted to be able to net them plus I am not able to climb anymore so I just cut off anything that was taller than I could reach with a pr. of loppers. Other than that I just cut out damaged and crossing limbs. I had the best crop ever last yr. In my limited experience(8 yrs. & 50 to 75 trees of various kinds) heavy pruning does not hurt them at all. Go to Dave Wilson nursery website and he has some great tips and pictures of heavily pruned trees.
RED

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I did the same thing with my tree - cursing the while whoever used the term "dwarf" in connection with that tree, semi or no semi, that is no dwarf! I topped it and cut back the longer branches. No use having cherries on a tree if you can't reach them.

Unfortunately, it hasn't ever borne well, before or after pruning. I'm hoping this year that a little cross-pollination will make a difference.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.