Companion Planting Wanabees

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's a new thread in the Herbs forum about companion issues with Dill, Fennel, and Caraway:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/975297/

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

thanks for the link

North, TX

Better late than never I guess. Good information and resources here;

hastur, I really like that ghorganics link, for companion planting and products. Have you ordered any of their products?

Oh, and I just went over to the herb forum link, interesting about dill Kylaluaz. I'm going back over there. I have planted two kinds of dill and both are in containers right now. One is in the front and one is in the backyard, although I wasn't consciously thinking about them crossing. 1/4 mile apart is a long way!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes it is! I am not going to worry about saving dill seed though, so I am not caring about it much. ;-)

North, TX

I guess if I do save any dill seeds it will be for culinary uses.

I have tried growing dill with carrots twice now. the first time, the carrots were very pitiful. Then I read that planting dill near carrots, will retard the growth of carrots. So... I tried again planting them directly next to each other just to see. It wasn't looking very promising for the carrots but, they started to grow when they should have been ready for harvest. Although the carrots took much longer than the noted days to harvest, probably twice as long, they looked perfect and were very sweet and delish. The dill is doing very well. Not sure what that means but probably won't plant them together again.

Houston, TX

Allwild: Not yet. I just happened to bookmark it because it's brilliant in its simplicity. I like simple.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, I got lost! Which link is the brilliant simple one, please? LOL! ghorganics? Would someone be so kind as to repost that URL? Thank you muchly..... ;-)

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

I have a question about what to plant in the areas where I planted tomaotes and peppers last year, what should be grown there this year? Do i dare grow more tomatoes and peppers in the same spot this year? also, does anyone have a good companion plant or herb to grow next to pumpkins?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I never plant the same vegetable in the same place - I always rotate.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

That's a sound practice I suspect! But I can also say from experience that, if your soil is rich enough and you are adding compost regularly, you can plant tomatoes in the same spot just fine. I've done it many times. Not that experienced with peppers though...... and of course there may be other issues than soil fertility, such as any disease organisms in the soil, but frankly I do believe compost takes care of a lot of that. My understanding about the rule not to plant toms in the same spot has more to do with soil fertility than anything else.

my 2 cents this gorgeous spring morning. ;-)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My neighbor used to plant tomatoes in the same place every year and all she ever did was add composted manure. She never had a probelm so I agree with you. I rotate because everything I've read, says to do this. This is the first year I did raised beds for the veggie garden so I'm thinking I might be able to get away with refreshing the mix in the containers beds next year. The flower gardens have taken over so much I don't have anywhere else to plant veggies except in the lawn in raised beds.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I raised tomatoes in the same place once for several years in a row, because the poles were already in the ground and it made it so easy, but the final year the tomatoes did very poorly; it looked like I had lots of fungi and viruses. However, southern NJ is very humid and it's a great place for anything damp and moldy, so that probably contributed to the disease problem. Since I've started rotating, my plants are much healthier and I get great yields.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.