Nelly at WallyWorld - question

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm pretty sure it's not the clippers b/c I always spray mine with an anti-fungal.
I have had these indoors b/c they are so small as shown here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6141691

None of the other clems or roses I have been working with has this except for the warsaw nike. I'm thinking it's just this one particular plant. (I hope anyway)

I think I may just take it back to lowe's and order a good one from silverstar.

Delaware, OH

it is inside? can you quarantine it? wash it with fungicide,prune it back and see what happens.
sounds like you have the basics of clipper hygiene covered.

get it away from your others inside?

could it be insect spittle vs mildew?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Yes, it is inside, in a different room from all other plants.

I have no idea what spittle is but alls I can tell you is that it's white powery looking.
hang on.... I'll post a pic

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

this is the bottom, but it is on the top too.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

this is actually the jackmanii - not the warsaw nike.
Not that it matters ... just sayin

Delaware, OH

not sure that is powdery mildew.check on line diagnostic pics.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

2racing, how is yours doing? Mine took off in the window and is 26" long and has 8 sets of leaves.

How far back should I trim it?

(Zone 4a)

Yes I am curious as well to know how that clematis is doing?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Nelly is doing really good actually. -Surprisingly good.
It's got several sets of leaves & seems to just keep taking off.
I went ahead and planted it in a protected area behind a bird bath and it seems to be growing well.
Leaves are getting large and growing well.
I've been keeping it cut back to encourage new growth and apparently it's working.
It's in a part shade, mostly shade area with dappled sun.

here's a pic taken on the 7th.
Big difference.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Delaware, OH

one guideline for reducing length on a young plant or a type 2 after blooming when you are in doubt is to reduce it by 50%. this is conservative height reduction and can cause no harm. many folks are hesitant to prune or reduce length on young clematis. if you don't have a lot of plants to experiment with this is a good guideline. but when planting out you really need to go whole hog and reduce down to two leaf nodes from the ground. i know many of you experienced clem folks cut back harder than that, but my experience is that 2 leaf nodes from the ground works well and there is less risk of shock. i also only plant large flowered and vitacellas about 2 inches deeper than they were in the pot.i have had more problems in my zone with going deeper than that.
barry fretwell, who is one of the ones whose books advise the 4 inches gardened in england, which is a completely different climate. different zones and clems require a range from 2 to 4 inches deeper that soil line in the pot. those were the instructions from the good old chalk hill folks i think. i stick with 2 inches deeper. some of this stuff you just have to learn by doing it seems to me.

Mesquite, NV(Zone 9a)

Guru: I didn't know it took so long for clems to grow up and bloom; so, I've been discouraged at my ability to grow clems. Now, in it's third year, several stems have emerged and I'm hopeful again. Thanks for all your good advice. I didn't know about planting two inches lower - is it too late? Should I dig mine up and replant? The vines are about 6 inches tall now. (Nellie Moser) - Anne

Delaware, OH

don't dig it up, but you do need to make sure the soil is not eroded, or eroding and exposing the crown. i take a 12 to 18 inch diameter nursery pot, cut off the top 3 or 4 inches. place as a collar , or ring around the clem and embed it into the soild 2 or 3 inches. after the sprouts you see are a few inches higher, back fill the collar with enriched soil. good garden soil with some well composted enrichment. don't take a chance on still composting materials. but some composted enriched product like Nias Posy Power or what ever your garden store sells. wait a bit to let these tender shoot you see acclimate and harden off a little. when you put the composted enrichment in, do not pile it up on the stems, push it back slightly from the stems.
in the fall you can completely fill the collar again with the enriched material. you are in effect planting the clem deeper with out moving it. i have most of my clems planted this way. makes it easy to find them, and you can keep the soil level high. watering and other things can erode the soil.
most people have trouble with clems as the ones sold in chains and some general mail order are too small to be put out. if you buy any more, plant them in pots and enjoy them and then carefully put them out in the early fall if they are big enough. or overwinter in a garage with some light and monthly water, then plant them out next fall.
here is a pic of a young plant from spring 08 in the collar described. i have them on about 300 clems. makes care easier as you can locate, isolate, and feed with precision.
in the summer, i put mulch around the whole area, covering the rim of the collar. or you can plant impatiens or other small plants to mask the collar, or sink it further into the ground as the plant establishes.
good luck.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

should have mentioned, if the plant is big (unpruned or in vigorous growth)and you cannot get the collar over it, cut it all the way so it is open, then staple it several times back into a ring around the base of the plant.

Mesquite, NV(Zone 9a)

Thank you - collar and amendments done! The vines have grown two feet in two days!

Delaware, OH

clems are amazing, no?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.