Nelly at WallyWorld - question

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I found nelly moser at walmart for 5 bucks so I couldn't pass it up.
I took it out of the bag and it looks ok so far, but I"ve never had one this small before.

My question is, do I need to prune anything at this point to get it started?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

a little closer ....

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Personally I wouldn't trim it just yet I would give it a chance to get a little bigger. Mine were small when I bought them at WM and I did nothing to them, just put them in the ground and they took off well but didn't bloom for a couple of years. It takes Clematis several years to do anything anyway. They are slow starters but once they take off look out LOL

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

lol So true. My first one didn't do anything the first year either. I have no idea what it is but the blooms are huge and now it's watch out! lol
I have a pot I think I will put it in to start. So when do you think it needs to be pruned?

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well Are you going to transplant into the ground this spring? If so I would leave it until fall anyway. What you really need to do is find out which group it is in b4 you trim at all. Some of them don't require trimming and others do. I trim mine early spring to get all the dead stuff off. Some people trim when they first put them outside so that part isn't complicated., just when ever you want to do it. If you plan on keeping it in a container I would trim ( if trimming is necessary) somewhere last of March or first of April. Then it only needs to be a lite trim.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

nelly moser is group 2, but I was just wondering because it is so small. Does it not matter?

http://www.gardencrossings.com/plant/Clematis__Nelly%20Moser

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I would not think at this time it would matter because of it being so small. I am not sure of which ones I have as far as their names., but I know that both of mine puts out new runners each year is the reason I trim the dead from mine,and if yours does the same thing I wouldn't worry about it until the fall of the year or even early spring.Just let it go until you see what it is going to do.

Delaware, OH

I would plant one that small in a pot for sure and let it establish before pruning. once you see signs of growth, go ahead and nip it back vs hard prune. encourage it with regular fertilizer, and plan to plant it out side in the early fall to establish before dormancy sets in. small clems like this that people stick right in the ground are the reason clems get such a hard rap about being difficult to grow!
glad this one found a good home, as you obviously are!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I put it in a small pot to get going. We'll see how it does for a while. Thanks guys for your help.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I have never had a hard time with them and all of mine have been the small stuff. It just takes patients. Like any plant you put out it takes time.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

No, I know these take time. All clematis' do. I have had clematis before & I have a couple now. I just needed clarification on how to get them planted right because I have never had one this small before.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah I know what your saying. Me I just would treat it like any starter plant. Delicate care.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

got cha. Yea, I planted it in a smaller pot with bone meal, peat & all. I think it will be fine. Hope so anyway. lol

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh I would gamble a chance to say it will be. LOL

Delaware, OH

clems need to be planed at least an inch deeper than the soil line when purchased. this is true no matter the size of the plant.
there are so many good instructions around, but i have noticed this guidance is not on all tags with clems from big box stores like walmart.
order a clem form silverstar vinery, very reasonable shipping , nicely pruned back, huge roots ready for planting.you will be amazed at the faster growth over putting in the tiny ones such as the nelly that started this thread.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

niobe, I get what you are saying. For me it was a deal of 5 bucks so I jumped on it. If it doesn't grow well or whatever - no big deal. But also having one this small is more of a learning experience too. Well see how it goes.

As far as silverstar vinery .... I really like that site and the prices are very doable. She obviously knows what she's talking about which is a big plus for me. Dh said my v'tines can be whatever plants I want. AND he said last night that for our 5th year anniversary he'd like us to have a koi pond put in the back! *cha-ching!* Guess I'll get some clems sooner than I thought! I'll let you guys know what I decide on. Of course I don't have a zillion to chose from cause this area I'm putting them in kinda shady.

Delaware, OH

sounds like you are entering the zone of clematis obsession. welcome!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

:D thanks.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I would not touch it - if it is Group 2 it blooms on old and new wood so leave it alone! I have no experience with Group 2 as I dont plant them here but I do plant them several inches below the soil line when purchased - that way if anything happens to the top you will still get growth coming up from the part you put below the soil.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I will be with you learning about small plants. I bought a Jackmanii tonight from Wal Mart that looks like yours' twin. I will keep everyone updated. Jennifer

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Jennifer - yesterday dh & I went to lowes for a koi pond and found these for 6 bucks. They too are small but bigger than the nelly I got the other day.
I got Henryii, Jackminii, Ernest Markham (my MIL name is Ernestine Marcum - I had to get it and got her one too) and Warsaw Nike.

Look at the Henryii. Does this look weird to ya'll?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

close up of Henryii

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

close up of Ernest Markham

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They probably look wierd because they have been boxed so they are pale because little or no light and leggy because they are trying to find some light! Once you have them out of the box and potted up and given light they should be OK

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

That's what i was wondering. they are white-ish towards the bottom. I have them in an east window getting plenty of sunlight right now & will keep them moving to different windows to keep them in the sun for a while until I see them getting better.

(Zone 4a)

Here is my Nelly Moser....I do love her too! Of course I never met a clematis I didn't like LOL

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

yep, same here Dawn. Yours looks really happy. Do you have it in full sun?

(Zone 4a)

Yes I do that is why it is so bleached out looking...from a distance mine looks more white than anything.....she is pretty up close though. LOL

(Zone 4a)

here is another shot of the same plant...

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

bleached out or not, still looks really happy. How much fencing do you have covered with the wire stuff?
I've got a 48 (for right now) foot section I am working on for clems. It's mostly high light shade, filtered with some afternoon sun (if that makes sense lol). Yesterday I bought the green, plastic coated trellis type fencing to put all down and across the fence.

Here's the fencing I got.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=92254-000080032-LF40503216&lpage=none

edited to add link.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 9:27 PM

Delaware, OH

i would prune back that henrii as soon as it greens up a little. it looks like a root that was in a bag of peat or something for too long and recently planted.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

niobe - the henrii was in a green bag but I planted and watered as soon as we got home. You're saying when it gets greener prune it back some?

Delaware, OH

yes. after it greens up, i would cut back 50% of the length to encourage other shoots form the base. also when you plant it, plant it 1 to 2 inches deeper than the soil line when purchased. this encourages new shoots also.

(Zone 4a)

That fencing is perfect for clematis.....I myself have chicken wire type fencing that I just stapled onto the old fence.....I have it going everywhere.....it does the trick.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I potted my Clematis up and have it in a wondow that gets dappled shade throughout the day. It has sprouted a TEENY-TINY set of leaves. Yay!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ok ya'll, this Henryii has greened up a bit but it is still white-ish in the middle & at the bottom.
Where do I need to make the cut?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

congrats jlp222! yay!

Delaware, OH

right above the bottom set of leaves, not so close to create a wound on the place where the leaves meet the stem.

clean nippers before and after with physan or other antifungual.

the plant had been closed up for awhile but there was enough moisture for sprouts to happen so there could be fungus or mildew. don't get leaves wet when watering it right now. just the soil.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ok that leads me to the next question.
Would that be the explanation for white power stuff on one of the other clems?
The warsaw nike has a little bit of that on it. It is not doing too hot.

Delaware, OH

is that one of the ones you have inside?
it may be mildew or powdery mildew. it is not fatal but mars the look of the plant, the vigor and blooms. usually in comes from leaf watering, humid temps and no air circulation. or the spores can be introduced through poor hygiene and taken plant to plant.

clippers need cleaning before and after use on each plant with physan or similar.

if a baby clem has it, you would make sure it is not overwatered, soil water only (no squirting) spray with fungicide from nursery store, check air circulation, drainage and humidity.

some plants like phlox are very prone to this, some are less. all can get it. in the clems texensis varieties or those hybridized from texensis are more prone to get it but any can get it.
plant these varieties in full sun and do not overcrowd and leaf water.

good luck.

get some more expertise form british clematis society website or other resources.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.