Beginner's Guide To A Carnivorous Start?

Oakland, MD

So I was reading about carnivorous plants, because I would like to own a few of my own.
I have always found them fascinating!
I know they require full sun in the summer (as long as it isn't too hot), and that they require a 50/50 peat/perlite mix to grow in, but was wondering if I could get instructions on setting up a suitable planter.
I live in zone 6a, and was also reading that they can survive just fine as long as I bring them in before the temperatures go below -10.
I was looking at starting out with a sundew to grow indoors, and a generic venus flytrap, and S. rubra - Canebrake Sweet Pitcher for outdoors.
Am also debating between the Canebrake Sweet Pitcher, and the S. flava - Yellow Trumpet. I was reading about the Yellow Trumpet, and that it is highly attractive to yellow jackets and wasps, and man I would like to get rid of some of them!!! Is there any difference in their attraction?
Would like to start this summer, so any advice would be very helpful!
Thank you!
Ashley

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 7:58 AM

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

For indoors a Sundews or Mexican Butterworts. Bright, indirect sun.

For outdoors VFTs, Sarrs. Put outside after all danger of frost. FULL Sun, meaning all day Sun. Bring in in the fall just before temps get to freezing and put them in your fridge until mid February.

Tom

Oakland, MD

Oh, what about pot setup? That's my biggest question =)

Plastic pots. Soil mix is 50/50 peat moss and perlite. Set the pots in a tray of water about 1-2" deep. Water with distilled, rainwater or reverse osmosis water ONLY. NO TAP WATER. NO bottled water.

Oakland, MD

I have well water. Comes straight out of the ground. Would that work? Or do I need to get a barrel to collect rain water in?

I'd imagine the well water is fine. Maybe I'd have it tested to see what's in it. You may have already done that. I personally use rainwater.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I would use rain water, since you need water that is nutrient free.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.