Home built mini-greenhouse

Kerrville, TX

Maybe I should call this a home depot mini greenhouse. I raid the discount lumber bin at Home depot on a regular basis. 2x4 lumber in approximately 4 foot lengths sell there for fifty one cents and most of this project was made from those discounted pieces. The 1/2 inch thick 6 inch by 6 foot long fence boards on the sides sell for about two dollars on a regular bases. The flexible black water pipe is cheap too as are the one screw clamps that hold the bows firmly in place. The little strip of wood down the top of the bows is not really necessary but it sure does firm things up. Even the plywood in the base of the bed came from the discount bin. Plastic doubled up makes a water bed for bottom watering your seedlings.

Thumbnail by Jaywhacker
Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

What a great idea!

That is exactly what I need for my transplant trays I got from a local family owned nursery. They are designed for bottom watering and would fit nicely in one of your mini-greenhouses. This could be an EZ-reach cold frame or even a hot house with the addition of agra heating mats or coils.

Did you have to buy a 100' roll of the flexible water pipe?

Now, let's see, if you made a 1000 of these....how much did you say they weighted? (grins)

Jerry

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Edisto Island, SC(Zone 8b)

jay...i'm very impressed...handy, functional...i can see so many gardening uses for those of us who have the dreaded "bad back"...thanks for posting it...another for the file!!! virginia

hope i can get hubby to build one or two for me...

Kerrville, TX

Jerry.....for some reason, bottom heat had never ocurred to me. I was just basicly looking for something that would allow me to start seeds just a few weeks early but the idea could be expanded and improved on. For instance, with a couple of little mist nozzles, it would make a great propagation chamber for cuttings. Im sure it can be improved on and adapted to each home gardeners needs and climate. I guess you could look at it as another winter sowing system too. It is small enough to cover up and keep warm with a light bulb on bad weather days also.

Verginbred.........take that picture of that thing and have it transferred onto a dining table place mat and put it before your husband at every meal. Im sure he will catch on that you are trying to tell him something.:-)

Edisto Island, SC(Zone 8b)

lol...great visual jay...thanks!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm going to share this over in the accessible gardening group, perfect for us sitting gardeners. thanks!

Kerrville, TX

I was medically retired at age 50 (26 years ago now)with back problems. I can still do most of what I need to do,......just not as much of it or as often and with days of re-cuperation mixed in. So I understand where you are coming from to a limited extent. I will be phasing out all my ground level gardening this year and going to go entirely to raised tables and vertically growing systems.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Many of the DG members who visit the accessible gardening page are just like you, Jay. I can walk, just not far, and can sit lots longer than I can stand.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Awesome!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Great idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

Dayton, TX(Zone 8b)

Perfect solution for starting seedlings! I've been looking for something larger to set my little pots in to bottom water. I think this will be one of my next projects before next Spring. Thanks so much for sharing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.