Hellebores look like ...

Monrovia, MD

...hell! I spent way too much money last year to buy a dozen or so hellebores from Barry Glick at Sunshine Farms. I believe I followed all directions and planted the small but 2 year old plants in my "Fern Bed" under my deck. They didn't grow much over the season last year - but I didn't expect them too. I was hoping they would begin to look a bit more alive about now - but maybe it's too early? They look awful. The plants had overwintered above ground but now look like they're dying back - I would have thought that would have happened a while back...do they send out alll new growth in the spring? Anyone have experience with Hellebore in this area? What do yours look like?
Thanks

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't worry yet. I haven't been out to the garden to check for new growth, but from the windows all mine are looking pretty tattered right now. And these are the pretty well established ones. I'm sure all my new, small ones are looking much worse. They were looking pretty good up until that snow followed by ice. Mine always die back a bit and should be sending out some new growth in a few weeks. I'm sure yours will be fine.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I bought seeds this year from Valuseeds--They probably grow better when one actually PLANTS them...

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Same with me when I first got mine but they do bounce back very nicely. They do take awhile to get established.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Mine looked raggedy but okay until we had that below zero freeze. Now they're looking pathetic. Normally some of them would be getting ready to bloom in February or March but I think that cold snap set them back.

Don't worry about them. If they're big enough, you can cut back the ratty looking leaves now if you want but they will pop back out soon I'm sure with lots of nice new leaves.

The ones I planted from small plants took about three years to get any size to them.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was just out today looking around at mine and thinking they looked pretty rough.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

yvg....

All of last years leaves on my Hellebores are still there and looking ratty. That is just their way. These leaves are all spent--they are just there....BECAUSE.....???

When the blooms come up from the crowns--you can cut off the old leaves--if you want to, or you can leave them be until the new leaves emerge.
After the blooms--the new leaves will grow. It is just their cycle.....

I have 3 new Hellebores to look after this year I got from DG. Looking forward to seeing their blooms. So far--I have only had two--the mauve ones and the pale-green ones.
They look pretty on either side of my concrete bird bath.

In gardening---patience is the biggest virtue!

Gita

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I've grown Hellebores from plants, not seeds, because they take soooo long to flower (about 5 years to maturity). That's why a Hellebore plants costs $$.

Barry Glick at Sunshine Farms does have any amazing variety of Hellebores and ones that he has personally cultivated. His website is like "eye candy" to me. However, I think his prices reflect it and therefore, I don't buy from him.

I ran the Hellebores Co-op at DG years ago. At that time, I purchased the plants from Pine Knot Farms in Virginia. They also grow & cultivate their own varieties and I really like what they have to offer. The ones I got at Pine Knot Farms have finally bloomed in the last couple of years. I grow them in a partly shady location with moisture retentive soil. I've never fertilized them, so they've thrived on total neglect. Yes, you do have to have a lot of patience when growing Hellebores because they will give you flowers eventually, but you most likely will not get instant gratification.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.