Peruvian Daffodils....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

At your local Walmart....3 bulbs for $5

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Nice- I have had PDs for a couple years. I am getting them to multiply well, but haven't bloomed yet. I hear they need fertilizer, sun and water LOL I guess mine need MORE fert, sun and water than they've gotten.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - have you had to pull them or do you keep them in the ground?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

They're not hardy here, Chantell. Dig them up in the fall.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That's what I thought but you know I "push" the zone in my front area between the southern exposure, brick front - it's a well protected area. I might "try" it - if they don't make it but I REALLY like the scent, I pick up more next year. If they'd been $20 that would be different. Kinda like with the Tuberoses - I know there's a vendor in 7A that keeps them in the ground so I experimented and left a set of 4-5 of them IN the ground and mulched that area well....if they don't pop back up then I still have all the ones I pulled. Have I mentioned what a lazy gardener I am?

Experiment all you want- but I think they are quite tender, as in I read they don't want less than 50 degrees. But hey, who knows? Reminds me I should find mine in storage and see what they are looking like.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So, I read this post this morning and totally ran out to Wal-Mart to get some! They've been on my 'wish list' for ages. Thanks for the heads up. I also couldn't resist some pink Lily of the Valley, a peony "Bowl of Beauty," and canna "Picasso."

Plant files says the Hymenocallis are hardy to 8A, so I think it's worth giving it a shot in a protected location. Heck, everybody grows gladiolus in the ground year-round here, and they're not supposed to be hardy. But they come back every year.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, you can't push with these. Sally is right - they're a very tender bulb. If you don't want to dig them, why don't you plant them in a pot and just bring the pot in this fall?

I tried to get some to overwinter in my warm spot where I have the glads and dahlias growing without digging and killed them dead.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Eeek...ok....in a pot they go....THAT I can do...plus I remember where they're at that way...LOL Have I mentioned my dislike for markers in the ground? I find them distracting - and since I dont' use them I have to be careful with anything that would need to be dug up each fall. More info that any wanted eh? LOL Anyone with suggestions on size of pot? There are 3 decent size bulbs in these packs.

Being in Amaryllis family--I don't think you'd need a huge pot. They may make some puppy-bulbs like an amaryllis or daffodil, but not that many in a year. Or use a bigger pot and maybe add something lower/, bushier, to cover the soil and fill it up, something that will also like sun, warmth and fertilizer. and water--there were comments in PF about it blooming for people after hurricane-rains.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm good idea...gotta get my brain-a-thunking now...it's an effort sometimes....I tell ya!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Pot bought...course now I'm thinking...what else can I put in there that I might like that would normally need to be pulled...

think---think---think

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm....the white dats....tuberoses...?????

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...might get some seeds of the Lilium philippinense - that might do it.

I'm not sure if the white Datura would swallow up the Peruvain daff before it blooms. Mine got foliage about the size of a good size regular daffodil. I guess a bloom woldn't be a whole lot taller. Not sure when to expect the blooms. I was thinking more of...of a...um...well, something smaller and bushier. Treating the Daff as a grass like accent. But I am really not good at arranging group pots..

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Me neither...guess I was assuming since it was a daffy it was a spring bloomer...should check that. The Dat wouldn't have any size to speak of come spring - I just planted the seeds the past few days matter-a-fact....gotta thunk on this some more....brain hurts.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Mine got taller than a regular daffodil but I'm thinking it bloomed later, more like late June or early July? What about some nice scented annuals like stocks or flowering tobacco?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yepper...ya'll were right...they're showing mid-summer - preferring full sun...so the Nicotiana would be a good match...wonder if I ordered any of that low growing Perfume purple nicotiana???? Could also do a little size of the tiny trailing petunias in front since the daffy's are showing up to 2'

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Mine were also not bright yellow like regular daffs and not white. More like a pale, pale, yellow if that helps in color matching.

Nicotiana or petunias --you're getting 'hot'- Both those sound good! So hart- how did you grow them?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Woooo-whoooo....love it when a plan comes together

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

basil!

;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ohhhhh another good idea - esp w/the various colors

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and the various scents!

Did you see my list on the new thread for our swap? I figure you "need" Thai basil and Blue Spice, for sure. :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh YOU'RE the herb guru...I trust you to pick out what you'd think would be best and then (heaven help me) tell me how to grow em'...please and thank you ^_^

Shenandoah Valley, VA

How did I grow what, Sally? The daffs? I just planted them in my big bed next to the kitchen. They did very well, the bulbs came from Bleek as I recall, but I didn't dig them. They never came back up.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm especially excited to see how Serata (green) and Purple Ruffles will look together... and I think the "lemon vanilla" description of Blue Spice sounds wonderful.. I will grow it and Thai Siam Queen for blooms as well as foliage. :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OOoooo....may I have a pinch of each....please and thank you (IF you have enough)?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You know you can take a run through my basil "stash" for a pinch of anything you want! I'll put some in your goodie box Saturday too. ;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahh thank you...but so much easier (read: LAZY) to ask you what you think would work best - otherwise you'll be attempting to eat your sushi and every couple of seconds will hear "Ohhh Jiiiilllll, how about THIS one - would this work?" LOL Heck, I couldn't even make up my mind a few years back which tomatoes I would have liked - remember?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe I just need to make sure I have an extra seedling or two of every kind I sow this year... you can arm wrestle Becky for them in spring. ;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL....now please dont' go to THAT type of trouble...gracious

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL You know I always have extras, because I have sow seeds thickly "just in case" and then have a hard time throwing any away. I'm glad Holly's swap will be in May, so I won't have to try to hang onto extra seedlings quite so long.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hugs, thank you!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.