My Late Summer/Fall 08 Garden Project

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I usually try to do at least one garden project a year. A couple of years ago a coworker was removing some pressure treated 6' stockade fence from his property asked if I had any use for it. It was free, all I had to do was haul it away so I ended up with a big pile of fence 2x4's and 4x4 posts. I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I was thinking about a compost bin project but last summer had another idea. I tore it all apart, cut it down, made picket fence out of it and installed a new 20x20 foot bed in an open sunny area of my yard. I collected round field stones from a relatives farm, flat stones from the creek at the back of my property and lucked into a bunch of nice rectangular foundation stones from a neighbor. (once again all I had to do was haul them away) I made raised beds inside the fence using soil I got from my BiL who works for the state highway dept. I did have to buy a few more 2x4's, posts and hardware to hang the fence panels. I bought mis-tinted paint and stain to finish the project. I figure I have about $150 in the whole project. I took a series of photos--from start to finish.

Photo: Building my new fence panels from the old stockade fence.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
This thread has 153 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!