What's in Bloom Today - Part 4

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/942481/

Post away!

I have a blooming Nagano from American Meadows but it has been quite windy in my area and the bloom is sad looking. I will trip to post a pic later.

Here is weather-beaten Nagano. Should I put this ugly in the PF?

Thumbnail by vossner

deals! deals! deals! Actually, I'm j/k. This was at my fave nursery in Dallas and the bulbs were just lying there. When I got closer, most of them had shrunk and dried up so badly, I don't think they had any hope. I did find a softball-sized bulb of Christmas Gift, with a shrivelled bloom. I have planted inground, hoping it will produce a second showing.

I don't understand why these people couldn't plant the bulbs before they got in this pitiful state and sell them as potted plants later in the year. Seems like such a waste.

Thumbnail by vossner
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for starting the new thread. Thats some photo of all the blooming Amaryllis in the bin.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh what a shame to see them all flowering away in that bin. I guess they'll just be thrown away..

My Elvas is glorious at the moment with 3 fully open blooms.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

what a shame to see all those beautiful bulbs going to waste. Makes me want to run out there and rescue them..

Elaine

they wanted $8.50 for those shriveled things. It is possible they didn't care because their supplier gives them credit for unsold items, I dunno. I think this is a well run nursery but sometimes we're all guilty of taking the path of least resistance and that may be the case w/ regards to these bulbs. They had a bunch of unsold bulbs, not just amaryllises.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

8.50?????? NOT rescuing them, since I am 'Queen of Cheap' still a shame.
I love Elvas. My aunt has one. Hope it multiplies.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Bet they don't sell many of those at that price. I paid under $6 for each of these bulbs and two came with enamel pots and the potting soil. All look like they will still bloom over the next couple months. I have 3 bulbs at work that should open this week and 9, including these, at home that will go to work as they get nearer to blooming time. My coworkers and the patients at the hospital have really seemed to enjoy the Amaryllis. Too bad places just let the bulbs bloom and go bad rather than giving them to nursing homes or other places that could enjoy them.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

Here, here!
We had an Iris show last June and the nursing homes in town got the huge bouquets afterwards, but there are nurses involved who think like that. I'm hoping this throw-away, greedy society gets with the program during this recession.

Just think. $8.50 was the half off price, these were orig. $16!

Susan, I would say yours in the pic are about the size of a large chicken egg? They look healthy and young. Now imagine a bin with that same size, most of them, but shrivelled to about 1/2 of yours. They were def. not worth $8.50 and really not worth anything cause I didn't find them salvageable. Otherwise I would have bought them or at least asked the mgr for a deal.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's the first of the blooms on Night Star.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Gervase, Fantasy and Jewel. With the second scapes I do see a difference between Gervase and Fantasy (White Flower Farm). When held side by side: Gervase is smaller and has a paler background color than Fantasy. Gervase has a pale pink ring around the center which Fantasy lacks. This 3rd scape of my Jewel were all single (not doubles) blooms.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Unidentified bloomer. The seed pods developing in the background are from another scape from the same bulb. I tried a cross with saved pollen from 'Black Pearl' that bloomed over Christmas. We shall see.

Thumbnail by snapple45

Snap yours looks like Rozetta Here is mine

Thumbnail by
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Eureka! That's it! It was a nameless big box store rescue bulb - until now. I really appreciate the pic and ID.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Popov from White Flower Farm

Thumbnail by bsharf
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is the second stem on Elvas. The first had 2 flowers open, then when the second stem started to shoot up, the last 2 buds on the first stem fell off. Now this stem has one bud that looks like it might open and one that is drying up. Does anyone know what causes the buds to fall off without opening?

Susan

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Ok i just have Red Lion, Cherry Nymph and a couple not yet open.
But what I am thrilled about is the blooms i got this year. I have struggled with getting good rebloom.
I found some liquid bone meal. It seems to have worked!!
What do you all feed yours?

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Love the 'Popov' and the form on 'Night Star'

Frustrated with another wrong bulb from blooming bulb coop. I bought 'Nymph' and 'Aphrodite', but got two of the same one. Nice, but not different. Both appear to be 'Aphrodite'. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

My beautiful San Remo It had 8 blossoms open, fell over & broke 2 off, still beautiful!!!

Thumbnail by

Another view of San Remo. This one is a beauty such large flowers!!

Thumbnail by

Sorry Patti! Great one, Rene. Love the edge line.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I really like the combo pink and white in Amaryllis. They look so "lady like" and dainty in comparison to the "bold and in your face" reds and oranges.

Pink amaryllises are lovely. So are oranges, so are reds, so are whites. Wait it minute...I love them all. Here is Piquant, or what I picked up as P.

Thumbnail by vossner
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

It does look diffrent to me than "Piquant" or better, let's be more cautious and say, the version of "Piquant" I know - big flowers with broad segments and an extremely long style, and not that conspicuous, sharp transition between red and white in the flowers of your specimen. Already the buds of your specimen look fabulous!

Thumbnail by haweha

ugh! you are absolutely right. From now on, I will post alleged ______. After checking the plant files, my amaryllis looks different. It is an intense red with no veining. It does have the green eye and a greenish underside. I'm about to give up on keeping up w/ cultivar names, and just enjoy the darned flowers.

This was taken w/ my cell phone, not top quality but I thought I was good enough to post

Thumbnail by vossner

another view

Thumbnail by vossner
Mobile, AL

I've been trying to get Piquant for years, and I have to tell you that when it turns out to be Minerva, I am disappointed. Not because I don't like Minerva. Minerva is simply to easy to find around here.

I purchased several Piquant in an attempt to get the real thing, and the first one to open this year appears to be Gilmar. For the price, I won't complain. I adore Gilmar which tends to be variable in shape, but not in its intense color.

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

Ambiance is quite a treat! There are so many blooms and multiple scapes will bloom simultaneously.

What a gorgeous floral display! Not all have opened yet in this picture, and there are two scapes blooming on one bulb.

Thumbnail by HSteacher

fantastique

Mobile, AL

Thank you, Vossner!

I am quite thrilled with this one. I am ordering a second Ambiance, and one will be planted in the ground. YIKES! Yes! I'm going to see which ones are hardy and which ones are not (in my area).

We have a five day weekend holiday at school. It's Mardi Gras time. Hopefully, I can manage to take and upload more pictures. Currently, I have 25 bulbs in bloom and the older ones are starting to send up scapes. I see a bud on Chico, and I am thrilled! Exotic Star has also done well amongst many others that stayed outside (in pots) during several hard freezes.

My focus this year is not on determining ploidy as much as it is determining which ones can survive an average of 65" of rainfall/year and several hard freezes.

Wish me luck!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

That's my focus also, seeing which ones can survive outside in the North Florida climate, with its varible rainfall and occasional frosts. The realible ones are the old "pass along" varieties, the new hybrids are very iffy in terms of their hardiness.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Vossner, your not Piquant looks like the same one I have that was suppose to be Piquant. i decided it was probably Gilmar and ended up liking it a lot.

This one is suppose to be Nagano, but doesn't have much of a white star in the center. At least it is a nice coral color. Maybe the other blooms will have more of the white star.

susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And this one was suppose to be Hercules. It does seem that Hercules must vary a lot in color. Some photos are pink, some rose and some deep red. This one is more red than it looks here with a darker red area in the center. Not very impressive.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2009 9:46 AM

My Hercules which I got a couple of years ago are raspberry bed. Beautiful color but when you're expecting a rosey pink, well.....

I looked up Gilmar and mine's certainly closer to it than to piquant.

The Nagano that I got from Bleek doesn't look like yours

That's it!!!! i'm yanking all my plant tags and just letting the flowers be, lol.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is, supposedly, 'Baby Star' yesterday and I have what is, supposedly, 'Pasadena' opening today which looks very much the same. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Where did you get your witches' menu, Patti? Poor girl, you must be beside yourself! How many were tagged wrong so far this year?
PS Did you know that the Newfane Greenhouse froze this winter?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.