Can i have your support please!!!

Coushatta, LA

Picture 4

Thumbnail by TheAngelGirl
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You can be sure I will be looking for "Professor Sargent". I will try very hard to grow a healthy specimen. After all, I have a fantastic tropical garden and that is not supposed to be possible here.

Coushatta, LA

Christi,sorry to hear about your plants.I hope they will bounce back.

Clarkson, KY

You are bringing back memories here -My grandmother's Christmas tree was always decorated with Camellias -fuschia and white blooms. She lived on a sandy spit of land that she had made soil on by dragging seaweed and other compost for years...approximately 1ft above sea level...beautiful!!

Coushatta, LA

Memories,are good.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 2:29 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Would love to see them have their own forum....
It is soo much easier to find pics and information if the plant has it's own forum.

Thanks

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Happgarden,for your support.

Coushatta, LA

Yea Christi,i think Professor Sargeant is so beautiful.It get big and just full of flowers.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I really encourage those of you who can grow Camellias to share what you know within PlantFiles. We have over 350 Camellias listed: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Camellia&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Lots of the entries do have at least one photo, but many still don't. Descriptions, your ZIP codes to indicate which of them grow well in your area, and additional photos are always welcome. In fact, adding more Camellia varieties to PlantFiles will probably result in earning them a link under the "Browse popular cultivars" area of the PlantFiles homepage: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/

Greensboro, AL

One of my jobs was to run a State operated historic house museum. There were a lot of camellias. My boss kept bringing this stuff called Cygon for the camellias from Montgomery. Aparently they have some problems there because of the Black Belt - not all of the soil is acid enough for camellias. But I didn't need the Cygon because we have perfect soil for camellias here.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just brought mine out of the garage. I can't wait to get it into the ground. I would love someplace to discuss camillias as I'm a beginner Southern gardener.

Darla

Thumbnail by Darlacooper

And a close up

Thumbnail by Darlacooper
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Darla, those are beautiful.Does it have a name?
I need to go searching for someone who sells them. I know there are some here on Daves, just need to go shopping.
LK

Well, I have to post again to say, there are not that many available here on DG. I found on vendor so far, and they want $30.00 to $40.00 per plant! Is the the normal price for them?
I will keep looking.
Linda Kay

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

That is about what I paid Linda Kay --from a nursery. My Pink Perfection was 55.00 but it was a large one.

Greensboro, AL

You can find them at Lowe's, home depot, and Walmart. Sometimes you can find a local grower. Here were have an agricultural newspaper and there is a guy who sells rooted cuttings - a less expensive way to build up a collection.

A g. can has been in the $8 to 15$ range at the chain stpres but prices on everything are going up. Sometimes Sam's has a shipment.

Greensboro, AL

There are a couple of people on Dave's who propagate/sell camellias.

Dixiebelle123 - Florida & Gene Phillips in Georgia. Not sure of their current sales status.

Thanks for the info.
LK

Clarkson, KY

TRG -I actually didn't vote for the forum, much as I loved g'ma's Camellias...sorry...

Terry, Thanks for all the info.
Linda Kay

Coushatta, LA

Terry,i don't know if i have your support.If i do thank you,if not thats ok too.

Coushatta, LA

Darlacooper,thank you so much for your support.All this really means alot to have all of your supports.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Jungleman,for your support from my California thread.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks JasperDale,for your support from my California thread.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Kdenise1111,for your support.From my Mid-South Gardening thread.

I'm all for a camellia forum, it would be among my favorites.

This is Leslie Ann, my favorite C. Sasanqua

Thumbnail by ardesia

Ummm, we need to keep the cross-threads to a minimum, so I left the one in Trees and Shrubs and this one.

The best way to convince us there is a need for a new forum is to show that an existing forum is overrun and dominated by the discussion of a particular kind of plant, and it really needs its own forum.

If there's not enough historical evidence to suggest that's the case, then you can start a thread about Camellias (which you've already done) and see if anyone else is interested in this plant, too.

You may find there are a lot of other Camellia lovers, or you may not. (Better to find that out with a single thread in an existing forum, rather than launching a forum and watch it lay dormant.)

But even if there aren't enough Camellia lovers to support and sustain a dedicated forum, you don't need a forum to talk about Camellias--the trees and shrubs forum would be a good place for any questions that anyone might have, and PlantFiles is a great place to show off your Camellias, and share what you know about each variety.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Leslie Ann for your support.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 4:20 PM

Coushatta, LA

Tell you the truth,their are alot of forums that lay dormant.............

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Cody, you and your grandmas pictures of your camillias would add so much to plantfiles.

Quoting:
Tell you the truth,their are alot of forums that lay dormant...

That's true, and that's why we want to prevent adding another one to that list ;o)

Coushatta, LA

Then delete all three threads for me then.

I apologize--I think I didn't state that well. It's not that we're not willing to add another forum, but we don't want to add one if there isn't enough support for it.

That's why we encourage anyone who suggests a new forum to help us explore if there is a widespread, sustained base to support the forum if it is put into place.

Greensboro, AL

Yes. I have seen that, too. Some one wanted a forum on chrysanthemums but there really was never the support for it.

taters55 - the camellia I posted is called Kramer's Supreme Camellia. It even has some scent to it.

Darla

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey, have to jump in here sorry, I know your pain. Would be cool if we all win, but not What is, is.
We tried for a forum on Hellebore's. I know there are alot of plants out there that everyone would like to have that speical place to go to just for the plant. I would like to share my favs in the right place. But as Dave and Terry as said, there has to be a demand and yes some need to be Q. But you can start a tread just for them. I'm In PNW and we have 2 treads going on, on Hells. I have a Camillia love it, Please don't get me wrong. Please

Mine Have no clue of her name, 20years old. my horse ate the other one. LOL

Tills

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Well Rosegirl, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so I suggest those of us that are interested just keep posting about our pretties, on all the somewhat related forums, and maybe giving a big sigh once in a while about how nice it would be to have a camellia forum........

Here is Nuccio's Pearl.

Thumbnail by ardesia

That is REALLY pretty!

Coushatta, LA

Aredesia,Yea we can do that.We can talk about them until we are blue in the face and still won't be a thing done about it.This is a flower site,so i don't understand why we can't have all kinds of flower forums.Maybe it would start booming,but that won't happen either.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 9:02 PM

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 9:11 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.