Purchasing seeds in a can

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

I've been contemplating ordering some of those "seeds in a can" from Emergency Essentials for my supplies just so I have some seeds on hand if needed for an emergency. They are non-hybrid seeds, packaged and stored in a can. On other sites I have been reading that storing seeds in a can is not a good idea. I have also read that they should be frozen until ready to use. I've found comments like:

"Seeds are living things. They need air to "breathe." When they're vacuum packed in a can, they die! We urge you NOT to buy canned seeds."

I'd appreciate your opinion on whether or not to purchase seeds in a can. I do plan to harvest some of my own heirloom seeds this year and will freeze them I think. Thanks.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't do it, but not in particular because they are in a can, although there is an issue with seeds needing some oxygen. I wouldn't buy them because you are better off buying open-pollinated seeds from very reputable seed merchants like Territorial or Fedco. Otherwise, you are getting junk--seed lines that have not been correctly maintained for purity and vigor of the variety. When you are going to be depending on these seeds theoretically for your life, you want to know that when you go through the trouble of growing them under far less than perfect conditions, they will not only grow but they will be as described and will be healthy plants produced by health seeds.

If you want to store seeds a long time, you can make sure they are sufficiently dry and store them in the freezer. Yes, when the zombies come, the electricity will go off, but then you just take the seeds out of the freezer and they will be good for 2-3 years, by which time the zombies will be opening their own seed businesses and you can just buy from them.

But seriously, even storing seeds in the freezer doesn't make much sense to me unless they are a variety that is rare or that is no longer going to be sold. Because most seeds will last a couple of seasons stored dry and cool. Wouldn't that be enough to grow the thing and then harvest your own seeds, if it came to that? And how many seeds does a person need of one variety anyhow?

For all these reasons, I think the seed-in-a-can thing is like freeze-dried lasagna: products aimed at suckers that are playing off people's fear instead of their good sense. And I say this as someone who IS preparing for when the zombies come.:)

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I gotta agree with Paracelsus here (as a fellow zombie preparer--heck, I think the zombies are already on the horizon). If you look at the price alone and shop the individual seeds elsewhere--you'll see its no bargain. Personally, I think they just put them in a can for shipping purposes. Everlasting Seeds is another one like this--the survivalists just trying to make a buck when a little research and preparation on your part will accomplish the same thing.
Debbie

Reno, NV

I'm with you both. And don't forget to put a wreaking bar, ear plugs and a copy of Zombie survival guide in your bugout bag.

Lol

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Don't laugh!

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

I saw that on the news--I love those creative kids. Now had they not wanted that to happen, all they had to do was lock the box with the keypad in it....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I will concur. The "seeds in a can" is strictly a marketing ploy. One of the first thoughts that came to mind was are those seeds are suited for your area?

If you want to build a stash, select seeds that do will well in your climate. Leave some of the healthiest ones to ripen for harvesting your own seed and learn the best means to save and store them. The seeds that you have grown and harvested will be even better suited to grow in your climate the next growing season. In this manner, you will be developing your own heirlooms.

If you are inclined to purchase extra seed rather than wait to harvest your own, do the research for your climate conditions and purchase those that your family will prefer to eat. Good question, thanks for asking.

Now, where did I put my tinfoil hat???

I borrowed it Pod--I'm passing it back

That's o.k. I got more tinfoil and it would probably be better to just line the inside of my hat. Won't clue others to my paranoia...

In my post above, I said seeds that you have grown and harvested will be even better suited to grow in your climate the next growing season. It is estimated that at least 30% of the heirlooms grown have improved with acclimatization. Not to bad odds on developing your own heirloom seeds.

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

Thanks all for the great replies. I am now canning the idea of those seeds (pun intended). I have my own heirloom seeds but not in great quantity and certainly not enough for the zombies. This year I guess I'll plant more of the ones we like to eat and simply stash some out in the back 40.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.