barnevelder pullets

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, I really don't care that much what breed of chicken I get, but if I really had my druthers I'd like to have barnevelder pullets from what I've read about them. For some reason I'm unwilling to go to New Zealand to get them. (I know, I'm SOOOOO picky.) Does anyone know where, within about 100 miles of Lumberton, Texas, someone might have some for sale? I CANNOT have roos, and three is my livestock limit, so I truly am stuck with a three pullet situation. (I hear you laughing, Claire.)

Edited to say, then I checked Randall Burkey over in Boerne, Texas, right by where my best friend's boyfriend lives. It may take some crazy scheduling, but I'll look into getting them there. (In the meantime, if someone in Beaumont has some...)

This message was edited Feb 5, 2009 3:19 PM

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Great choice!

Of course I'm biased.. since I have a Barnevelder pair.. The hen is so "push button" she is just so quiet, sweet and lays beautiful dark brown eggs like clockwork.. not to mention drop dead gorgeous!
I may have hatching eggs sometime in the future, but at the moment, just the two.

Good luck to ya!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Brookville, PA(Zone 5a)

beeeeutiful hen!! i love the markings..

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, man, ZZ!! Now I MUST have barnevelders! She is absolutely gorgeous.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Three pullets.....(ROTFL)......

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

BACK OFF CLAIRE! Don't you get that full herd thing going on me. At least not until I get the farm. ;}

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

(giggle)

(doing the dance of many chickens...)

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Weee cannn helppp youuuu Brigidlilyyyyyy

he he he

Youuuuu Wannnt Hatchinggg Egggs...

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

gettttttinnnngg... ssllllleeeepy... waaaannnnnt.... haaaatchiiiinnnnnnng... eeeeggggggggsssssss...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

daaaaaaarrrkkk brrrrroooooooowwwwnnn eggggggggggsss.......

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And y'all can come live with me and protect me from the neighbors when all those dark brown eggs hatch out to be ROOSTERS!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

lol!
It's funny that you bring up the barnevelders as I had placed an order w/ Ideal for my BB turkeys and Cuckoo Marans. I was thinking yesterday about adding some Barnevelders but they are sold out for the next 2+ months! I guess it's for the best as DH is beginning to question, "Just where are all these chickens going?!" HeeHee! I'm already designing a new coop. shhhhhh!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

WOW what a beautiful hen ZZ! Now I want some toooooo! If you hatch or get straight run someone will buy the roos. Put them on Craigs list or something!!!
Sandy, How long before DH catches on? Is he really observant? hehehe

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I think he knows but it's easier for him to pretend that he doesn't. He loves it!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Sewin... We are building our flock... I already have a buyer for the roos too! Which is great.. cause I hate to not know where they are going..

Lodi, United States

And the chicks are auto-sexing too! White or cream breasts are boys, brown or tan girls.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thats good to know!!! ;)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, Cat, thank you for that bit of information! I got the pen built over the weekend except for the gate, and will post pictures when it is finished.

OMG. I'm actually going to get chickens, aren't I?

Will y'all babysit if I ever have to go anywhere???

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Once you get chickens, it's amazing.. you don't WANT to go anywhere! LOL

Lodi, United States

MY chickens all want to go visit Auntie ZZ....tomorrow:0) How am I going to hide 3 dozen chickens from the electric meter installer?

Brigidlilly, do try to get some Barnevelders--they are really such nice chickens and easy to work with.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh no.. Can they sleep on top of the Delawares? LOL

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL!! How CAN you hide three dozen chicks!!! The noise must be sooo loud. My 9 are loud. hehehe Good luck with that Cat and Auntie ZZ. ;)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Catscan...put them in the special sound-proof room in the basement that you use for all your chicken transporter beam experiments...

(oops, I wasn't supposed to mention that was I....)

Lodi, United States

Moxon! Gee, can't trust you with anything......

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

By the way, and this may be the most important question of all -- the pen is 8' privacy fence on three sides, and 4' chicken wire on one. Should I drape netting over the top of it? Partly because there are hawks in my area but mainly because -- will they fly out of that pen? I'd rather they were not free in the back yard while I'm not there, and I'd REALLY hate for them to go over the tall fence and wind up in the street!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

My chickens can fly very well. I think it depends on the breed. My Brahma can hardly get up onto the roost. All others fly over or perch ontop of my 6 ft high fence like it was their job. So I topped my run. hehehe ;)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Got the fence up. Still have to put in the gate. It will be a pretty gate (so people won't notice how ugly the fence is...)

edited to say I've sown purslane seeds in the dirt in the cinder blocks. It will survive the heat, and it's very nutritious. As they eat it, I'll sow seeds for sprouts in there.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 12:54 PM

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

See the lattice nailed up the fence? The wisteria is growing up that. It's starting to bud, too. And read on some toxic-to-chickens list that it was poisonous to them. What do y'all think? I'd hate to sacrifice the wisteria, but better that than the chickens, of course!

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Also built a pretty bad little chicken tractor. It will come in handy, either to isolate an ailing one or to let them peck around in the front yard (though I generally plan to avoid advertising that I have chickens, just in case).

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Brigidlily, that looks great!! Not at all a bad tractor! They will be tickled pink in their new setting. And so nice that you have green things going on down there!

I am sure that the wisteria will be OK, as long as they have plenty of other things to eat. You could do other vining plants on the fence like morning glory or black eyed susan vine or hummingbird attractors like cardinal climber and such. You could also grow Amaranth along the fence - it comes in some lovely colors and the chickens love the seeds.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Problem is, the soil is HORRIBLE. Packed builder's sand. I've read articles in Backyard Poultry and Hobby Farms about basically turning your chicken pen into a compost factory and I may do that. Then I may fence the current vegetable garden, make IT the chicken pen, and alternate years for chickens and vegetables. Should be pretty fertile after the hens have had their way with it.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's another shot of the tractor. The hardware cloth at the back (by the doghouse) pulls down and I need to fix something there so it will stay shut.

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

What a great job you did!!!! Now chickens!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ah yes, the chickens will deal with the horrible soil. Never fear. But you could, if you wanted, put some containers (like the long rectangular window box type) along the bottom in places, and plant things in those. Then, in the fall, you can dump out the soil and contents onto the ground and the girls will go through it and the next year you can plant into the soil directly. Oh wait, you don't really have "fall" in zone 8b do you?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

No, we just have summer. Miles and miles of summer. Then a little winter, some spring, and then summer. I know that SOUNDS good, but summer means sunshine you can't bear to stay out in! I set my thermometer in direct sun one day when it was in the high 70s, just to see what would happen, and it was well over 100 in about 2 minutes.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And you have fire ants.

I think I'll stick with winter (although I still wish it wasn't as long).

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely chicken run and tractor. They'll have a nice view of your herb garden.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

If you could herd fire ants and train them to do something, I could rule the world.

Thanks, g_m! Since the herb garden is pretty well established I may let them wander around in there. I'll have to get the veggie garden fenced first, though! It's one thing if they snip at my thyme, entirely another if they peck my tomatoes!!!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

You could run them through the veggie garden before planting or after harvest to catch any spare grubs, slugs or snails and them herd them back to their pen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.