Lets talk about HYBRIDIZATION

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Dany,

I don't think your questions were stupid, asking questions is part of learning.

About your question if these will produce the same results (let A be a cultivar and B another type of cultivar):

A x B
B x A

I have the same question too... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6109561

I think it doesn't hurt to cross A x B and then with another bloom with B x A. This way, the amount you can cross grows exponentially (therefore you can keep selfing the other seeds thus keeping the genes of the parents). or you can take cuttings to increase the parent plants.

The methods I would suggest is similar to Karen. I have no experience with crossings/hybridizing yet so most of mine are ideas or deductions from what I have read. Karen mentioned that you should focus on your F2. But I think that if you get a bloom that you're looking for from F1, you should let this self and focus on this also. I would also let the other F1s seeds, just incase your F2 of the bloom that you have chosen did not retain the qualities. I'm not sure if you get me, my head goes all over the place sometimes lol.

Your question from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6092423
I would cross like this:

Hamaginga x Fujimusume (1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)
Fujimusume x Hamaginga (1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)

Hamaginga x Raiko(1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)
Raiko x Hamaginga(1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)

Hamaginga x Shiborisaki(1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)
Shiborisaki x Hamaginga(1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)

Hamaginga x Matsukaze(1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)
Matsukaze x Hamaginga(1 to 2 blooms or more if you can)

I don't like leaving things out and might regret and wonder about it later on, so this is why I would cross all possible cultivars.

Another thing we might look at is the effect of environmental/outside factors in relation to bloom size (Or an other folk with 10 years of experiences will say this cultivar x.... has the reputation to encrease the size of the blooms.) and this could also be due to artifical selection. It's true that it's hard to find specific related information on this, and I spend hours sometimes looking for the info I would like....
for sure Temperature affects bloom size...my room got cold for about 1 week or 2 during winter and all the blooms were puny. So if Morning glories are sensitive to such temperature drop, what about smaller temperature changes? for example if the temperature was in the range of x to y, what would the average bloom size be? and if it goes from z to b, what would the average bloom size be?

Too bad it's not simple genetics, so many factors to count in...

Eliz

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Quote:{evr: I have no experience with crossings/hybridizing yet so most of mine are ideas or deductions from what I have read. Karen mentioned that you should focus on your F2. But I think that if you get a bloom that you're looking for from F1, you should let this self and focus on this also.}

Your entire batch of F2 Is selfed or tied and pollinated to self pods from your F1.

One focuses on the F2 if he or she is doing a certain recipe though the sky is the limit on your choices of what to do next. :)

It is impossible to cover all the possible ways and encompass the world of possibilites in one post. I can be like a ant seemingly lost wondering in the tall grasses yet I do know where I will go.

The environment does affect seed production. Some varieties are more sensitive than others but temps below 65 or above 85 at any time of day will cause changes in fertility. One 90 plus degree summer my Chachamaru was being fussy not making pollen. I decided to move my Chachamaru over just 10 feet to a cooler spot and the pollen was coming out within 3 days. In the fall cool nights and draftiness can cause low pollen issues too. Again nothing conclusive to broad generalizations (nor does it cancel out all other causes of temporary or apparent infertilitywhich I don`t have time to write all of them) but it is one idea to think about.

Cold over time will make your vine short and flowers rather puny. evr you noticed that to just as I have in some of my late fall plantings.

Thanks evr for sharing interest. This is exiting to me because that means more beautiful varieties will become easier to obtain and more people will get to enjoy the hobby.

Karen

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 11:40 AM

Mesilla Park, NM

Gosh, you get sick and all heck breaks loose..

I for one did not migrate anywhere. It seems that anyone and everyone has been chased away by a few that think they invented the wheel so to speak. Morning glories were here before any of us were born and will be here way after we are gone. The last three years on the MG forum have made so many people leave because they are insulted by a couple of people there now that think the forum is only for them. It is too bad, because there are people here that really like and enjoy crossing not just MGs, but other flowers. It is a shame that you all just can see what is in front of your face and just seem to look away when wrong is done. I am ashamed and embarrassed to post there now, the whole world sees and reads how we are lured to fight by certain people.

Some of the people that cry the loudest don't contribute anything except knowledge from reading, they never contribute "Hands on knowledge", but yet expect quite a bit in return. Maybe if these people helped everyone, not just themselves, it would be different.

Antoinette

It wasn`t my idea to move the thread.

I think a couple others vehemently insisted it get moved. Well, I decided after reading how people fuss about the terms hybridizing and how they apply to morning glories that here was a better place for it. It would cut down on the complaining about the use of terms to the point that the answers to questions are overlooked and I lose the fun of the conversation about my subject.

The morning glory people insist it is only "crossing" morning glories when my hybridization hobby involves more terms than just "crossing". I feel like the entirety of the Japanese Morning Glory or morning glory or plant hobby is being crammed in a box too small for it.

1. selecting
2.crossing
3. selfing
4. back crossing
5.growing very large numbers of seedlings and selecting cotyledons
6. A lot more I don`t have time to write all of it.

I want to enjoy a hobby as a regular average person and share on here.I don`t want to "hang out" and post daily on my hobby. I want to post every once in a while or as often as I get a whim and not worry what I write or what someone else writes refering to me is going to result in threads where there is confused assumptions made in every wild direction totally off the topic.

Karen

Edited: Came to fix errors I didn`t have time to look for.
I changed loose to lose and totaly to totally.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 9:34 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

I've got a lot of spelling errors but will not fix them so that no one will think I changed anything other than that..

Well, it is really hard to communicate via the internet.. one person will read something into things that were not mean't the way it was written... then again, sometimes I write things that don't come out right at all.

I sure hope that more people try to use this forum and we can all feel more comfortable with our crosses without everyone judging and making assumptions. Most the words I don't even know how to pronounce, but, I am not afraid to admit that..., on the other hand, that doesn't stop me from trying and I don't pretend to know everything regarding this subject. I always admit that I am learning.

What I believe is happening is that there are forum members that think they cannot participate in these threads and I don't know why, they have not lost control, I think it would be beneficial if they gave input, but they don't.

That is their choice.

Hi Gourd,

In the long run things will sort themselves out. I will take one day at a time and just share if and when I feel like it. You and everybody else should too!

Karen

I thought this had some nice pictures.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/947939/

Mesilla Park, NM

Yeah there are some nice Japanese nils there... hopefully they will come to us in the U.S. soon. lol

szarvas, Hungary

Finally why Hibridizing or crossing ?
There is an other solution !!!!

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rarf.riken.go.jp%2Fasagao%2Fwhat.html&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

Dany

Wow, what a great idea, Dany! I happen to have a particle beam accelerator in the basement! Wheeeeee (just being silly Dany, I hope you realize this)

I find it truly remarkable what you find using google, Dany, thanks for sharing these interesting web sites with us!

Joseph

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 9:16 AM

szarvas, Hungary

A little bit scholastic or academic but it can help !
Now a love the TRANSPOSON !

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-res&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.museum.kyushu-u.ac.jp%2FPLANT2002%2F01menu.html&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Hibya Park 2007 ( Japan )

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

From the University of KYUSHU ( Japan)
Transposon second round

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opack.jp%2Ffair%2Fa%2Fa_6.html&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

one pic from the site.

Thumbnail by dany12

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.