A Maui Reunion-sortakinda ot

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Last Thursday I was in Maui visiting a classmate (HS!!) I hadn't seen since school...and after 50 years we picked up together like the kindred spirits we are. Jenn (Braveheartsmom) and husband, Frank, joined us for lunch in a pouring down rainstorm.... I brought Ti, avos and a mamay(fruit) and Jenn brought bags of their delicious mangos frozen in ziplocks. We had a great switcheroo!!! Jenn ate the biggest chimichanga I have ever seen .... all of it ... and she is so much fun!

So...here is Jenn with my friend Lina and myself... We waiting for you all to show up...but no one came!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

Oh but we were there in spirit!! Looks like you all had a great time!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks to me like you gals are having a WONDERFUL reunion!!! Can you tell us who is who in the picture?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Finally back on line after a few days of computer troubles - I have missed you guys!

Yep, we had a wonderful time at lunch even though it was pouring with rain and Carol and I did our switcheroo in the parking lot getting soaking wet. Carol gave me a whole box of goodies and a small Brug and Hoya for Mom, who was absolutely delighted that Carol remembered her. By the way, Carol - should I pot the hoya up for Mom, or leave it as is for the time being?

Kay, Carol is on the left of the pic, the weed in the middle is myself, and Lina is on the right...

I am posting a picture of the Mamey fruit for those of you who have never seen one before (like me!). It is supposed to taste somewhat like a cantelope - I will let you know when it is ripe, it's almost there and I can't wait to try it! Carol has some of the most unusual fruits in her garden, things I never even see for sale here on Maui...I put a soda can next to the fruit so that you can tell the size of this monster! Please excuse the painter's tape - I have to put a second coat of paint on my new kitchen window, so the tape is still up.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I love the Mamey...Mamay...whatever. I think Jenn's spelling is correct. Around here they call it mamey sapote but it isn't a sapote at all!!! The flesh is deep orange, the seed is gorgeous and the taste is very sweet...like a really good sweetpotato. It is wonderful in a fruit salad with citrus to blend the sweet and acid flavors....

We did have a good time. My classmate is still 'almost as tall as I am'....the world is 'almost...." !!!

Carol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I was there...! you even swatted at me....the fly on the wall! :()

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh and me, too. February is a good time for Maui. or march, or april, or may, or........

Princess Kilikina

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH dear...should have known!!! So, how did you like the enchilada, Randy?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

mmmm.....it was sooo good....besides your kitchen, Jenny's is becoming a fast favorite! LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I was the fly that you missed. LOL!

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

We were in the plane and on our way over to join you for lunch when we heard that you were heading for the mainland soon, so we turned around and came back. Good thing we did, Harry says we would have run out of gas before we got there. Maybe we could land it on the water like Sully did, but I'll be darned if I'll row that far.

Mary

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I hear you Mary...get Harry to build a sea going speed boat..!!!

Or sea plane....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Still no bridge.....what's taking so long? HaHa!

Sounds like y'all had a great time! Sorry I missed it....been working on "the little house".

I wish I had some of that great fruit!

Jeanne

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

One thing I have noticed...when DG friends, and their friends, get together - no matter where - a good time is had by all. Sure wish I could have joined you! Sheesh Jen - I thought it didn't "pour" on your side...saving it all for Carol's visit, huh?

Our windy season - and work on the computer lines...(we are finally getting fiber optic out here - but just for work at the moment), are all contributing to me getting about 30 min a day on the pooter...just enough time to pay bills, and answer a few e-mails. I was lucky and got a whole hour today!! Woo hoo!!

Yokwe to all pretty ladies (and to dear Randy as well!),
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Auwe Shari....we have missed you. Was about to grab an albatross and send you a message!!! Glad communications will be improved...eventually!!!! Miss you!

Carol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Me, toooooo

I was about to dmail you too Shari!! LOL. Miss ya so get on here when you can!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari, I think of you every time I grind my pepper..and that's alot!
xxooo

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Such beautiful ladies! I will one day meet all of you in person!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Gosh guys, it sure is nice to be missed! And believe me...I miss my time here on DG with all of you!

Carol, are you traveling again? Amanda, how goes the job hunt? Christi...so sorry to hear that you had recent sadness. Think of that precious kitten and bambi to get your smile back. Randy, Dear One, I miss you terribly. Our conversations always made me feel better than I am. Goofy...keep those orchids growing!

Yokwe all,
Shari

Job hunt is still going. Our job market here isn't good and when jobs come up everyone jumps on them. Other than that everything is pretty good here. Am wishing spring would hurry up and get here so I can go outside and plant.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Shari...traveling in my head! Have taken up painting (again)...this time making that room you stayed in into a painting room (must get a better light fixture) so I can go in and close the door. Piddling around with painting now and I really am in a groove. I can go anywhere!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Good luck Pepper...hang in there.

Carol, that is so cool! I look forward to seeing the visual interpretations of your many travels. Funny how we go in spurts with our various obsessions...I am referring to all of us, not just you and me. Jeanne gets back into her miniatures, Randy gets his "writing on", I get obsessed with handicrafts...then let a week or two go by and Spring gets sprung and oooops...its back into the garden.

At the moment, I have been inspired by a gorgeous diffenbachia across the street from me. I have combined all my little pieces into one large pot, and I am going to try to get a similar beast growing...hers in so big and beautiful! Problem out here is that our rain is so unpredictable. We have three hot days, so I water, and then of course it rains for three days and my diff just melts. But I am DETERMINED! Any and all diff tips will be happily welcomed.

Happy obsessions everyone!
Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My daughter says "the garden" is my latest obsession. She's right but this one has lasted some 4 years and counting. Wish you were here, Shari.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ah yes...I miss conversations...your right we just get washed down the stream of life distracted by the scenery, and needing to renew.
I think you must be due for a new trip to the mainland!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Coming to DeSoto this time. And you too, RJ.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Diff....

Shade and since the rain is so iffy...LOTS of broken bits in the soil....really lose and it dries out quickly. Try mulching the loose soil so it doesn't dry out so fast.....

HTH... Me

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, Carol. How about you making a trip here too? If I could I would invite everyone. Jen, are you here somewhere?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha, I'm here again after almost three weeks of company - I sure have missed out on a lot!

Shari, nice to have you back again and I hope your computer time is back to normal now - we missed you!

Christi, one day Frank and I are going to drop by and give you and Mike a big hug! I have been thinking of you a lot lately especially as we have been doing all the things with my cousin that we all did together a year ago...Tell Mike (our whale spotter) that the whales are everywhere!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We don't have whales here but could probably find a Longhorn or two. Yes, Valentine's just wasn't the same.

PK

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sounds to me like we need a TZG reunion! JB is going back to Hono in March to see his doc about his shoulder...has to get approval to ride his bike again! Ha! He is only going to be there for a couple of days, so I won't be going. It just costs tooooooo much for such a short time. You are right Randy...I am due for a trip to the mainland, but I'm not sure when I will be taking it. When The Shoulder gets well we are going to try to go to Bali...been promising ourselves that trip for a while now. Maybe Conus in the fall. And we will for sure be stopping by Desoto!!!

Thanks for the tip Carol. I seem to have terrible luck with diff's. I water them too much I am sure.

Yokwe all,
Shari

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

De Soto, Texas? That's not so far from here. Given a bit of advance notice, I just might show up. It sure would be nie to meet all you wonderful people face to face. That would sure be nice.

Sylvain.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone! Aloha!
The weather is so beautiful here! Spring is definately on it's way!

I am still working on my miniatures. We've moved on from knick knacks to food items. They are so cute. Friday I am going out to my daughter's to house sit. for 10 days. She and the family are going to Oahu for Spring Break! The kids are soooo excited!

She has a computer so I can check in from time to time. Plus I will be coming home periodically to check on Mom and everybody. While I am out there I will be painting my oldest granddaughter's dollhouse.

Glad to see that everyone is well!

Jeanne

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Now that would be a deal, Pu'ole. Haven't had a "bear hug" in sometime.

Shari, you shouldn't have brought it up so soon. I will be anxious for months now. Oh, please hurry.

PK

Jen, Carol, could you girls get a convoy together?

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 3:53 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sorry Christi...put it out of your mind for now ha ha. Jeanne, knowing how much you love Hawaii, how are you letting them go without you????

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This would be a trip to my house in DeSoto. Jeanne knows she is always invited.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Christi!

Shari, right now I can't go off and leave my Mom for that long. My daughter asked me last year to plan to go, but it's just not possible. She promised she'd bring me back a muumuu!

I'll be working on the dollhouse while they are gone. The time will go by fast!

Maybe another trip.......someday! (My youngest granddaughter wants to go for graduation from High School.....in eight years so maybe then if not sooner, who knows! I shall return!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.