Old Tack Box, Tripod and My Grandmothers Quilt Rack

(Zone 7b)

Are you sure?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh yes, I like to stop at out the way flea markets for little treasures...

(Zone 7b)

OH goody so do I ^_^

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Me too!!!!! I specially love the fruit stands and nurseries.!!!!!!

Just leave a couple days early.

(Zone 7b)

Wren i have bought some lovely plants and bushes at nurseries and the roadside stand the best ones are those when vegetables are in season you can get alot of home grown fresh vegs.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I cant wait to meet you, but if it is the end of August I probably wont be able to. Might be AT the hospital with my new grandbaby.

Me too. DM and I go on rambles and you never know what you will find.

I missed the post. Where are we going? LOL

Right now I have a dog telling me it is time to go outside and play. If he bites my feet one more time I'm going to send him on a trip. LOL

Thumbnail by wren107
(Zone 7b)

Rambles that sounds like fun ^_^

They are. We would pick a direction and just go. The only rule is we would have to be back by night. Some time we would go to a place we heard of. Gardens, museums, nurseries, restaurants. There is a great seafood restaurant in a little place with a big name on the Gulf coast Stainhatchee, Florida. Citra, Fa has a peach orch., Tallahassee, Fl has a great state garden and a couple of really great nurseries. For the last 3 years do to my late DD we had not been able to go but now we are starting again. Only problem is DM is having trouble walking, so we have to go places where we can use the wheelchair or the distance to walk is small.

(Zone 7b)

That sounds like such much fun if you lived close to me i would be in the backseat and i love dogs and mothers so i would fit right in LOL

Let me know if you are every down here and I would plan a few trips or if you are ever in Florida any where from Jacksonville west to Tallahassee, south to a little south of Orlando and I may be able to tell you about the area.

(Zone 7b)

Thanks i do hope one day i'm either coming your way or you coming mine so we could meet in person ^_^

My sister lives west of you in Dallas, Ga so we may be up there when it warms up, unless she is laid off-she works for Nissan.

(Zone 7b)

Oh i hope your sis doesn't get laid off so many are loseing their jobs and homes it's so sad :(

She has been with the company around 40 years, she thinks she will be ok if things turn around

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

New Home for chickens...
Moved them out to a old rabbit hutch that I converted to a chicken hutch.. I used 1/2 pound of nails, and patched the chicken wire. Then I moved them out to the front yard, and would you now it the temps dipped at night to freezing. So I still leave the light on at night.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

another view

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

LOL I had fun doing this

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Look how big they are getting!!! WOW. They are turning out to be very pretty birds. Do you know if they are all girls? :D

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Yep there are getting big, but I really dont know the sex. I was counting toes but found out that may not always work...
I will take the camera home tonight and get some pictures without the chicken wire. I cant tell them apart anymore...

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I bet. They changed so much since they lost their baby fuzz. ;)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Billy was gone for a visit in Cali for a few weeks, and when he came home, he said they were not his chickens, they were big chickens... I laughed so hard... I told him they grew up just like him.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

You have to look very close.. but the roo will have 3 rows to it's comb, where the pullets have one row. The middle will be big and the two on either side are very small at first. It's hard to see.. When you see it for the first time, you will know for sure..

Good luck!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Only one of the chicks looks like it has a comb right now... OH I feel so chicken ignorant...

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

We all started out not knowing... We are here to help eachother, and enjoy chicken talk, not judge.
I just learned about the comb thing one day sitting around playin with my 2 blues... and noticed one had 3 rows.. They were about 3 or 4 months old at the time.. no other signs that the other was a roo... they looked identical!! Up until that point.. I had no clue.. so I'd guess that yours are still very young to start showing a comb thing yet.. Pea combs are weird.. LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hope she doesn't have any rose combs. LOL Both my bantam roos have rose combs.
What do you mean when you say "rows"? I am trying to figure out what my 2 chicks are. It's about time to put them out in the chicken yard. They are almost too big to fit through the wire and escape. They wouldn't actually escape cause the barn cat would get them.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 8:49 PM

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

The roos combs get color much earlier than the hens. Thats one way I know also. I think the different breeds have different characteristics. ZZ's right. We are all in this to learn and to glean from each other. :D FUN LESSONS THOUGH! hehehe

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Jester
Your chicks have really grown. What kind are they?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Only a pea comb is the one that gets 3 rows.. when it starts to grow.. at first, I think they all look the same.. A rose comb is different.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I was told they were americauna's but buying from the feed store you never know. I went to take pictures yesterday, and had a dead battery on my camera.. I guess I took too many at the JR rodeo the other day. It is now fully charged and I will get some tonight.

Only one chicken looks like it has a comb, and it is the one who is most friendly. That would be a good thing if it is a Roo. The rest of them have no signs of a comb on thier head, they are smooth.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I hope you were lucky enough to only get 1 roo in the bunch. That would save you work later.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Funny you should say that, I think I have one...

I was feeding this am and heard a strange noise coming from the coop. I ran around thinking something was wrong and here was this chicken tryine to crow... Could the ages of these chickens be wrong? at what age do they start to crow?

Here is a picture of the suspected Rooster with Billy Yesterday, it was the first time I let them run outside the coop since I was off yesterday and could keep an eye on them.,

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Front view

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

side view of Roo he is the only one who has the big comb and I caught him this morning trying to crow, is he old enough??

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Coming out

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

more

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

girls I think

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well well, a difficult guess! The comb does have a pinkish tinge. There is no sign that I can see of neck or saddle hackle feathers, which have pointy (instead of rounded) ends. But, it may be too young for that. I don't want to make it sound like you're crazy, but are you sure it was a crow? Did it sound like a broken party horn? Because sometimes when their voices change (hens I mean) from peeping to clucking, they can make funny noises. Not really crowing though. If he was doing the neck-up stance and being a broken party horn, then it's a crow.

They all look awesome though - really healthy and perky! Way to go!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

He was doing the neck-up stance and sounding like a broken horn, that is what took me by suprize... I just stood there and watched him again...I just did not know that they would do it this young. He can hear my other rooster that is out in the big chicken yard.

I will try and get you a picture of his neck. He does herd the others when they were outside yesterday. He was the first one out of the cage to check it out. I really like him and if he is a Roo, then I am so lucky cause like I said, he is very gentle and will be a good boy. He treated me and billy to a show yesterday afternoon when he took his first dirt bath. I at first thought billy had hurt him playing with him, so I picked him up and put him on his feet and he went a few steps and was ok, Then he went back to the dirt pile and continued his bath... It was such a hoot and then Billy tried it as well. He was one dirty kid.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow, he's maturing early then! Way to go! I think the dust bathing is just the funniest thing! The sunbathing makes me laugh too. Especially when they lean up against the sheep. I once thought one of them was dead, but she was just sunbathing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.